Normal Topic Suggestions for a great outcome??? (Read 2341 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LPInvestigator
New User

Suggestions for a great outcome???
Apr 22nd, 2006 at 7:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi, I have applied to be a police officer for a city and had a few questions. I have just had my background check cleared and I'm waiting to be scheduled for the polygraph examination. I have been trying to become a police officer for six years and now I'm almost there. 

I'm not sure if any of this will matter but, I work for a retail company as an Investigator. I have taken several classes for retail Interview and Interrogation and Interpretations of behaviors. I have taken a class and read several documents on polygraph interview and interrogation techniques including this manual. I have been to other investigator classes to deal with deception methods. I have been in this line of work and training for over five years.

My biggest question is will my knowledge and experience in deception methods and polygraphs effect my outcome of taking a polygraph test?
Should I apply countermeasures? 
If so, should I practice these before I go and how much practice is required?
How would you suggest I practice?
Will applying countermeasures risk my chances of not passing at all?
If I must lie to a question is there anything different I need to do? (besides the countermeasures)
If I fail is it worth it to fight the decision?
Is the VSA test the same as a poly?
Does it matter if the polygraph is computerized or analog?
When asked about what I know about the polygraph, what should I do and say?

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.B. McCloughan
Very Senior User

Re: Suggestions for a great outcome???
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 8:31am
It is my understanding from anecdotal evidence that knowledge of the procedures does not affect the outcome of a polygraph examination.

There is research that suggests that when truthful people used countermeasures they achieved unfavorable results on their examination.  Also, some agencies may have policies that cause adverse actions toward a prospective employee's appointment if they are found to be using countermeasures.

I would suggest that you be completely honest with your examiner regarding your knowledge and concerns.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Suggestions for a great outcome???
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:05pm
LPInvestigator wrote on Apr 22nd, 2006 at 7:46am:
My biggest question is will my knowledge and experience in deception methods and polygraphs effect my outcome of taking a polygraph test?

Quite possibly. Polygraph "testing" is based on the assumption that the examinee doesn't know the difference between relevant and "control" questions.

If you admit your knowledge of polygraph procedure to your polygrapher (as J.B. McCloughan, himself a polygrapher, suggests), you run the risk of being arbitrarily accused of deception and/or countermeasure use.

Quote:
Should I apply countermeasures?

That's a call you'll have to make for yourself. But knowing that polygraph screening is completely invalid, and that many agencies have pre-employment polygraph failure rates on the order of 50% (much worse odds than Russian roulette), if I were in your shoes, I would definitely employ countermeasures rather than leave things to chance.

Quote:
If so, should I practice these before I go and how much practice is required?

If you do choose to use countermeasures, it would be wise to practice as much as possible. You should understand polygraph proceduce well enough to identify relevant, irrelevant, and "control" questions on-the-fly, and to employ a technique such as mental countermeasures or tongue-biting without visible change.

Quote:
How would you suggest I practice?

One thing you might do is to make a tape recording of a sample question series and practice the countermeasures as you listen to the questions being asked. Typical question series are found in the Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handook, the DoDPI Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test examiner's guide, and the appendices of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which may be downloaded, respectively, at:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/federal-polygraph-handbook-01-03-2004.pdf

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-lepet.pdf

http://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

Quote:
Will applying countermeasures risk my chances of not passing at all?

Possibly. If you mistake a relevant question for a "control" question, and augment a reaction to it, you're likely to fail. But there is no evidence that polygraphers have any ability to detect the countermeasures explained in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Quote:
If I must lie to a question is there anything different I need to do? (besides the countermeasures)

I think applicants for positions of public trust have an ethical obligation to answer relevant questions truthfully.

Quote:
If I fail is it worth it to fight the decision?

Yes. Even if the decision is not ultimately overturned (it probably won't be), you don't want an uncontested accusation of deception to be the last thing in your file.

Quote:
Is the VSA test the same as a poly?

No. But it, too, has no scientific basis.

Quote:
Does it matter if the polygraph is computerized or analog?

No more than it matters whether your astrological chart is interpreted by a wizard or a computer.

Quote:
When asked about what I know about the polygraph, what should I do and say?

Polygraphers want to hear something positive. You can tell your polygrapher that you've seen it on TV and in the movies, that a friend in law enforcement told you to just tell the truth and you'll do fine, or something similar.

As I mentioned above, if you admit to knowing that polygraphy is junk science and that you know about polygraph countermeasures, you're likely to incur the polygrapher's wrath and be arbitrarily accused of deception and/or countermeasure use.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Suggestions for a great outcome???

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X