Normal Topic Re: Polygraph tomorrow (Read 4674 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Polygraph tomorrow
Apr 24th, 2006 at 7:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Who is administering the polygraph? The police or a private polygrapher selected by your lawyer? Have you signed any agreement stipulating that the results will be admissible as evidence in court?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 8:25pm
You will likely face a probable-lie CQT. The likely technique used will be the Zone Comparison Test (ZCT). Note that the anal sphincter contraction is not recommended as a countermeasure.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 8:49pm
Quote:
If there are no pads on my seat is the sphincter contraction okay to do or just the tongue bite?

Yes. But my first choice would be mental countermeasures.

Quote:
Also, I have a list of questions I have been practicing and was curious to see if they might be what i will be facing?

You have correctly identified the kinds of questions you might be asked, and correctly identified the appropriate points at which to produce a reaction.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 9:40pm
Quote:
I have followed the book and plan on holding my breath for 4 seconds right after the control question then returning to my breathing pattern is that correct?

Yes, that will produce a scorable reaction on the pneumo channel. However, it would be wise to show some variation. If all reactions on the chart appear as regular as clockwork, the polygrapher may interpret that as a sign of countermeasure use.

As for mental countermeasures, if one chooses to use mathematical calculations, one can always choose a problem complex enough that one won't be able to solve it in 20 seconds. Or one could use mental imagery, such as thinking about falling from a high place.

Of course, whether to use mental countermeasures or tongue biting (or to alternate) is up to you. I would focus on one of these two (or both, but not at the same time) rather than the anal sphincter contraction.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box factorfiction
New User

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:38am
Hello George

why do you dislike the anal CM so much, if there is no padding. i was planning on using that because i noticed thats really the only one that makes my HR increase.

Also on a LE control question (i guess thats the type of test they will use) ive heard the actual testing phase takes about 45 minutes, how many control questions will they throw at me during the complete test? and will there be control questions in each phase or there will only be afew in the begining of the test and that will be it for the 2nd set of questions etc etc..

thanks in advance

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:45am
factorfiction wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:38am:
Hello George

why do you dislike the anal CM so much, if there is no padding. i was planning on using that because i noticed thats really the only one that makes my HR increase.

Also on a LE control question (i guess thats the type of test they will use) ive heard the actual testing phase takes about 45 minutes, how many control questions will they throw at me during the complete test? and will there be control questions in each phase or there will only be afew in the begining of the test and that will be it for the 2nd set of questions etc etc..

thanks in advance

If you feel your heart rate rising there is a distinct possibility that you are over applying the constriction.

I don't believe I've ever read a case on this web site where someone under applied countermeasures and was caught. Generally it seems to be the over application that does applicants in.

I believe Williams recommends that you go no more than half strength on your constriction and he also states that it is "vitually impossible to under apply".

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 8:09am
factorfiction wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:38am:
Hello George

The reason I would choose mental countermeasures as a first choice is that they are simple, effective, and undetectable, and there is no counter-countermeasure strategy that might cause me to abandon them.

Quote:

thanks in advance

If you're administered a CQT, each questions series will include "control" questions. It's not uncommon for up to three "control" questions to be included in a series. In addition to the DoDPI Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test examiner's guide, see the message thread LAPD Polygraph Questions Disclosed for examples of "control" questions commonly used in pre-employment polygraph screening.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box HomeSteader
New User

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 6:41pm
OK....
FIrst you say there is NO evidence or proof of countermeasure detection.

Now you say that there is a counter-countermeasure for ye 'ol sphincter method.....
Which is it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 8:27pm
The piezo sensor pad has been out for many years as a measure against sphincter contraction.  It is well documented, the TBTLD discusses this.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2006 at 9:14pm by Mr. Mystery »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box plzhelpmene1
New User

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 9:13pm
THANK YOU GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!!!  I passed w/o using the sphincter contraction.  Controlled my breathing mixed it up on the Controlled questions.  Tongue bite and mental CM's used.  I practiced my arse off with a recorder

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 9:15pm
HomeSteader wrote on Apr 26th, 2006 at 6:41pm:
OK....
FIrst you say there is NO evidence or proof of countermeasure detection.

Now you say that there is a counter-countermeasure for ye 'ol sphincter method.....
Which is it?

HomeSteader,

As Mr. Mystery indicated, your question is addressed at pp. 149-150 of the 4th edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

Quote:
What About the Anal Sphincter Contraction?

The first three editions of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector included constriction of the anal sphincter muscle as a physical countermeasure to be applied timely with the asking of the “control” questions. This is one of the most discussed polygraph countermeasures (Lykken, 1998; Williams 1996; Reid & Inbau, 1977), and readers may well wonder why it has been dropped from this book.

In recent years, polygraph manufacturers such as Lafayette and Axciton have begun marketing piezoelectric sensor pads that they claim aid in the detection of physical countermeasures. These pads are typically placed on the seat of the polygraph chair, and additional pads may also be placed on the armrests or beneath the subject’s feet. While no polygrapher has ever demonstrated any ability to detect the anal sphincter contraction employed as a countermeasure, even with the aid of such pads, we cannot exclude the possibility that a sphincter contraction might result in a detectable change in weight distribution over the surface of a piezoelectric sensor pad. Given this uncertainty, we believe that mental countermeasures or tongue-biting, which plainly cannot be detected by such means, are preferable.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X