Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Vegas Polygraph (Read 15848 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tarlain
Senior User

Re: Vegas Polygraph
Reply #30 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So you would agree then that I could record my own conversations and do as I wish with them as long as they are not used for blackmail, extortion, etc.?

I'm certainly going to consult reliable counsel before such an event, but I still have not seen anything that implies I can not carry through with my recording.

The main point is that I want to post them to give people an idea of how the process works.  Ignorance causes the greatest amount of fear if you ask me.

edit:  as for the "Cops" show, they are still recording without permission.  That part has to be legal.  The only reason they are forced to get consent is because they are profitting off of the "actors" involved  Tongue.  If it is freely distributed, I do not think I have any reason to ask for consent.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 6:51am
As I am not well versed in the laws with regard to "taping" do not rely upon the information I provide as it is my understanding.

I see no reason, legally, why you could not audio record a polygraph exam.  If one is seriously seeking employment, I would advise against it.  If one if seeking information only, why not.

That being said, I believe the actual offering of such a recording would possibly violate "taping" law.  Again, I have no reference and this is sheerly conjecture.

As far as "COPS" is concerned, digitized or other methods to obscure identity must be in place if consent is not received prior to public broadcast as "COPS" is non-news programming for public consumption.  There is a difference between your local 6 o'clock news and COPS.  The news is publicized information for the better good of the community versus COPS which is entertainment programming.  What happens in San Antonio does not have a public impact on the folks in Boston.  I believe a clandestine taping to be the same as COPS.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #32 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 1:11pm
In Connecticut it is not illegal to record a conversation between you and another person, regardless of whether you tell the other they are being recorded.

The applicable statutes are:
CGS 53a-187
CGS 53a-188
CGS 53a-188

I can't seem to insert a hyperlink on the board this morning, so I'll have to post the whole URL: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap952.htm#Sec53a-187.htm.  Just click on that one and scroll down the page to see the other two statutes.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #33 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:02pm
You keep asking "am I allowed to record my own conversationn?"  Of course you are. Just  turn the tape recorder on when you start talking and have a ball listening to yourselff speak.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #34 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:35pm
Tarlain:

Ill repeat it  again,  the law in the state where I live prohibits the recording of a conversation of anohter without his or  her consent.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #35 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 8:44pm
retcopper,

in my state, it's against the law to walk on the lines of a sidewalk.  it's also unlawful to fly kites during the crescent moon.

but seriously, where do you pull this information from and/or what state are you referring to?  everytime you try to convince me it's illegal, my internal polygraph test goes bonkers  Grin

it strikes me as the same spiel with nothing to back it up.  please do not take offense to my doubt, but at this point, i refuse to accept anything as truth without finding it in legal writing.

edit:  thanks for the input from everyone.

CGS 53a-187  = "without the consent of either the sender or receiver"

CGS 53a-188 = "Knowing that he does not have the consent of the sender or receiver"

those quotes are pulled directly from the penal code.  if the code stated "sender AND receiver"...then i would be out of luck.  but it uses the word OR.  and unless someone wants to revisit my Critical Thinking201 class with me, the word OR there means either party can grant permisson.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #36 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 9:24pm
Twoblock:

You are correct. A recording device is not a "wire tap" device BUT it is prohibited under the "wiretap" statute of Pa.

Tarlain:

The wiretap section in the Crimes Code of PA prohibits the taping of another without their consent.  Just last week the PA State Police removed vido cameras from school buseds because it was recording voice as well as video which is  violation of the Crimes Code.  Of course, you should listen to you lawyer's advice and do what he says.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #37 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 9:30pm
Tarlain:

I think you're mixing apples and oranges. Fed Laws are different and each state probably  has different applicable laws.  Like I said, go by what your attorney tells you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #38 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 10:10pm
retcopper

It's sad to hear that your state is removing the vidio because of the audio part. Both need to be in place on school buses. That's a bad, bad code. In my state bus drivers are cursed and assaulted by students often. It's just another step in taking away control of kids from the school. Physical punishment has long been taken away from parents and schools. I believe that's why our jails and prisons are filling up. Kids today grow up not respecting parents, schools or anything else. I guess, however, that's why the polygrapher's chair is always busy. I'll guess again that you had rather not be so busy by law breakers who grew up like this.

How about working with people like me to get rid of politicians who believe they the only ones who should be in control.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 11:57pm
retcopper wrote on Apr 20th, 2006 at 9:30pm:
Tarlain:

I think you're mixing apples and oranges. Fed Laws are different and each state probably  has different applicable laws.  Like I said, go by what your attorney tells you.

Federal and state/local law are indeed quite different, particularly when DoD is involved;  within highly-protected facilities called SCIFs (Special Compartmented Information Facilities), it is unauthorized to bring in electronic equipment and media of any kind without the express consent of the facility commander.  This includes cell phones, laptops, blackberries, and recording devices.  All are subject to immediate confiscation if discovered.  Incidentally, when one sets foot in a federal government facility or military installation, implied consent to search is given for your person, vehicle, or anything you are carrying.  As far as recording exams, most DoD programs record their exams either by audio or video, or both.  Traditional recordings (cassette tapes, vcr tapes, etc) are generally kept for about 90 days, then erased.  They are kept in the event a complaint is received by an examinee against an examiner for allegations of inappropriate behavior, verbal abuse, etc.  The recording is then reviewed by supervisory personnel to substantiate or refute the allegation(s).  The newer polygraph equipment have built-in digital recorders and may be kept longer.  During a DoD exam, the examiner is required under DoD regulations to advise examinees of the presence of recording devices, observation (one-way) mirrors, and any other external equipment.  In my 20+ years in the profession, recording of a poly has never been an issue of contention by an examinee.  Personally, I couldn't care less if someone had a recording device during their exam.  We both know the exam is being recorded by me, so what's the difference.  Only an abusive or unethical examiner would be concerned.  I have more concern for an examinee bringing in a concealed weapon or illegal drugs into my room, which has in fact happened.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #40 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 1:14am
Thank for all the input.  As far as the buses, I'd sign a parental consent to allow it.  And if my son/daughter was not sitting with hands folded, quietly waiting for his/her bus stop, I would instantly be enforcing significant discipline.

Growing up as a military brat, I had not thought about the fact that we did agree to all the mentioned above when living on base housing, etc.  If the polygraph is done in a govt building, I can see how this would pose a problem I had not considered.  I absolutely understand why misc electronic and recording device would be prohibited.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure where tests are normally done.  I guess I'll find out in the future.

On a side comment, it takes FOREVER to work your way through the hiring process of these LE applications!  It's never taken me more than a couple weeks to apply/accept previous job offers.  It's looking like I could be waiting months and months just to get to the polygraph part of the process (sheesh).

Anyhow, thanks again.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #41 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 3:52pm
Fortunately the legislature is going to review the current wiretapping statute, the school bus issue and hopefully amend it to allow the audio portion.  In the mean time many schools have disconnected the cameras and/ or have eliminated  just the audio portion. Like Twoblock said, it is a sad commentary when some kids are a threat on the schoolbus. 

Quickfix: Personally I dont have a problem with anyone taping one of my polygraph exams as long as it doesn't interfere with the process. What I do object to is speaking to someone in any kind of other situation where they tape your conversation without your knowledge. This happened a couple of times when I was a police officer. The complaintant would tape record us when we responded  to her complaints about various things.  The tape vindicated us when she tried to use it against us but the idea that someone tape records my conversation without my permission is unsettling.   

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #42 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:27pm
retcopper,
I find your last statement very odd.  Why would it bother you if you were "taped" without your knowledge?  If I understand your background correct, you are a public servant.  Integrity should be your foundation.  It does not seem to fit...that a person of high integrity would do anything different if others could view their behavior.  I'm not sure if that makes sense.  But in my occupation, it is certainly assumed that all my actions would be identical regardless of whether there is a hard copy of my behavior.  The fact you actually care if other people know what you do when you feel you are alone with someone is unsettling to me.   

Of course, I carry myself each day as if each of my actions is being judged by a higher authority.  Maybe the judgement of God makes man's judgement pale in my mind.  Just my thoughts...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #43 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:36pm
Tarlain wrote on Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:27pm:
retcopper,
I find your last statement very odd.  Why would it bother you if you were "taped" without your knowledge?  If I understand your background correct, you are a public servant.  Integrity should be your foundation.  It does not seem to fit...that a person of high integrity would do anything different if others could view their behavior.  I'm not sure if that makes sense.  But in my occupation, it is certainly assumed that all my actions would be identical regardless of whether there is a hard copy of my behavior.  The fact you actually care if other people know what you do when you feel you are alone with someone is unsettling to me....

Tarlain,

Put aside the whole polygraph/investigations situation for a moment .  Do you mean to tell me that you would not be the least bit bothered if you found out that somebody (you didn't even know) secretly taped a conversation between you and that person?

Boy, you guys acuse us polygraphers of being sneaky and dishonest.  At least we TELL you when you are going to be taped. Shocked

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #44 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:48pm
Retcopper/Tarlain:  let me clarify that I wouldn't have any objections to my exam being recorded by an examinee with prior knowledge;  I would object if it were done covertly.  As a federal employee, I am bound by DoD and federal regulations to advise examinees that all portions of the exam are subject to monitoring and recording, and the advisement is prominently posted in writing on the monitor room door;  furthermore, to protect the examinee's privacy, only authorized individuals, such as other examiners, attorneys, and case agents, are allowed to monitor exams, and only if another examiner is present in the monitor room.  If an examinee covertly records an exam, there is no telling what editing might be done afterward to make it appear something was/wasn't said.  One could make the same argument against the examiner, but under regulation, we are bound to protect the tapes from alteration and release to unauthorized third-parties.  If an examinee wanted to tape our session, I wouldn't object, but I would certainly ensure that our copy is held on to far longer than the typical 90 days.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Vegas Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X