Normal Topic Just took a "polygraph" (Read 13897 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mos13fox
New User

Just took a "polygraph"
Mar 17th, 2006 at 5:01am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I just had a polygraph but I'm not sure whether it was a real one or not.

It only took like 30 minutes for the whole procedure.

I had a pretest interview that went really fast, he asked me a series of about 30 questions and then picked 5 from the list.

He hooked me to the machine, a laptop with some blood pressure equipment and finger tip things and two deals around my chest.

He asked me 5 questions two were about my name and age.

Is this really how quick this stuff is?

Then he just started talking to me  and told me he would tell the employer "everything good and bad about you".

He mentioned that he didn't see any sign that I was trying to hide anything.

Was this just a scam to get me to admit to something I may have done?
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2006 at 11:44am by mos13fox »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Re: Just took a "polygraph"
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:00am
Quote:
It only took like 30 minutes for the whole procedure.

This is an inordinately short period of time, even among polygraph standards.

Quote:
Was this just a scam to get me to admit to something I may have done?

In a word, yes. Just as are all polygraphs, regardless of the length of the session.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box magnetar
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:30am
That was an incredibly quick exam.  I have been polygraphed twice for two different LE agencies and each lasted over 3 hours.  I wonder why yours was so short… ???

Magnetar - is a neutron star with an extremely strong magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma-rays. Wikipedia.org (2006)

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:37pm
So I guess the examiner just thought I was honest based on my pre test interview?

Seems like whether I had shown signs of diception or not it would have taken more questions to figure that out.

I'm not familiar with the science or procedure involved, can you tell if someone is truthful in  5 questions?

I was really nervous during the first two questions, which were impossible for me to lie about, my age and name. Then the questions that he asked seemed to be phrased to make me more comfortable with them.

"Have you used illegal drugs in the past year?"

I was extremely comfortable with this question because I had asserted to the board that I had never taken drugs which was true.

I was worried about this issue on the test because the board members seemed to be astonished that someone would say they had never even tried a hit of marijuana.

But i was confident that the polygraph would back me up.

The other two questions were about stealing and drinking on the job.

I was very comfortable with them as well.

Seems like the first two questions about my name and age were more difficult for me because i had never been polygraphed before. 

After those two i was deffinetly more relaxe for the next three then suddenly he just said to remain still for a few seconds and then told me we were finished with this section of questioning.

I thought we were just taking a break but he took the equipment off and said the test was over.

Guess I just got off easy compared to the stories of alot of folks in here.

I got to take a physical next week for the PD. Then start training in a couple of weeks.

My polygrapher was really good as far as how my test went I just wonder if this is normal or was I even really polygraphed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box magnetar
New User

Reply #4 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:00am
If you had failed your polygraph you would have known about it.  When you fail the person administering the exam would have initiated a post-polygraph interrogation.  If that occurred, you would have certainly been “dead in the water.”  Can a person be truthful in 5 questions after using a polygraph?  As you know the notion that deceptions can be detected by a machine that has been proven to be false.  Look at the case involving former CIA agent and Soviet spy Aldrich Ames.  Two polygraph exams were not able to prevent him from doing serious damage to U.S. national security.  The polygraph is the one of the cheapest methods for an LE agency to DQ an applicant.  The polygraph works because it intimidates and hoodwinks you into making damaging statements about yourself, either before or after the exam has been administered.  In short, it uses your ignorance against yourself.  When you know the truth behind the polygraph and the interrogation techniques then the odds of you passing are much better.  You “passed” because you produced a truthful test result.  Does that mean that the examiner trusted you, remember the polygraphers adage, “In God we trust-all others we polygraph.” (The Lie Behind the Lie Detector by Maschke and Scalabrini, page 110).  Thumbs up!! Grin

Magnetar - is a neutron star with an extremely strong magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma-rays. Wikipedia.org (2006)

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:41am
Well i knew i had passed because he told me as much. I just thought it was way to fast.

But like you said I didn't have anything to admit to so maybe he thought there was no use in putting me through a bunch of stress.

I told the board and the polygraher that i had nothing to admit too. That was my story the whole time. As far as i was concerned it was the full truth.

They tried  at the board to get me to admit to stealing pens and paperclips from my job.

I just said if I had ever walked off with something like that it was a  mistake and not theft.

They tried the same thing when i said I had NEVER taken even a hit off a marijuana joint. As far as I am concerned it is possible as they insisted that I am the only person who never has.

The examiner in the interview before the test asked me about 30 questions ranging from sexual assault to  cheating on taxes to exposing myself in public. He said if I had a problem with any question to tell him and we would see what could be done to help fix the question.

The only question he asked that I had an issue with was if I had ever killed anyone. I explained to him that I had been at war for three years prior to the hiring proccess, as a forward observer in the army.  He rephrased the question to while I was a civilian had I ever killed anyone.

That question didn't come up in the 5 he asked during the actual test.

He asked me 5 questions one time and then walked me to my car. My polygraph began at 6pm and by 635 I was litterally driving home happy with the way the test went.

I still just wonder if I was even actualy tested, I never saw the computer screen he was watching and so far as I know it may ot even have been turned on.

Thanks for the response.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 9:57am
One other thing. When we were done I asked him if we were finished and he said yes. I wanted to ask him if I had passed but thought the question sounded guilty. 

After an uncomfortable silence for a few seconds he looked at the machine and said" I didn't see any signs that you were trying to hide anything."

Then he just talked to mabout being in the military for a few moments and asked if I was ready to leave.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:42am
mos13F,

What does a cannon cocker need with a polygraph test ? Something here to me just doesn't add up. Please do explain ?

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 4:02am
First of all I am not a cannon cocker. 13f is forward observer. The test is part of the hiring process for another job. I am no longer in the military.
"cannon cockers" don't need a security clearence.
My security clearence in the military has nothing to do with this polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 6:53am
mos13fox wrote on Mar 21st, 2006 at 4:02am:
First of all I am not a cannon cocker. 13f is forward observer. The test is part of the hiring process for another job. I am no longer in the military.
"cannon cockers" don't need a security clearence.
My security clearence in the military has nothing to do with this polygraph.

mos13f,

Explanation accepted .... good luck  !! 

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 8:32am
Thanks, good luck to you as well.

IP Logged

Just took a "polygraph"

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X