Normal Topic Quick Question (Read 3174 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kyle489
New User

Quick Question
Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
  Do departments look as heavily on sterioid use as any other drug use. I mean, If I have done steriods in the past three years opposed to smoking mj, or snorting coke would a department be more likely to hire.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Re: Quick Question
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 10:00pm
kyle489 wrote on Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:55pm:
 Do departments look as heavily on sterioid use as any other drug use. I mean, If I have done steriods in the past three years opposed to smoking mj, or snorting coke would a department be more likely to hire.

It depends on the department’s policy.  Generally steroids are ranked somewhere above marijuana and below cocaine.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:18am
Dear Kyle489,

Up until 1993, steroids were in the gray zone for usage.  As of 1993 or around that time, it was agreed that they should be a controlled prescription substance needing licensed medical practitioners to approve its usage.

Many officers were using steriods before the line was made clearer.  As the years go by, steroid use is slowly approaching cocaine use as stated by Mr. Mystery.

The brutal thing about steroids is that it makes the officer stronger thus enabling him to possibly do his job better during physical confrontations.  Down side, it is like putting nitro into an engine, you get more horsepower at the cost of engine life.  The body is strained under steroid use and you are trading power for endurance.  Bone and organ damage has been traced to usage.  I think you know by now that it is a bad compromise.  Steroid use has been traced to more aggressive behavior which is the down side of an officer being able to diffuse a situation without using physical force.  I believe any admission of steroid use would raise a red flag in most departments in todays world.  The lack of qualified candidates could be a good thing for you.  You might need to apply for a smaller town that does not pay as well for that opportunity.  Honesty is important.  Try and talk to someone who already is an officer in the department that you are trying to apply for to learn the "mindset" about former steroid usage and how it would be perceived by management.

Good Luck, stay clean.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 12:22pm
Biggest issue is more than likely going to be how much you used and what form.  Obviously intra-muscular use is going to be frowned upon greater than if you used pills.

Many departments have varying degrees of cut offs in this area.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kyle489
New User

Stupid mistakes!
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 11:28pm
   I've been clean now for almost a year, and I have never done the intermuscular injections only the pill. Winstrol is not a very hard substance. Do I need to be clean for 3 to 5 years before I even bother applying because isn't that the question they ask is if you have used an illegal drug in the last 3 to 5 years? I was wanting to apply to the Dallas PD or somewhere around Dallas. I really hope that a stupid mistake like this that I have made will not ruin my chances of landing a job in law enforcement. any info on Dallas PD or local PD's (I.E Arlington, Garland, Irving etc.) would really be helpful. Thanks guys and possibly gals for the help I appreciate it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 4:06am
To be honest, most departments are usually looking for at least 5 years since last use of any type of controlled substance.   Expect to be grilled quite heavily on this issue.   

Is your future completely ruined?  No, not likely, but you will have to wait a while before they will actually look at hiring you.  Your usage is too recent and with all the steroid controversy in the media lately, misinformation on the effects of these drugs will likely DQ you if you apply now.

Either way,  I wish you luck.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Quick Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X