Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rejection letter (Read 63331 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PentaFed
Ex Member

Re: Rejection letter
Reply #45 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
antrella wrote on Mar 27th, 2006 at 7:57pm:

Pity this response isn't longer, as I was looking forward to another 100-line mega-paragraph rife with such gems as "You need a JD and a law license to teach law" and "stick to whatever it is you are trained to do." They say brevity is the soul of wit - you are case in point for the inverse.

My points in the first instance were that some of the folks here were overly fixated on the substance of the issue, which you correctly point out isn't the most important factor in Onesimus's story. I agree (and said) what it comes down to is a matter of apparent honesty/candor. 

My aside on the law - which is wholly valid - was precisely that, an aside to address your laughable remark that Onesimus "did, essentially, plead the fifth because you were not CANDID and UPFRONT with the information requested." That is not the Fifth Amendment. I won't launch into a personal attack here, but let's just say this struck me as patently absurd. 

Note that I did say, and still believe that the case is "much more complicated than we - possibly he - knows." Security clearances - which I ***assure you*** I know a great deal about - are complicated matters. The "whole person" idea is about considering everything and reaching a fair disposition. That's why certain bars can be overridden in time (some people are told to apply in 5 years, 10, etc).

"Pure hyperbole to mask your ignorance around the issue." Not even sure that makes sense, but I see what you're driving at. Again, it isn't the issue - but you and your ilk keep coming back to it and making it the issue, using different covers. Poor judgment, lack of candor, etc. 

As for "positions of trust" and popping someone who calls young girls at my place of worship sluts or anything to that effect, please don't be daft. The most important suitability criteria for "positions of trust" is - you guessed it, trustworthiness. Can this person be turned? Does he have a character flaw that can be exploited (drugs, sexual deviancy, etc). Not, "does he have a temper." 

I'm purposefully vague about who I am and what I do, and I intend to keep it that way. But I will say this: many of the best folks I know (who are also ***not*** strangers to "positions of trust") would have reacted the same way. It's almost a virtue in some way - after all, they're not diplomats - but executors of the law and protectors of the state.

I'm sorry my friend. Anyone who doesn't demostrate enough self-discipline to keep his hands to himself, despite what is SAID to him, can't be trusted. Similarly, those who can't be candid, can't be trusted. Since you appear fixated on my reference to the fifth amendment, here's the relationship: When a witness or defendant appears before a Grand Jury, or ins some cases a Congressional Committee, he sometimes invokes his right not to testify to certain questions posed because they may tend to incriminate him. The subject in question decided he wasn't going to answer those questions. Whether his answering the question or not would have tended to incriminate him, I don't know. But I do know he's made reference to his not answering those questions upon advice of counsel. I'm not sure what is the purpose of not being candid and simply answering the questions, but surely even a bombastic boob such as yourself can see the analaogy. Be vague all you want. It just proves you are either a) lacking in knowledge or b) totally F'ing paranoid. Either way, you do have difficulty sticking to the facts instead choosing to respond with great diatribes filled with melodrama.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box antrella
User

Reply #46 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:28pm
Quote:
I'm sorry my friend. Anyone who doesn't demostrate enough self-discipline to keep his hands to himself, despite what is SAID to him, can't be trusted. Similarly, those who can't be candid, can't be trusted. Since you appear fixated on my reference to the fifth amendment, here's the relationship: When a witness or defendant appears before a Grand Jury, or ins some cases a Congressional Committee, he sometimes invokes his right not to testify to certain questions posed because they may tend to incriminate him. The subject in question decided he wasn't going to answer those questions. Whether his answering the question or not would have tended to incriminate him, I don't know. But I do know he's made reference to his not answering those questions upon advice of counsel. I'm not sure what is the purpose of not being candid and simply answering the questions, but surely even a bombastic boob such as yourself can see the analaogy. Be vague all you want. It just proves you are either a) lacking in knowledge or b) totally F'ing paranoid. Either way, you do have difficulty sticking to the facts instead choosing to respond with great diatribes filled with melodrama.

"A bombastic boob such as yourself can see the analaogy."

Boy, you sure can turn a phrase - have you considered a career in literature? 

Though this isn't about me or you (it's about Onesimus and his current predicament- I suggest we get back on topic), I will humor you this one last time. 

I'm not at all fixated on the 5th Am. issue. I brought it up once, you continued mentioning it in all subsequent posts addressed to me. That said, I understand your layman's rationale vis-a-vis the Fifth Amendment - it's just wrong. You can compare what he did to invoking the Fifth, but to describe not disclosing everything in detail as "essentially" invoking the 5th is absurd. You finally coming around and calling it an "analaogy [sic]" shows there's hope yet for you, grasshopper.

I'm not trying to teach constitutional law here - just explain that many people erroneously say "HE PLEADED THE FIFTH" or whatever in completely incorrect contexts. Lots of people also think anyone arrested needs to have his/her rights read to them - this is also untrue.

As for punching a polygrapher, perhaps I was a bit rash. I can be hot-tempered at times, but fortunately for all parties involved, the polygraphers I've interacted with have been relatively upstanding folks. 

As for melodrama, I apologize if my writing style is too much for you. I will hereafter infuse it with ad hominem attacks, grammatical and spelling errors, and strip it of any unique style. Excessively long paragraphs for everyone!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #47 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:42pm
antrella wrote on Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:28pm:

"A bombastic boob such as yourself can see the analaogy."

Boy, you sure can turn a phrase - have you considered a career in literature? 

Though this isn't about me or you (it's about Onesimus and his current predicament- I suggest we get back on topic), I will humor you this one last time. 

I'm not at all fixated on the 5th Am. issue. I brought it up once, you continued mentioning it in all subsequent posts addressed to me. That said, I understand your layman's rationale vis-a-vis the Fifth Amendment - it's just wrong. You can compare what he did to invoking the Fifth, but to describe not disclosing everything in detail as "essentially" invoking the 5th is absurd. You finally coming around and calling it an "analaogy [sic]" shows there's hope yet for you, grasshopper.

I'm not trying to teach constitutional law here - just explain that many people erroneously say "HE PLEADED THE FIFTH" or whatever in completely incorrect contexts. Lots of people also think anyone arrested needs to have his/her rights read to them - this is also untrue.

As for punching a polygrapher, perhaps I was a bit rash. I can be hot-tempered at times, but fortunately for all parties involved, the polygraphers I've interacted with have been relatively upstanding folks. 

As for melodrama, I apologize if my writing style is too much for you. I will hereafter infuse it with ad hominem attacks, grammatical and spelling errors, and strip it of any unique style. Excessively long paragraphs for everyone!

I think you should put your high-speed reading skills to work and read my very first response to the 'drive-by' post you authored earlier. I clearly called it an analogy back then, too. Reading for comprehension seems to be your biggest problem here.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wallerstein
Senior User

Reply #48 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 9:50pm
Pentafed,

How does refusing to answer the questions that Onesismus refused to answer qualify as lack of candor or serve as a mark for him not being trustworthy?  On the contrary, his refusal is a mark of character to not engage the polygrapher in his grotesque machinations designed to elicit some admissions of a horrendous crime so he can put another star in his confession box.  

There must be some limits vis a vis attempts to extract information from applicants WHO OTHERWISE are morally sound human beings.  Asking a man to forward guesses on the things that Onesismus was asked is patently absurd--but also sick.  If he were being asked, did you ever snort cocaine or did you ever steal something, etc and he refused to answer then his candor and trustworthiness might be called into question.  

So please answer my question without rambling off into digressions about the essences of candor and trustworthiness and the fifth amendment.  It's simple really:

"How does refusing to answer the questions that Onesismus refused to answer qualify as lack of candor or serve as a mark for him not being trustworthy?" 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #49 - Mar 27th, 2006 at 10:04pm
Wallerstein wrote on Mar 27th, 2006 at 9:50pm:
Pentafed,

How does refusing to answer the questions that Onesismus refused to answer qualify as lack of candor or serve as a mark for him not being trustworthy?  On the contrary, his refusal is a mark of character to not engage the polygrapher in his grotesque machinations designed to elicit some admissions of a horrendous crime so he can put another star in his confession box.   

There must be some limits vis a vis attempts to extract information from applicants WHO OTHERWISE are morally sound human beings.  Asking a man to forward guesses on the things that Onesismus was asked is patently absurd--but also sick.  If he were being asked, did you ever snort cocaine or did you ever steal something, etc and he refused to answer then his candor and trustworthiness might be called into question.   

So please answer my question without rambling off into digressions about the essences of candor and trustworthiness and the fifth amendment.  It's simple really:

"How does refusing to answer the questions that Onesismus refused to answer qualify as lack of candor or serve as a mark for him not being trustworthy?" 

I've already spoken to the issue. Read above.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wallerstein
Senior User

Reply #50 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 12:47am
Quote:

Well, I've read "the above."  Basically what I can find is that you say that Onesismus "refused to answer details about his personal life."

How does Onesismus' refusal to posit guesses concerning girls that he works with constitute "refusing to answer details about his personal life?" 

Answer please.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #51 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 12:52am
Quote:

PentaFed,

I have waited a while to come on this thread as I wanted to see where you were taking this. Now I agree that trying to analyze and tie together the 5th amendment to taking a polygraph is quite the stretch. As we both know that to mirandize someone allows them to just be quiet and not say a word unless with a lawyer present. 

But as far as a postion of trust, and candor, your going to tell me that this polygraphers proven violations of the rules of conduct with Onesimus should be overlooked. The thread and its progress shows clearly that the polygrapher broke the rules of conduct and conducted questioning way beyond what was neccessary. Unless it is your contention that all is fair when doing employment interrogations. But let us not forget that in your mind and other polygraphers minds at the federal level its your job to filterout undesireables because you have decided to be judge, jury and executioner. And none of you seem compelled to follow the mandates of your own association (APA). Its the right of the examinee to end any polygraph session at their discretion, you just have to live with the consequences, of not getting the job. That also means that highly provocative questions can be ignored too.  And besides physically assaulting a polygrapher would be a rather dumb move. But using countermeasures and beating you at your own game is the better one. To the victor of mind games goes the spoils !!   

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #52 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 1:32am
EosJupiter wrote on Mar 28th, 2006 at 12:52am:

PentaFed,

I have waited a while to come on this thread as I wanted to see where you were taking this. Now I agree that trying to analyze and tie together the 5th amendment to taking a polygraph is quite the stretch. As we both know that to mirandize someone allows them to just be quiet and not say a word unless with a lawyer present. 

But as far as a postion of trust, and candor, your going to tell me that this polygraphers proven violations of the rules of conduct with Onesimus should be overlooked. The thread and its progress shows clearly that the polygrapher broke the rules of conduct and conducted questioning way beyond what was neccessary. Unless it is your contention that all is fair when doing employment interrogations. But let us not forget that in your mind and other polygraphers minds at the federal level its your job to filterout undesireables because you have decided to be judge, jury and executioner. And none of you seem compelled to follow the mandates of your own association (APA). Its the right of the examinee to end any polygraph session at their discretion, you just have to live with the consequences, of not getting the job. That also means that highly provocative questions can be ignored too.  And besides physically assaulting a polygrapher would be a rather dumb move. But using countermeasures and beating you at your own game is the better one. To the victor of mind games goes the spoils !!   

Regards ....

You've just written a speech that is not reflective of what I've written. The only issue I've commented on here is the applicant's bad decision to take his ball and go home when he didn't feel like answering some questions. There are proper and improper ways of doing things. He didd't do it the proper way, in my opinion. You're right, he has to live with the consequences of his choice. And that has been my position all along. Nowhere have I said or implied anything differently. Nowhere have I implied he didn't have a right to stop the process. But don't bellyache about not getting the clearance if you chose to withdraw from the process. What should happen here is 1) the polygrapher who asked the inappropriate questions should be disciplined, up to and including termination, depending on how egregious his conduct was (I only know what the applicant claims because the letter didn't detail the conduct) and 2) the applicant doesn't get his clearance because he withdrew from the process in a less than professional way during the last clearance investigation. As a sidenote, please don't purport to know what is in my mind bwecause I'm not a "polygrapher at the Federal level." I'm not a polygrapher nor do I support polygraphy as a means to an end.  However, at this stage of the game certain agencies have decided to use them as a supplement to other background data gathering processess. As such, applicants requesting these types of jobs and clearances have a process to go through. If you don't go through the process, you don't get the job. No series of questions are so offensive that they cannot be answered first, and then disputed and complained about after. That is the proper way of doing things. If a Police agent approaches you with a warrant for your arrest, signed by a Judge and based upon probable cause, and you, knowing you're innocent, decide to resist that arrest and assault the agent, what do you think is going to happen to you? What will happen is this: you'll be arrested for the original charge, and then charged with resisting arrest and assault on a law enf officer. In the end, you might be aquitted of the original charge but you'll probably pick up a conviction for assault on the officer. Why? Because you made the wrong decision and decided to do things your way, instead of the proper way. Oh, and as for your "countermeasures" they are a form of DISHONESTY, in my opinon, and any use of them would indicate that you're a DISHONEST person, whether you beat the machine or not. I'd rather walk away knowing I did things on the up and up, and by telling the truth (even if I don't get the job) than to use a form of DISHONESTY in the process. But that's a difference between your character and mine.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006 at 5:06am by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Reply #53 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 2:11am
There seem to be a few misconceptions out there still.  I think most can be cleared up by CAREFULLY reading the two documents attached to this thread as well as my very first thread on this site back in 2003.  Note that the apology letter is in reference to what happened in 2003, not recently.

Link to first thread

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #54 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 2:15am
antrella wrote on Mar 27th, 2006 at 8:28pm:

I find it odd that Antrella speaks about ad hominem attacks when his first repsone to me was filled with them. But of course, s/he's so damned confident of what s/he posts that s/he finds the need to remove all past posts. Could it be so we can't continue to refer back to what s/he previously asserted, after s/he is dispatched as being a total self-contradicting hypocritcal lunatic every time s/he makes another appearance? One recent example is his claim that he would have stood up and popped the questioner if he posed those simply dreadful questions to him. But when confronted with the reality that a person who gets so upset so as to strike someone because of what he said is not being a good example of someone who is "trustworthy", he then backpeddled.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #55 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 2:20am
Onesimus wrote on Mar 28th, 2006 at 2:11am:
There seem to be a few misconceptions out there still.  I think most can be cleared up by CAREFULLY reading the two documents attached to this thread as well as my very first thread on this site back in 2003.  Note that the apology letter is in reference to what happened in 2003, not recently.

Link to first thread

This is also what I was assuming in the beginning. I'd also like to clarify another issue. Did you refuse to answer the investigators questioning this last time while under polygraph examination or while just being interviewed? And if under polygraph, are you claiming that he also asked inappropriate questions?
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:22am by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #56 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 6:51am
Quote:

Oh, and as for your "countermeasures" they are a form of DISHONESTY, in my opinon, and any use of them would indicate that you're a DISHONEST person, whether you beat the machine or not. I'd rather walk away knowing I did things on the up and up, and by telling the truth (even if I don't get the job) than to use a form of DISHONESTY in the process. But that's a difference between your character and mine.

PentaFed,

Must be a nice place to live in a such a perfect world. This website wouldn't even exist,  it hadn't been for the gorilla tactics of polygraphers on innocent folks. Go through the gut wrenching ordeal of getting a false positive and know that you were 100% honest, yet still failed. 
You come on this website in less than 20 posts and proclaim how high and righteous you are and never once produce anything other than criticism and distain for the ordeal that started this thread. 
As far as being DISHONEST, countermeasures in defense of ones self and veracity is never DISHONEST. Thats like saying everyone who owns a radar dectector must me an habitual speeder. They are mechanisms of self defense against an oppressive and worthless process that will be shown for useless as time progresses. And lets not forget something, researching polygraphy, disbelief in polygraphy, and knowing countermeasures is not illegal, nor is it corrupt, or DISHONEST. Another fallacy you are trying to push. Oh thats right I forgot, you work for the government and your here to help.  Open your eyes and look beyond your bureacratic dogma, unless your so institutionalized that you can't see the need for dissent and open debate. When I hung my uniform up, it was the last day I ever said without thought, YES SIR. Get a clue, people don't like being screwed with, and will resort to mitigating anything that is oppressive and wrong.  Bottom line is Onesimus did nothing wrong ... contrary to your beliefs. His honesty and candor just by being here proves what ever adjudication authority was neither.  I would trust him further than a whole lot of civilians I had the misfortune of working with, most being there only to collect a paycheck and not much more. And don't you have something else to be doing other than wasting my tax dollars on bulletin board posts ? Now lets talk DISHONEST.

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #57 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 3:37pm
EosJupiter wrote on Mar 28th, 2006 at 6:51am:

PentaFed,

Must be a nice place to live in a such a perfect world. This website wouldn't even exist,  it hadn't been for the gorilla tactics of polygraphers on innocent folks. Go through the gut wrenching ordeal of getting a false positive and know that you were 100% honest, yet still failed. 
You come on this website in less than 20 posts and proclaim how high and righteous you are and never once produce anything other than criticism and distain for the ordeal that started this thread. 
As far as being DISHONEST, countermeasures in defense of ones self and veracity is never DISHONEST. Thats like saying everyone who owns a radar dectector must me an habitual speeder. They are mechanisms of self defense against an oppressive and worthless process that will be shown for useless as time progresses. And lets not forget something, researching polygraphy, disbelief in polygraphy, and knowing countermeasures is not illegal, nor is it corrupt, or DISHONEST. Another fallacy you are trying to push. Oh thats right I forgot, you work for the government and your here to help.  Open your eyes and look beyond your bureacratic dogma, unless your so institutionalized that you can't see the need for dissent and open debate. When I hung my uniform up, it was the last day I ever said without thought, YES SIR. Get a clue, people don't like being screwed with, and will resort to mitigating anything that is oppressive and wrong.  Bottom line is Onesimus did nothing wrong ... contrary to your beliefs. His honesty and candor just by being here proves what ever adjudication authority was neither.  I would trust him further than a whole lot of civilians I had the misfortune of working with, most being there only to collect a paycheck and not much more. And don't you have something else to be doing other than wasting my tax dollars on bulletin board posts ? Now lets talk DISHONEST.

Boy, you sure do invent a lot of crap when trying to make a point don't ya? You know nothing about me, sir, yet you continue to imply you know what I do, who I work for, and how "high and mighty' I think I am. And if you believe that  taking positive steps to interfere in a government investigation is akin to using a radar detector which detects speed traps (a civil infraction I might add) than you surely have no baseline that you refer to when you're deciding what is right and what is wrong in terms of YOUR behavior. From what you've written you sound like a paranoid who thinks the government is "out to get him." I wouldn't trust you with my morning newspaper. In your eyes if someone is a polygrapher or works for the government, they have an evil agenda to attack you and all who take polygraphs. The fact is that hundreds of people pass polygraphs every year and, while I don't support their use, the horror and injustices you purport to take place aren't as widespread as you would like us all to believe. Yes, they happen. Yes, I don't believe polygraphy is a good means to an end. But, we've already seen examples of the kind of wayward thinking that you display, so you're certainly in no position to discuss ethics. It would appear that you believe morals and ethics are relative to your convenience, and if one party is unethical than you now have the right to also be unethical. It doesn't work that way, Sir. At least not in my world. And I ASSURE you, my world is FAR from perfect. If your goal is to educate and informa the public about the weak reliability of polygraphs, fine. If your goal is to lobby the government to end their use, fine. When you get to the point where you're encouraging people involved in an employment or clearance process to take active, dishonest, steps to try and beat the thing, you've crossed the line. I'm curious, how do you feel about peopole who actually do have integrity issues beating the polygraph? Do you just support honest people beating the system or are you in favor of having shitbags get access to our national secrets? The way you make your aqrguments leads me to believe you support the latter. Do clarify.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #58 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:16pm
EOS:

Come on lighten up.  We all know that deep down you want to be a polygraph examiner.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #59 - Mar 28th, 2006 at 4:26pm
PentaFed,

You write in part:
Quote:

...If your goal is to educate and informa the public about the weak reliability of polygraphs....

Actually "weakness" does not begin to describe the phenomenon.  The circumstances are absolutely dire and dangerous when a national security employee (consumer) believes and acts upon false negative information furnished by the polygrapher (provider) and thereby allows serious national security violations (espionage, etc) to go on unabated.  Regards...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Rejection letter

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X