Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Secret Service (Read 10831 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Re: Secret Service
Reply #15 - May 20th, 2006 at 2:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Mystery
I continue to be amused and charmed by your youth and sensitivity. I think I have been pretty even handed with you, and can certainly justify and explain anything I have said. If you think I am hurting polygraphers in some way by having a discussion of fairness or joking about your obvious youth and naivete' then good luck with the tooth fairy.
May I suggest, as someone who has truly been there and done that, that you develop a bit of a thicker skin and perhaps a sense of humor esp. if you want to work in law enforcement? The human circus is no place for the innocent.
And dont go maxing out moms credit card just yet on new FBI suits. since by your own admission you have tested for other agencies, and still seem to be available on the job market, there is something employers are hesitant about perhaps.  They might be looking for some experience to go with that student loan of yours...just a thought.  Im done with you, good luck in your chosen profession.  You have picked wisely.

Fair Chance-how about some help for this guy?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #16 - May 20th, 2006 at 6:57am
For the record:

1. The Breeze comes here and post without vicious language which is far better than most of the pro-polygraph posters at this site.

2.  The Breeze does not agree with usage of the polygraph for pre-employment screening.

3.  The Breeze does agree that the recording of polygraph examination can benefit the examiner and examinee.

4.  My limited expererience with polygraph usage in the FBI pre-screening process was horrible.  I will keep an open mind and I am still waiting for some third party research (which is not based upon proponents or opponents) of the polygraph used in specific cases.

5.  The Breeze at least gives this site a target for their darts.  What more can we ask?

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2006 at 3:52pm
Fair Chance
Thanks for the personal clarification. Your balanced view has earned my respect and there is obvious truth in your posts, in contrast to the usual fodder on this site.

But, I was hoping you would give Mystery a realistic heads up about what he can expect, and his chances for success. I hear a little too much idealism in his posts which I fear is about ready to crash into the brick wall that you and I know too well of govt. ineptitude. You may of already done this however, and anyway its up to all of us to make our own way.

I was wondering, and feel free not to answer this, if you had any repercussions from the bureau ( I am making the assumption your now FBI) for posting here. It would of been pretty obvious who you were as I remember your candid past posts.  I think that topic could be of great interest to the folks posting here, right or wrong.  As we spoke a long time ago, I believe now more than ever that government uses the polygraph as a way to disqualify someone they find unexceptional rather than have to explain it with hard data. Of course this is just a theory, but what do you do with all these overqualified white males? easy; tell them they were not within acceptable limits on the polygraph!  The "re-test" seems designed simply to reinforce the first, and to appease the applicant.  When I hear 40-50% failure rates at various agencies, I know something else is afoot.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #18 - May 21st, 2006 at 6:44am
Dear Breeze,

Your presentation of a 40 to 50 percent initial polygraph exam failure rate with almost a 100% retest failure on appeal says it all.  Refusal to allow the process to be recorded avoids accountability.

Being found to be not within acceptable parameters would not be such a problem if it did not black mark you from future employment with other Federal Agencies and leave a cloud of suspicion that you are a security risk.

Too many applicants, too few positions.  It is just the law of supply and demand.

I have expounded upon this many times in the past year.  Just take a look at about fifty of my most recent post.  It is out there to see.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nolehce
User

Reply #19 - May 21st, 2006 at 7:35am
Quote:
Being found to be not within acceptable parameters would not be such a problem if it did not black mark you from future employment with other Federal Agencies

I have never heard a definitive answer to these two questions: (1) does the FBI share a candidate's "not within acceptable parameters" results with CIA, DIA or NSA? *and* (2) What constitutes a "national records check?"

God knows I'd never again want to work for the FBI after what I went through with their condescension and ineptitude. But I still feel patriotic and might want to serve at another agency someday, polygraph bulls-it notwithstanding.

I would just find it hard to believe that all these agencies that "couldn't connect the dots" pre-9/11 would be able to arrive at an awareness amongst themselves that a candidate for one agency had "failed" a polygraph at another agency.

Can anyone shed definitive light on (1) and (2) above?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #20 - May 21st, 2006 at 8:10am
nolehce wrote on May 21st, 2006 at 7:35am:
(1) does the FBI share a candidate's "not within acceptable parameters" results with CIA, DIA or NSA?

Yes.

Quote:
(2) What constitutes a "national records check?"

The proper term is "National Agency Check." You'll find it defined in the Security Policy Board's Investigative Standards for Background Investigations for Access to Classified Information:

Quote:
7. The National Agency Check. The National Agency Check is a part of all investigations and reinvestigations. It consists of a review of (a) investigative and criminal history files of the FBI, including a technical fingerprint search;

(b) OPM's Security/Suitability Investigations Index;

(c) DoD's Defense Clearance and Investigations Index; and

(d) such other national agencies (e.g., CIA, INS) as appropriate to the individual's background.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Secret Service

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X