Normal Topic Don't answer it this way (Read 5497 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Don't answer it this way
Apr 25th, 2006 at 12:53am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
When asked the question by the hiring board:  "Could you in the line of duty take a life?".

Please don't, ever answer, or even think about saying "Yes, I look forward to the opportunity"  Honest, it happened today.

DQ in our shop.

Ya'll stay safe

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Re: Don't answer it this way
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:42am
factorfiction wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:41am:
i answered yes, and made it clear that it would be a last resort thing and scored very high on my orals. why would you recommend not answering yes?

tnx

Answer yes, just don't show the same enthusiasm as Dippity’s applicant.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 11:16am
Dippity,

Unfortunately this really does not surprise me.  Is it just me or do people like this seem to be coming out of the wood work and becoming the norm?

I don't think I can out do that particular one, but about a year ago on ethics questions that read as follows I almost fell off my chair with this guy:

You have just taken into custody an attractive perpetrator of the opposite sex for drug possesion and distribution as well as obstruction and child endangerment.  The perpetrator tells you that he/she finds you very interesting and tells you that he/she would like to get together with you and make amends for the earlier altercation.  He/she asks you out to dinner next week.
[i]Respond[/i]
applicant:  Well I guess that would be pretty cool of her.
Board member:
Is that a yes?
Yeah, sure as long as she pays. Shocked

You have received an officer in need of assistance call over the radio.  Upon arrival on the scene you notice an officer who attended the academy with you using his baton to strike an unconcious suspect on the face, neck and back.  
Respond
Applicant:  
I guess I would take out my baton and back him up.  
Board Member:
Back up who?
Apllicant:  
back up my buddy.  I am sure that guy probably deserved the beating for what ever he did.
Board Member:
Would you do anything else?
Applicant:
Probably try to stay out of the way of the batons so I don't get hit Shocked

If they answer like this on the oral board can you imagine what a headache they will be out on the streets?

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:18pm
Dippity:

Tell me your kidding.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:25pm
Dimas

I only sat on a few entrance orals and a lot of promotion orals. When  we got answers like yours to the scenarios from applicants  I tried not to but sometimes I would shake my head in disbelief and try to think what was going through their minds when they gave those answers.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 2:59am
[quote author=dimas link=board=police;num=1145915594;start=0#3 date=04/25/06 at 04:16:43]Dippity,

Unfortunately this really does not surprise me.  Is it just me or do people like this seem to be coming out of the wood work and becoming the norm?

I don't think I can out do that particular one, but about a year ago on ethics questions that read as follows I almost fell off my chair with this guy:

You have just taken into custody an attractive perpetrator of the opposite sex for drug possesion and distribution as well as obstruction and child endangerment.  The perpetrator tells you that he/she finds you very interesting and tells you that he/she would like to get together with you and make amends for the earlier altercation.  He/she asks you out to dinner next week.
[i]Respond[/i]
applicant:  Well I guess that would be pretty cool of her.
Board member:
Is that a yes?
Yeah, sure as long as she pays. Shocked

Lousy applicant, but he probably gets laid?

You have received an officer in need of assistance call over the radio.  Upon arrival on the scene you notice an officer who attended the academy with you using his baton to strike an unconcious suspect on the face, neck and back.  
Respond
Applicant:  
I guess I would take out my baton and back him up.  
Board Member:
Back up who?
Apllicant:  
back up my buddy.  I am sure that guy probably deserved the beating for what ever he did.
Board Member:
Would you do anything else?
Applicant:
Probably try to stay out of the way of the batons so I don't get hit Shocked

God help us all.

If they answer like this on the oral board can you imagine what a headache they will be out on the streets?

Yup, sure can!. Now, we have more oral boards in the morning starting at 0900. Hopefully Dimas my friend, I will have some positive comments to report.  But please, don't hold your breath.

Stay safe.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 3:00am
[quote author=factorfiction link=board=police;num=1145915594;start=0#1 date=04/24/06 at 20:41:33]i answered yes, and made it clear that it would be a last resort thing and scored very high on my orals. why would you recommend not answering yes?

Mr Mystery pegged this one in his answer!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 3:01am
[quote author=retcopper link=board=police;num=1145915594;start=0#4 date=04/25/06 at 08:18:53]Dippity:

Tell me your kidding. 

Ain't kidding my brother. the whole truth 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 3:03am
[quote author=retcopper link=board=police;num=1145915594;start=0#5 date=04/25/06 at 08:25:39]Dimas

I only sat on a few entrance orals and a lot of promotion orals. When  we got answers like yours to the scenarios from applicants  I tried not to but sometimes I would shake my head in disbelief and try to think what was going through their minds when they gave those answers.

Guess they were trying to be funny.  A good story though.  Applicant said that Horatio Hornblower wore red shirts so his crew wouldn't see the blood when he was shot.  He said that he hoped that we would understand why he was wearing brown pants.  He made it to the next level LOL

Stay safe

IP Logged

Don't answer it this way

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X