Normal Topic That **First** Impression (Read 5615 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

That **First** Impression
Mar 25th, 2006 at 2:52am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Today, about 1500 or so, I was passing through the admin area of our Agency and I noticed some applicants filling out the standard application for hire.  One of these guys was wearing jeans with holes in the knees (stylish I'm told), a somewhat soiled T-shirt and had hair that appeared unkempt.  I couldn't help but form an impression on this young man, and it wasn't positive.  Should he be called for a board interview, he has some hurdles to overcome at this point.

He may be a fine young man, and may be totally capable of doing a great job for us.  Undoubtedly, in my mind's eye, he will have more to prove to overcome that negative **first** impression.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: That **First** Impression
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 12:27pm
I can't help but agree with you on this issue.  Many many many many TOO DAMN MANY times I experienced individuals showing up for their oral boards in jeans and a polo shirt.  Some times even in SHORTS.  needless to say, the ones in shorts never got hired.  IF the ones in jeans interviewed well, then they usually passed, but were obviously docked points even if they did excellent.  The ones in suits had an astoundingly high hire rate.  Fact is, if you want the job you will look it and make a good impression.   

If those of us on the oral board have to wear our Class A uniforms for the interview, then the applicant darn well at least have a tie on as well.  It is often quite insulting to have them walk in as if they were interviewing for the swing shift at the 7-11.   

Dippity, I FEEL your pain.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:22pm
You guys are exactly right.  Also, the guy who looks like joe shit the rag picker will be the first one to bitch if he doesnt get hired .  A sign of the times, take no personal responsibility.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 2:35am
One guy I interviewed showed up unshaven, in a Metalica cut off tee shirt, dirty jeans, and loafers with no socks...

He did apoligize for being 30 minutes late.  Said his "head just really wasn't into being interviewed" that particular day...  

Regards,

Nonombre Undecided
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006 at 3:15am by nonombre »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 4:18am
I've always worn business attire (no jacket though) to my departmental interviews.  I have been nothing less than astonished at the casual dress I have witnessed.  All matching with what has been written in the previous posts.  One piece of clothing that still stands out to me was seen at an agility test.  A young man was wearing a sweatshirt that had the initials "HBU".  Directly below the intials the shirt read "Hairy Beaver University."  I truly felt embarrassed for him.  However, his lack of attention to dress possibly bumped me up one slot.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 4:24am
Just an FYI my opinion and the opinion of many other that I know personally on interview panels, there really is no excuse for not wearing a suit.You are going to be wearing a uniform for your whole career,wouldn't kill you to dress up for one day.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 6:47am
There is no excuse for not wearing conservative business attire to any interview for an LE position.

In my book, this means a single breasted suit (preferably charcoal pinstripe or navy blue), starched white shirt w/o button down collar, nice tie and black cap toe dress shoes with a SHINE. Brooks Brothers has great stuff, and their outlet stores have very reasonable prices.

It does without saying that a conservative haircut and a shave (the goatee will grow back and you can grow the cheesy ‘stache AFTER you become a cop) are also the order of the day.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 8:40am
Say it ain't so Gino! Don't attack the 'stache!  Hate the applicant, not the 'stache.

I am waiting for some of the posters to start doing out takes of the "Super Troopers" movie.

A little humor in a tense world.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 1:02am
I thought I would get lambasted for my rather traditional and old school approach LOL.  Good to know there are so many traditionalists out there.  Renews my faith in our society of "Old farts".

Be safe all

IP Logged

That **First** Impression

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X