Normal Topic what are my chances? (Read 4576 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MP1980
New User

what are my chances?
May 9th, 2006 at 12:51am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently separated from the military after four years as a military police sgt. I am currently finishing up on my criminal justice associates degree but before the military I made some stupid mistakes. I used marijuana quite a few times and used cocaine and acid a couple times. I regret everything I've ever done and have not touched anything for six years now. I am also worried about a time in my life when I helped one of the guy's I used to hang out with steal some items out of the car. I never actually helped break in but I helped carry them even though I was scared out of my mind.  I really want to be a police officer and I am doing everything in my power to improve my chances but will my past come back to haunt me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Re: what are my chances?
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2006 at 1:32am
Cocaine is normally regarded as the kiss of death.
I'm sorry to tell you this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2006 at 1:06am
Sadly, the coke and lsd usage are probably dq mandatory.  Having said that, why don't you go sit down and talk to several Agencies and be straight up with them.  Your police service in the military may, just may open a door somewhere.

I wish you well.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antrella
User

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2006 at 2:27am
As the folks above have indicated, these are generally disqualifiers. Even if it was one-time experimental use, it's likely to be discovered during the background check (esp. if you were as open about it to those around you as you are here). You should be honest about it and tell the agencies what the deal is - perhaps they'll make an exception. 

Anyway, let's take a look at, say, the FBI policy:

# Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) at all in the past 10 years?
# Have you used any other illegal drug (including anabolic steroids after February 27, 1991) more than a total of five times in your life?

You said this stuff occurred 6 years ago and you've been totally clean. If it was only those four occasions (and you can identify them as such - only a handful of times) - within four years, you'd be eligible to work at the FBI. Look into the drug policy of the department to which you are applying. 

I don't advocate this - I think being honest is essential to success in this process - but you can always simply try your luck. For better or worse, I know of at least two individuals who, despite some "experimental" drug usage that pushed them to the very fringes of the drug policy, have passed lie detectors and gone on to become law enforcement officers. Make of that what you will.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2006 at 2:09am
Antrella,

Your advice is good. I recommend that he take it.  Well said.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NYPDV
New User

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2006 at 9:49pm
Where are you Applying?

NYPD will take you without a problem at all.

I have a friend on the job who used coke and some other things before he was on the job also, 

Then he did 4 years of good service in the Army, just like you, he got in without a bump in the road. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MP1980
New User

Reply #6 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 5:47pm
Im from Indianapolis, IN. and the dept. I've been applying for  small town police depts. in the area. I'm working with Indiana State Police right now. I passed the Written exam and I have the oral interview coming up in a month or so.

IP Logged

what are my chances?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X