Normal Topic SF86 / Poly question (Read 5114 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box chaosflower
New User

SF86 / Poly question
Mar 21st, 2006 at 5:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi all,

2 years ago I was going to be a summer intern for a branch of the White House and had to go to a security interview. I filled out a SF86 and mentioned the 3-4 times I had used marijuana. Since the last occurance had been within 2 years I was denied the clearance the very next day.

2 years later, I am about to graduate college, and  I am applying for jobs at both the CIA and the NSA. I feel that I got screwed last time for being honest about such minimal drug use. I haven't used any drugs at all since then. I will have to redo a SF86 soon and I am wondering if I should just leave out the minor drug part. Will this get me into trouble consider that last time I didn't leave it out? Will they compare records?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Re: SF86 / Poly question
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 5:18am
If you are within standards you are within standards.  You are probably currently within standard or very close.  No ambiguity about it.

The marijuana usage probably definitely won't permanently disqualify you.  The worst that will happen is that you have to wait two or more years before applying.  Hell the interview process alone could eat up that time.

However, lying on your application will be the kiss of death.  No one will touch you if you are discovered to have deliberately lied on your application.

Finally, let me get on my soapbox.  This site is generally for those who are innocent false positives (yes they exist regardless of the witty banter provided by our polygraphers).  I really don’t feel this site was ever intended to encourage dishonesty on applications.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ruckover
User

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 10:49pm
Quote:
If you are within standards you are within standards.  You are probably currently within standard or very close.  No ambiguity about it.

The marijuana usage probably definitely won't permanently disqualify you.  The worst that will happen is that you have to wait two or more years before applying.  Hell the interview process alone could eat up that time.

However, lying on your application will be the kiss of death.  No one will touch you if you are discovered to have deliberately lied on your application.

Finally, let me get on my soapbox.  This site is generally for those who are innocent false positives (yes they exist regardless of the witty banter provided by our polygraphers).  I really don’t feel this site was ever intended to encourage dishonesty on applications.

Mystery man is right.  Tell the truth.  It is pretty amazing what the agenecies are willing to forgive (not including the FBI).  What they will not forgive is dishonesty.  I owned up to steriod use in the past, within 2.5 years of my date of hire, and it was overlooked.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2006 at 1:35am
You will also be asked on your polygraph if you have had any drug involvement in the past five, and if you deliberately falsified your security forms.  It is also a felony to falsify your SF86 (see the bottom of page 9).

IP Logged

SF86 / Poly question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X