Normal Topic LE Oral board question... (Read 5891 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gspquest
New User

LE Oral board question...
Mar 16th, 2006 at 3:26am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
hi guys

new to posting however ive been following for a few months now. My oral is around the corner and i was just wondering about one question that they ask and how those who have previously been through the process responded.

"What is your biggest weakness?"

it seems that any answer i try to come up with is either fake or obvious that i am attempting to say what they want to hear. just wanted some thoughts on it.

also if anyone has any other points or any overview from previous experience which they would like to share in regards to the whole oral process id appreciate it.

Regards

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antrella
User

Re: LE Oral board question...
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 4:35am
The best advice I or anyone can give you is that the answer to this question will be a "real" weakness, however, one that is 

1) irrelevant to the job (if it's heavily analytic, you can say you're not as creative as you'd like)

or

2) something you've identified AND CORRECTED ("I used to have difficulty organizing my time - but once I started using spreadsheets to plan my days/weeks, things began to fall into place. Occasionally, when I feel overwhelmed, I micromanage my days in advance to make sure I get everything that I need to get done, done.")

Something along those lines - the "I work too hard" or "I'm a perfectionist" is the oldest cop-out in the book. 

I've only partaken in one "oral panel," and it was an odd one. Don't get intimidated, remember to smile, and be succinct in your responses. If you ramble, take a breath and refocus. Don't lose sight of the question or your answer. The best preparation is having a friend (or two or three) give you the once over in advance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box magnetar
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:01am
‘What is your biggest weakness?’   

I had a previous experience with a similar type of question for a LE agency.  This is a probing question and it is meant to find more about you and the type of person you are.  Do not feel as though you are down rating yourself when you respond to the question.  Everybody has weaknesses and shortcomings that need to be improved upon. The interview board realizes that it takes courage to admit and face any faults that you have.  The point is that are you willing and open-minded enough to improve them.  Remember, the worst thing you can do is depict yourself as the flawless LE candidate, furthermore, do not air out delicate personal issues.  Think about what you are going to say and all will be fine. Finally, Antrella has some great pointers and suggestions to help you though this question. Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:29am by magnetar »  

Magnetar - is a neutron star with an extremely strong magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma-rays. Wikipedia.org (2006)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 1:20am
magnetar wrote on Mar 16th, 2006 at 7:01am:
‘What is your biggest weakness?’  

...This is a probing question and it is meant to find more about you and the type of person you are... do not air out delicate personal issues...Finally, Antrella has some great pointers and suggestions to help you though this question. Grin

Hey, I have a question:

I understand structured questions on an oral interview are designed to solicit and evaluate specific responses.  So let's say the interviewee thwarts the process by coming on a website such as this one and being given advise on how to manipulate his responses...

Isn't that a "countermeasure?"

Gee maybe we should eliminate oral boards???

Regards,

Nonombre Roll Eyes 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box magnetar
New User

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 8:12am
I do not think our advice is a countermeasure to the oral interview.  Besides nearly everyone has been job coached at one time or another.  Whether the job interview is for a LE position, municipal bus driver, or a job at Mc Donald’s, we must sell ourselves to our prospective employer.  While we do not grossly exaggerate our qualifications we all have embellished a little during a job interview.  On the day gspquest goes for the oral interview we will not be there to help out.  Gspquest asked for help and we gave him a few suggestions.  Bedsides gspquest must pass a myriad of exams like the fonygraph, a background investigation, drug tests, physical abilities test, psychological tests and medical exams.  I believe that the usefulness of the oral board interview has not been circumvented. 8) Grin

Magnetar - is a neutron star with an extremely strong magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma-rays. Wikipedia.org (2006)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2006 at 1:57pm
nonombre wrote on Mar 17th, 2006 at 1:20am:

Hey, I have a question:

I understand structured questions on an oral interview are designed to solicit and evaluate specific responses.  So let's say the interviewee thwarts the process by coming on a website such as this one and being given advise on how to manipulate his responses...

Isn't that a "countermeasure?"

Gee maybe we should eliminate oral boards???

Regards,

Nonombre

Imagine if the first question asked of all oral board interviewees was, “Have you ever researched the oral board process or studied any ways to improve your score?”

If the oral board was conducted like the polygraph, anyone who answered in the affirmative would have to then be warned to ignore anything they’ve studied or they would automatically fail the oral board.

Any interviewee who wanted to score well so they could be hired and thereby took the time and effort to research how to stay calm during the oral board and how to not let the pressure get to them would be instructed that if they were detected using any of that knowledge they would fail the board due to “purposeful non-cooperation.” 

I believe most people would perceive that scenario as being hideously unfair to the interviewee.  Anyone who answers all oral board questions with honesty and integrity should not be penalized simply because they also display the very admirable trait of not allowing themselves to become unduly stressed during a stressful situation.

But that is exactly what happens to polygraph examinees all the time.  The polygraph is purportedly used to detect deception.  Anyone who submits to a polygraph exam and is not deceptive in any way should pass.  But that doesn't happen all the time, and not even the examiners on this board can claim it does.  An interviewee exhibiting the ability to keep themselves calm in a stressful situation should not be seen as a problem, since that is in fact a highly desirable trait for a law enforcement officer to possess.

I think the comparison between oral boards and polygraph exams is actually a fairly illustrative one.  Both rely on subjective reactions in order to score the interviewee/examinee.  Both tend to be seen as a stressful situation by those who have to submit to them.  Yet only the polygraph carries with it such untenable restrictions as, “You cannot breathe in a manner other than how I tell you,” and “You cannot think about something that might distract you from my question.”

I think that if anyone tried to place similar restrictions on oral boards they would immediately be seen as arbitrary, unfair, and virtually unenforceable.  Yet they are commonplace on polygraph exams.  If they were ever to become commonplace on oral boards I’m sure it wouldn’t be long until a web site with the name “AntiOralBoard.com” popped up.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 3:51am
"Antioralboard.com"

Now that's funny.

It is expected during an oral board that the person has looked into this issue and has some advanced knowledge of the process.  I do not mind hearing generic answers as long as they can answer my follow up question with something that really relates to their life.  If I don't believe their answer then it is pretty easy to sway them away from it and have them answer a completely different answer for the same question.  Most people are not prepared to give more than one answer to the same question.  Hence, most of the time you will get the truth with the proper follow up.   

Having been through a few oral boards and been a board member on close to 100 of them, I can honestly say that the ones who will always fail are the ones who answer "I don't know" or "I can't really think of an answer for that" etc. etc. Obviously they were not prepared.   

Just don't lie on the answers.  Give us some credit, most oral baord members have been in LE for quite some time and can usually tell if you are lying or avoiding something.  If this is the case we will usually make a note of this and forward it to the background investigator to look into further.  (But, we leave the real lie detection to the polygraph examiner Wink)

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antrella
User

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 10:03am
dimas wrote on Mar 18th, 2006 at 3:51am:
"Antioralboard.com"

Now that's funny.

It is expected during an oral board that the person has looked into this issue and has some advanced knowledge of the process.  I do not mind hearing generic answers as long as they can answer my follow up question with something that really relates to their life.  If I don't believe their answer then it is pretty easy to sway them away from it and have them answer a completely different answer for the same question.  Most people are not prepared to give more than one answer to the same question.  Hence, most of the time you will get the truth with the proper follow up.   

Having been through a few oral boards and been a board member on close to 100 of them, I can honestly say that the ones who will always fail are the ones who answer "I don't know" or "I can't really think of an answer for that" etc. etc. Obviously they were not prepared.   

Just don't lie on the answers.  Give us some credit, most oral baord members have been in LE for quite some time and can usually tell if you are lying or avoiding something.  If this is the case we will usually make a note of this and forward it to the background investigator to look into further.  (But, we leave the real lie detection to the polygraph examiner Wink)   

Yeah, c'mon folks - I'm not sure if Nonombre's reply was meant in jest or to goad others into an argument about preparing for what is essentially a panel interview, but sheesh...

I've always had an issue w/ board interviews, whether administered by laypersons or law enforcement types. Bullshit artists always ALWAYS prevail. Such an interview is hardly an interrogation - if you're a good actor, have some compact, pre-prepared stories (real, exaggerated, or downright FABRICATED), you can hit any question anyway you like. Hell, if you're good at improv and can think on your feet, you can manufacture each response on the fly. 

Now most people can't do that - most need to prepare ad infinitum in advance - get their stories right, have lots of em in mind, and so on. However, I happen to know a certain individual who can - and has - succeeded by pretty much BSing his way through. He's well into the background check with a certain Full Blooded Institute of law enforcement. He simply has a knack for the oral interview thing (he previously turned down an offerfrom State). 

Interestingly, he also took and passed the poly, DESPITE admitting to me he straight up LIED on the drug question. He's actually pretty honest - but he saw no way he could tell the truth on the poly and not get burned. For the record, he hadn't heard of this site and had no idea about polygraphy (beyond what's out there) going into the examination. When i explained CMs to him, he dismissed them as too complicated - he simply relaxed and spoke confidently - and passed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2006 at 7:02pm
dimas wrote on Mar 18th, 2006 at 3:51am:

...Just don't lie on the answers.  Give us some credit, most oral baord members have been in LE for quite some time and can usually tell if you are lying or avoiding something.  If this is the case we will usually make a note of this and forward it to the background investigator to look into further.  (But, we leave the real lie detection to the polygraph examiner Wink)  

Thank you sir.  I appreciate your support and recommendation... Wink

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2006 at 6:07pm
Ahhh yes. We use that question.  It is designed to see how well the applicant thinks on their feet and also to see if any serious character flaws are spontaneously blurted out.

Not long back, we had a candidate respond to that question by saying, "Alcoholism".  He then followed up by saying that he had been in recovery for eight years.

He was hired.

IP Logged

LE Oral board question...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X