Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Vegas Polygraph (Read 15862 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Re: Vegas Polygraph
Reply #15 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 12:17am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Just wondering Tarlain,

What do you do for a living?  I am not being a smart ass here.  I would really like to know...

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tarlain
Senior User

Reply #16 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 2:02am
I had to think about whether I should answer this question.  Then I wondered why I was evening debating with myself...and it hit me.  I don't TRUST you.   

My occupation is extremely unique and would stick out like a sore thumb if my future mindreaders were to peruse this site.  So for the sake of my fun, I guess that will have to suffice. 

I do my job because I enjoy helping people overcome illness...and love patient care.  I find it appalling that others spend the "bulk" of their time lying to these same people...while looking down upon them for refusing to lay their souls bare before you.  It baffles the mind.

edit:  i'm not a doctor or rn...before that assuming mind begins.  it really is quite unique.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:06am
Tarlain wrote on Apr 19th, 2006 at 2:02am:
I had to think about whether I should answer this question.  Then I wondered why I was evening debating with myself...and it hit me.  I don't TRUST you.  

My occupation is extremely unique and would stick out like a sore thumb if my future mindreaders were to peruse this site.  So for the sake of my fun, I guess that will have to suffice. 

I do my job because I enjoy helping people overcome illness...and love patient care.  I find it appalling that others spend the "bulk" of their time lying to these same people...while looking down upon them for refusing to lay their souls bare before you.  It baffles the mind.

edit:  i'm not a doctor or rn...before that assuming mind begins.  it really is quite unique.

Interesting; thank you...

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #18 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:39pm
Tarlain

I don't think a mike will cause any interference with the machine. There is nothing about the machine that is sensitive to radio frequency.

Did you notice that Nonombre didn't answer your question about recording his tests? Could be because maybe he's a Fed. and not state or local polygrapher as he has allowed. Seems like I read where Fed polygraphers do not allow audio or vidio. 

I'm glad I dig gravel and blast holes in mountains for a living. If Nonombre would ever visit my mine, I would let him get experience in real hard, dirty and honest work.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #19 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 5:41pm
Tarlain:

Since you like "funny" things here's something to think about.  In my state its a violation of the wiretap laws to tape anothers conversation without advisng that person beforehand.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #20 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 9:21pm
Retcopper

That was before 9/11. Since then the Feds wire tap any one they want without a court order.

I don't know what's your state but, I think if the recording is used "only" to protect ones self, honesty and integrity it is not against the law. Technically, a recording device is not a wire tap. PI's use recording devices all the time without a court order.

Tarlain may want to just use the recording for his own knowledge about the polygraph. In that case, he's legal. Particularly if he isn't caught. I record political speaches, that I attend, so I can put the facts in their face when they don't come through with their promises. When they are elected, they don't give a damn how much they are recorded.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Apr 19th, 2006 at 10:57pm
In case anyone is interested, under federal law, electronic monitoring/recording is covered under Title 18, USC, the federal Wiretapping Investigative Monitoring Eavesdropping Activities (WIMEA) Act;  an overview can be viewed at

www.epic.org/privacy/wiretap/98-326.pdf

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #22 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 12:08am
"It is a federal crime to wiretap or to use a machine to cature the communications of others without court approval, unless one of the parties has given their prior consent."

Am I missing something?  Would not I qualify as "one of the parties" giving consent?   

For the record though, this is why I asked.  I felt that these shady people might force me to sign away my right to record my own voice.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #23 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 1:07am
quickfix

Thanks for posting the link.

I had read the section on public speakers (politicians), before I started recording them, to be sure I was legal. Besides, most of the time, there is a TV camera or radio or both recording the speaker.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, but it appears that the secret words are "disclosure" and "commerce". If the information gathered is never revealed, is there a law broken? I'll study it more closely later.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #24 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 1:27am
I have sought the opinion of a lawyer (friend of a friend type of thing).  I was told that I am absolutely allowed to record any conversation(s) I have.  Polygraphers are NOT allowed to require you to turn off any recording devices.  Lastly, I was told that if discovered, the odds I end up being "deceptive" will be 110% regardless of how I answer (no surprise).

I am still unable to find any legal document or precedent that states or implies that it is unlawful for me to record my own conversations.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #25 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 3:24am
Twoblock wrote on Apr 19th, 2006 at 4:39pm:
Tarlain

Did you notice that Nonombre didn't answer your question about recording his tests? Could be because maybe he's a Fed. and not state or local polygrapher as he has allowed. Seems like I read where Fed polygraphers do not allow audio or vidio. 

I'm glad I dig gravel and blast holes in mountains for a living. If Nonombre would ever visit my mine, I would let him get experience in real hard, dirty and honest work.

Sorry for not answering the question (It wasn't on purpose).   As to whether I would allow an examinee to record the examination, truth is I have never run into this as a polygraph examiner.

I do remember years ago during one of my first interrogations as a detective, a suspect quite smugly pulled a tape recorder out of his pocket and placed it on the table.  My old crusty partner picked up the recorder, popped out the tape, and handed it back to the suspect, then conducted the interrogation.  I immediately realized that the suspect's actions was nothing more then a vain attempt to gain some "control" of the interview, which naturally any good cop would never allow.

If you have read my posts, you know that I record all my polygraph examinations and those tapes are available to the suspect's defense attorney, therefore I would not allow the suspect to produce his own recording device.  Once again, not because of the recording itself, since I record the inerview anyway, but mostly to deny the individual the "control" he is clearly seeking.

This response is probably not going to be popular, but it is my first reaction to the question.

Regards,

Nonombre   

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #26 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 3:42am
I appreciate your response.  While I completely understand the reason you don't allow a person to record his/her own copy of the session (for control, etc), it still appears that the individual was not treated fairly.  If he was their voluntarily, he has every right to record the session.  If you don't like that, you can ask him to leave.  If the person was being detained, he should have just refused (to avoid losing control).   

Nonombre,
While I realize this is not a question you would prefer to answer, I would appreciate an answer to the original question.   

Is there any law that prohibits a person from "secretly" recording their own pre-employment polygraph.  Do you "ask" your subjects to sign some form of waiver preventing this, etc.? 

Seeing that I'm not willing to commit a serious crime to take a polygraph  Grin...the cheapest alternative is to just apply for jobs that require them  8).

Again, thanks for the first answer.  In case I've never been clear, I have no problems with polygraphs that are used for criminal investigations (though I believe nobody would take them if the pre-employment versions were stopped).

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #27 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:01am
Tarlain

I think the lawyer is correct in part. However, if the polygrapher knows you are going to record the session, there will not be a poly just as Nonombre said. 
This will apply whether or not the polygrapher records. BTW, recordings can easily be redacted.

I stick by my suggestion to covertly record your session and learn from it. If you fail, you will know exactly what to do the next time and YOU will be in control. As Nonombre indicated, when they lose control they lose the battle. That is why they hate this website so much.

Just a caution. You cannot make the recording public. You can say "the session went like this", making no reference to the recording, but relating every minute detail.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #28 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 4:45am
I continue to disagree.   

Let me offer an example.  There is a trashy show called "Cheaters" that video/audio records people cheating on their significant other.  The person who is cheating never has any idea they are being recorded.  The entire show is based off the idea that the person is unaware they are being recorded.  I admit that they blur out the faces at times...but they always play the audio.  As long as the one of the individuals consent to doing the recording, they run with it...regardless of whether both parties are consenting.

I'm not sure if that makes sense.  Why do you believe that I am not allowed to make my own conversations public?  If memory serves me correct, didn't Linda Tripp tape Monica Lewinsky (without her knowledge)?  I definately remember  hearing the tapes.  I don't every remember hearing anything about that being illegal (since Linda Tripp was recording her own conversation).  Why would the press be allowed to play them if it were unlawful?

edit:  on further thought...the entire tv show "Cops" is taped.  I doubt they are getting permission as they barge in people's doors.  But since they have the permisson of one of the parties...it's fine as long as they don't wrongly damage somebody's reputation or good name.
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006 at 5:36am by Tarlain »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 5:56am
From time to time on the tv program "COPS" you will notice a blurred image.  The folks on "COPS" have to obtain a signed release from every suspect shown.

The amazing thing is, the majority sign the release.  "Hey look mom, I'm getting arrested for stealing a car and loading it with drugs."  The chance to be seen on tv appears to be hard to pass up.

I have always understood the laws of recording to be as follows:  audio: consent of one party; video: consent of one party; audio & video: consent of both parties excluding security cams.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Vegas Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X