Normal Topic I have a friend (Read 5566 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box boeing747
New User

I have a friend
Apr 23rd, 2006 at 10:31pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well too everyone on this site who is scared of failing the poly because of illegal drug use many years ago.  I have who friend who works for a very respectable government agency and back in the days of youth, we would smoke marijuana everyday during the summer.  He finally shaped up and stopped using the crap.  He wanted to go into law enforcement and was afraid of his past drug use.  He studied the methods used to cheat the polygraph and passed with flying colors and was hired.  Too everyone who is scared, just study the material here closely and get a private polygrapher and do a couple practice polygraphs and you will do fine.  The polygraph is a junk machine and couldn't tell you anything.  Anybody can beat this no matter what.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Re: I have a friend
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 6:39pm
Tell that to the female CIA agent who just flunked the polygraph and admitted to lying.  Do you think she got caught using counter measures?  mmmmmm

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 7:31pm
retcopper wrote on Apr 24th, 2006 at 6:39pm:
 Do you think she got caught using counter measures?  mmmmmm

No I don't.  The first counter measure taught is:

MAKE NO ADMISSIONS!

Since she couldn't get this basic counter measure correct I doubt she tried any other CMs.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2006 at 7:39pm
So she makes an admission.  Doesnt mean she didnt use cms during the test.  Why dont you face it, she got caught.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box boeing747
New User

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:06am
Just stop being naive.  Anyone can pass the test if they want.  You can't do anything about it.  Why dont you polygraphers be honest for once and admit that the polygraph is junk.  You want truth from all your applicants so be honest with them.  To me you guys are the deceitful ones.  Everybody agrees with that.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 10:56am
boeing747 wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 3:06am:
Just stop being naive.  Anyone can pass the test if they want.  You can't do anything about it.  Why dont you polygraphers be honest for once and admit that the polygraph is junk.  You want truth from all your applicants so be honest with them.  To me you guys are the deceitful ones.  Everybody agrees with that.

I kind of have to interject here and put my humble 2 cents in.  While I agree that the polygraph in NO way should be the sole determining factor in making a decision that will affect a person's life forever.  I do believe that it is and will probably continue to be a great interview tool and a noteworthy confession maker.   

It amazes me how everyone is quick to dismiss the polygraph as junk.  Yes, it is not 100% right nor an exact tool, but neither am I!  and I have never seen or heard coworkers in any of the departments I have worked in say the same about my interview and confession skills.  Yes, some of us have a very good sense at telling who "is" and "is not" a scum bag and whether or not they are lying.  I happen to be pretty darn good at it. Let me pose a hypothetical and say "what if the polygrapher also happens to be a damn good cop with damn good intuition, interview skills etc.?"  Would he not be even better at eliciting confessions with the polygraph than without?   

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 5:25pm
dimas wrote on Apr 25th, 2006 at 10:56am:
Let me pose a hypothetical and say "what if the polygrapher also happens to be a damn good cop with damn good intuition, interview skills etc.?"  Would he not be even better at eliciting confessions with the polygraph than without? 

In my opinion the use of the polygraph as an interrogation intimidator is fine.  You could also put a shiny rock on the table in the interview room and tell the suspect that it glows when someone tells a lie in its presence.  If the suspect believes you then the shiny rock will be just as effective as the polygraph in eliciting damaging admissions.

The problem, in my opinion, comes when the interview ends and no confession has been made.  In cases like that the polygraph is precisely as effective as the aforementioned shiny rock would be in determining what the suspect was thinking during the interview.   

If polygraphs were only used in such a manner, that is, in an attempt to elicit a damaging admission, I wouldn’t have a problem with it.  If an applicant for a law enforcement job admitted to something of a disqualifying nature during their polygraph exam that would be great.  But if they didn’t admit to anything because they had nothing to admit and were disqualified anyway that would be terrible.  And I believe that qualified and honest people are DQ’d because of a false-positive on the polygraph at a much higher rate than dishonest, unqualified people who somehow made it through the background check are tripped up at the last minute by making a disqualifying admission during their polygraph.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mrsebbys
New User

Reply #7 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 11:12pm
all these questions make me nervous about taking the test.   ???

If I am taking the test and have nothing to hide but I get nervous for what ever reason, is that a reason for me to fail?   

I'm the type of individual that will get semi-nervous if someone starts asking too many questions.  ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jul 3rd, 2006 at 11:55pm
mrsebbys wrote on Jul 3rd, 2006 at 11:12pm:
all these questions make me nervous about taking the test.   ???

If I am taking the test and have nothing to hide but I get nervous for what ever reason, is that a reason for me to fail?  

I'm the type of individual that will get semi-nervous if someone starts asking too many questions.  ???

Well, you should be nervous.  It's a crap-shoot and your future is based on non-scientific process of a faulty mechanism.  Being informed about the mind-games and the use of CMs is the only thing that will help relieve your nervousness.  In addition to using CMs, you should also practice controlling your body language.   
Read the section in TLBTD about "How Polygraphers May Expect Deceptive Subjects to Behave" that starts around page 135.

IP Logged

I have a friend

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X