Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Important:  My Polygraph Test was Inconclusive (Read 31933 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Re: Important:  My Polygraph Test was Inconclusive
Reply #30 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 4:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

1. Polygraphed a subject who denied shaking an infant and killing him.  He failed my poly and gave me a confession. Hold up man shot and killed two customers, failed my exam and gave a confession and two other homicides are solved.

2. I've taken 2 exams.

3. Would test my kids to see if they smoke.  I'll let you have fun with this one and let you decide if my nose is growing. 

4. What difference does that make.

5. I still do polys. I vist this site to be amused by people  like you and to talk to mature  people who have a genuine interest in poly.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antrella
User

Re: Important:  My Polygraph Test was Inconcl
Reply #31 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 7:37pm
retcopper wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 4:35pm:

1. Polygraphed a subject who denied shaking an infant and killing him.  He failed my poly and gave me a confession. Hold up man shot and killed two customers, failed my exam and gave a confession and two other homicides are solved.

Listen - few reasonable people would question the effectiveness of the polygraph as an interrogative tool. I agree it can be tremendously useful when used as part (not all) of an investigation - particularly on ignorant thugs who couldn't tell the difference between an fMRI and a colander (see below). 

No question: the polygraph community has successfully built up this unflappable mythos that polygraphs somehow transcend the human mind to get to the truth. We all know that's not the case. The polygraph works best when the party being polygraphed believes it works best. If the examiners who browse this site disagree with that, you're either fools or facetious. 

That said, I agree the polygraph has a place in society. I'm realistic enough to realize that the polygraph community, top to bottom, is a multimillion dollar one - from the equipment, to the schools, to the lucrative government work. This profession, like any other, puts food in mouths, and is a source of pride for the many folks who practice it. 

But it's important to make sure that the poly's role in society is a limited one - one where 1) its use is "incident-specific" - for example, crimes where the GKT (which is less flawed than the CQT) can be used. And where 2) the benefit of passing is equal in weight to the potential harm of failing. In the criminal context, this is generally the case: if you pass, you're not exactly exonerated - the investigation continues if you're a suspect. If you fail, the information is inadmissible. 

Use of the polygraph in a pre-employment screening situation is a gross misjudgment on the part of the government, however. Passing means the background check continues - you gain little of value other than continuing in the security screening. Failing, however, in many cases means a lifetime ban from reapplying with the agency (often incongruous with the agency's own screening policies), and sometimes a compete ban from sensitive gov't work. This is also the case for current gov't employees. You pass, you keep your job. Fail, and your career is effectively over.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #32 - Mar 24th, 2006 at 9:44pm
Antrella:

I agree preemployments are less accurate than specific tests and a thorough background check should always attempt to resolve any contested issues. I disageree with the firing of emplyees who fail periodic polys.  These should aslo be backed up by some other evidence.  But, this is only my opinion. I think the feds probably use  more periodic testing than the city, county or state agencies. I would think that they have some other evidence in addition to the poly before they dismiss someone.

Could not connect to your link at bottom of your page.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #33 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 9:56pm
retcopper wrote on Mar 23rd, 2006 at 8:51pm:
Like you add substance.  You never gave a poly test in your life and now you are an expert.  BTW  I do very well recognizing counter measures.  

Grow up. I never said I was an expert nor have I ever implied such. However, I know enough about polygraphs to know they don't work. Of course, I've never given a polygraph. Why would I? I have a job that I can be proud of. 

You do very well recognizing cm's? Yeah, that's what they all say. 

BTW, I won't respond to any more of your posts as they are nothing but a total waste of my time.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Reply #34 - Mar 25th, 2006 at 10:46pm
retcopper wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 9:44pm:
Antrella:

I agree preemployments are less accurate than specific tests and a thorough background check should always attempt to resolve any contested issues. .

Many people never get this opportunity.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #35 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 7:36pm
nonombre wrote on Mar 24th, 2006 at 3:46am:
#3,  Absolutely.  You know when you have two small kids and they get into a fight, each blaming the other?  Well, I just threaten them both with having to take daddy's polygraph test and the actual guilty party always fesses up.  Every parent should be issued a polygraph instrument.

Nonombre,

I believe the intent of the question was to determine if you would allow your child to undergo a polygraph examination if there were negative consequences should he or she fail.

Suppose, for example, you had a college-age child who attended school in a different state from where you live.  For whatever reason, he or she became a suspect for a serious crime.  The local police agency, with which you are completely unfamiliar, wants to polygraph your child during the course of their investigation.

Your child has told you they have absolutely nothing to do with this crime, and you fully believe them.  Do you think you would unhesitatingly tell them to take the polygraph, knowing that as long as they tell the truth they will be eliminated as a suspect?

I don’t see how an ethical polygraph examiner who truly believes in the accuracy of the polygraph process could give any advice other than, “Take the polygraph and tell the truth.  If you do that you will be instantly exonerated and you can go on with your life.”

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #36 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 4:18am
Sergeant,

Of course you are right.  My original answer was definately "tongue in cheek." Wink

I would in fact advise my teenage child to undergo the polygraph examination.  But in all fairness, I would advise him/her to take the advice of several of the folks who have posted on this site.

First of all, I would have my attorney monitor the examination.  I have conducted MANY polygraph examinations with a defense attorney watching me from behind a two-way mirror.  This has NEVER bothered me, for I am an ETHICAL polygraph examiner.

Since I record all my polygraph examinations, I would expect my child's examination to be recorded.

Next, if I could not QC the polygraph exam myself (I would after all be the father of the suspect) I would ask for an independent QC of the charts.  Once again, I have provided my charts to defense experts on many occasions.  This has also never bothered me.  The only thing I ask is that the examiner reviewing my work by properly licensed in the state and have all current training and certifications.  If like so many other forensic sciences the situation deteriorates into a "battle of the experts," in court or other hearing, I can accept that.

Lastly, I would tell my child that if he fails, I would expect him to come clean with the examiner, the attorney, and me.  After all, in the end, we all must take responsibility for our actions.

You might not believe what I said in my last paragraph, and that is of course your right, but I meant everything I just said.

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #37 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 8:30am
NoNombre,

Your post is most impressive, But the post presents an opportunity for some research. If you QC'd the charts on your kid, and you saw that they showed no deception, but the polygrapher who gave the test started into interrogation saying that the kid was deceptive. What is your recourse ? Can you intervene ?
Interesting supposition to answer ? Your reply should be most interesting ? 

Regards  ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #38 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 8:00am
retcopper,

I don't think anyone on even this board would say that the polygraph cannot aid in getting people to confess to things. WHat we are mostly saying is that while your anecdotal evidence is compelling for explaining why you find the polygraph a useful tool, the truth is you have no idea how many people over the years perhaps were judged falsely or got away with lying. 

I suppose we could find a case for every one of your stories that would show where an innocent person was ravaged by police for failing a polygraph. You could find many links to such events on these forums. Many of us are angered by the notion that polygraphists are OK with this collateral damage.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #39 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 3:35pm
Bill:

I guess we will have to bite the bullet until something else better comes along. (I know that is going to piss a lot of people off.) Like any other profession we continually  have to improve training and upgrade standards.  I respectfully disagree with you about the numbers of people who post here who say they have been wronged. While neither one of us can prove our point  I would bet that many who complain here are not telling the "whole story" concerning their polygraph experiences. I am not defending any bad or renegade polygraphists.  I know they exist. But, by the same token your side has to use commn sense when defending every anti poly story that appears here.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #40 - Mar 31st, 2006 at 6:11pm
EosJupiter wrote on Mar 30th, 2006 at 8:30am:
NoNombre,

Your post is most impressive, But the post presents an opportunity for some research. If you QC'd the charts on your kid, and you saw that they showed no deception, but the polygrapher who gave the test started into interrogation saying that the kid was deceptive. What is your recourse ? Can you intervene ?
Interesting supposition to answer ? Your reply should be most interesting ? 

Regards  ...

Eos,

Good question but the situation would probably not unfold that way. What would probably happen if the examiner found my kid deceptive, he would interrogate before any opposing interest reviewed the charts.  The defense polygraph expert is generally not present during the original exam.

If my kid was not guilty and if the examiner had actually made a mistake, that would come out later.

Would I be worried that one of my kids would be browbeat into a "false confession?"..

Hmmm...

Naw, the little monsters don't even confess to the things they ARE guilty of... Roll Eyes

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #41 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 2:03am
NoNombre,

I found much humor in your post. I snorted coffee out my nose and dam near fell out of my chair laughing on your last comment. thanks  !!!  Cheesy

Regards

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Important:  My Polygraph Test was Inconclusive

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X