Normal Topic Some general questions (Read 7451 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J3H3
New User

Some general questions
Apr 26th, 2006 at 11:12pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi everyone,

Right now I'm in high school but I'll be finishing soon. My dream job is a 1811 position, preferably FBI, DEA, or USSS, but other agencies would be great too.

My main questions though are on what to do on the road to getting a 1811 position. I'm planning on majoring in criminal justice because I think I could achieve a really high GPA in it, even though I know a CJ degree isn't the most unique thing. Would it be wise to stick with a CJ degree or would it make sense to go for a more "competitive" degree like accounting or political science?

Also, I know that most 1811's are not hired straight out of college. Before I (hopefully) get hired as a 1811 I'd like to do law enforcement work though, preferably still at the federal level. My question is, do federal police departments hire straight out of college? By federal police departments I mean ones like USCP, FPS, USPP, USSS UD, pentagon police, CBP, ect. Also would an ICE IEA position be achievable right after college? And finally if none of the law enforcement positions I mentioned are "easy" to get on after college what are some that would be?

I know its a ton of questions but I'd be very grateful for your answers. Thanks Grin.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Re: Some general questions
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2006 at 2:07am
J3H3 wrote on Apr 26th, 2006 at 11:12pm:
Hi everyone,
My main questions though are on what to do on the road to getting a 1811 position. I'm planning on majoring in criminal justice because I think I could achieve a really high GPA in it, even though I know a CJ degree isn't the most unique thing. Would it be wise to stick with a CJ degree or would it make sense to go for a more "competitive" degree like accounting or political science?

I've only known one person hired by the FBI as a CJ major and he spoke a foreign language.  I've known of a few CJ people hired by the DEA.  The 10 critical skills listed on their web site should give you an idea of what is valuable to the FBI.  The DEA is currently advertising the need for accounting and finance people on their web site also.

I wouldn't get a CJ degree unless you just couldn't stand any other subject.  I've been told it is more of a sociology degree than anything else. 

My question is, do federal police departments hire straight out of college?

Again, I've known people hired into the DEA with a Masters in Accounting straight out of college.  This guy was pretty sharp and on the ball though.

I won't discuss my personnel education, but I will say I do not have a liberal arts background. I've had little problem getting interviews with federal agencies. 

EDIT-----
After re-reading the original post I realize he was asking about federal police (non-1811) hiring straight out of college.  I have heard anectdotal stories of people being hired to things such as the Secret Service's Uniform Division and Pentagon Police Force after college.  I have no idea what college degrees they held.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2006 at 5:54am by Mr. Mystery »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Centurion
New User

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2006 at 2:57am
Hi everyone,

Right now I'm in high school but I'll be finishing soon. My dream job is a 1811 position, preferably FBI, DEA, or USSS, but other agencies would be great too.

Also, I know that most 1811's are not hired straight out of college. Before I (hopefully) get hired as a 1811 I'd like to do law enforcement work though, preferably still at the federal level. My question is, do federal police departments hire straight out of college? By federal police departments I mean ones like USCP, FPS, USPP, USSS UD, pentagon police, CBP, ect. Also would an ICE IEA position be achievable right after college? And finally if none of the law enforcement positions I mentioned are "easy" to get on after college what are some that would be?

I know its a ton of questions but I'd be very grateful for your answers. Thanks Grin.

I don't recommend a CJ degree for anyone, because its usefullness is limited. Not that a CJ degree is any less "academic" than other degrees, but those who want to really get into the nuts and bolts of criminiolgy should study the subject at the graduate level, in my opinion. I would recommend someone to get a more versatile degree, in the liberal arts tradition, that will strengthen their writing, reading, analytical, and thinking skills.  However, quality CJ degrees from schools known for CJ---like Northeastern or John Jay---can be used to get an FBI position. I know of several people who have become SA's with degrees from those schools. They also are known to provide the solid liberal arts foundation mentioned above.  Those skills, and not courses on criminal justice, will serve you best throughout your career. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Centurion
New User

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2006 at 3:01am
Quote:

I won't discuss my personnel education, but I will say I do not have a liberal arts background. I've had little problem getting interviews with federal agencies. 

Don't take this PERSONALLY, but it's obvious you do not have a liberal arts background. Liberal arts provide a very good foundation of writing, reading and analytical skills. For "personnel" education, try a human resources program.   

Wink

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2006 at 3:22am
I'll live  Smiley

Yes, there are liberal arts degrees that will land you in the FBI or any other 1811 position.  For example, International Studies coupled with a foreign language degree will make you quite competitive for any agency.  In fact it will earn you a hiring bonus with the Secret Service right now.

The bottom line is you should go to the web pages for the agencies you are interested in.  You'll see the same skills being repeated over and over.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2006 at 12:46am
Thanks for the replies Grin

I've recently decided that I think I should go with a criminal justice degree. I think if I took a "competitive" degree like accounting or a foreign language I'd earn a 2.5 GPA and I'd be bored as hell taking it, whereas I'd enjoy criminal justice and probably pull off a 3.7. I think the agencies would like a 3.7 CJ better than a 2.5 something else.

I plan on getting a minor as well though. I wouldn't mind doing accounting or intl relations for that. Would the agencies value a minor like that or does a minor not matter?

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2006 at 1:06am
J3H3 wrote on May 11th, 2006 at 12:46am:
I'd enjoy criminal justice and probably pull off a 3.7. I think the agencies would like a 3.7 CJ better than a 2.5 something else.

There are many 3.7 CJ majors out thier wanting 1811 slots.

Check your private messages.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 8675309
New User

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2006 at 3:04am
I'd have to agree.  And this is not just for federal jobs, but in general.

If you get a business degree in Accounting, Finance, MIS..etc, you can still become a cop, agent or whatever.  In fact, as mentioned above, those are always on the top of everyone's list.  But if you get a CJ degree, its harder to branch outward.  You are basically limiting yourself to working in that field.  And while that may be your dream right now, you may think otherwise in 5-6 years.

Of course you need to be happy with what you study and do for work, so if you want to study CJ, then by all means go for it.  But personally I would try to get as broad an education as possible, and business is the way to go!

And to add, I dont even know if they care about your GPA - I'm sure its a nice-to-have, but most of the people hired by federal agencies have years of work experience.  Once you get into the real world, GPA's don't really matter any more.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2006 at 3:51am
8675309 wrote on May 11th, 2006 at 3:04am:

But personally I would try to get as broad an education as possible, and business is the way to go!

And besides with a finance degree you can laugh all the way to the bank with a nice civilian job if you get wiped out on the polygraph!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 8675309
New User

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2006 at 5:16am
Quote:

And besides with a finance degree you can laugh all the way to the bank with a nice civilian job if you get wiped out on the polygraph!

Sadly thats the truth.  Even though I am still pissed about my FBI test, I take some comfort in knowing I have a corporate job to fall back on.  That and now I won't have to take a huge pay cut and move to East Oshkosh Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box someone
New User

Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 2:18am
I have a CJ degree, but I also have an M.S.Ed, I am also backing that up with 20 years of Military service. I am retiring in a few months, and what I am finding is that my experience is leading the way. It's nice I have a Masters degree, but I am getting calls because of my experience and proven ability to lead and manage. Get the degree you are interested in. My masters is in Counseling and I have learned that the average person makes seven to eight career changes in a life time. Good luck.  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 3:23am
You are to be applauded for getting focused so early on. A CJ degree, heavy on Poli Sci courses is not going to really hurt you in Federal service entry.  What you may want to consider is getting that degree first, and then going to work in a municipal or county police job to get some real world experience under your belt.  That is truly a leg up.  I know many Federal agents who did exactly that, and they enter Federal service with hash marks on their sleeves.

Good luck to you

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 4:57am
Thanks guys! Smiley

Maybe while I'm in college I'll become an local auxiliary officer or a local reserve officer so I can get some LE under my belt as I get the degree.

IP Logged

Some general questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X