Normal Topic realy work ? (Read 3214 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box llkiop
New User

realy work ?
Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:21pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
does these methods on countermesures really work ? I havent seen to many post about if anyone has acctually beaten the test with the countermeasers in this book . I have a test next week for the probation office. I want the results to be positive but I dont really care seeing on how they are admissable in court anyways. My main question is if they really do work. I will be nervouse and have nothing to hide but dont want to fail regaurdless. Thats why I started reading in this book. Any replys would be appriciated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Re: realy work ?
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 5:03am
llkiop wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:21pm:
does these methods on countermesures really work ? I havent seen to many post about if anyone has acctually beaten the test with the countermeasers in this book . I have a test next week for the probation office. I want the results to be positive but I dont really care seeing on how they are admissable in court anyways. My main question is if they really do work. I will be nervouse and have nothing to hide but dont want to fail regaurdless. Thats why I started reading in this book. Any replys would be appriciated.

PLEASE don't listen to these people.  If you are being truthful, then go with your gut and do what you know is right.  Good luck, hombre...

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 3:51pm
nonombre wrote on Mar 6th, 2006 at 5:03am:

PLEASE don't listen to these people.  If you are being truthful, then go with your gut and do what you know is right.  Good luck, hombre...

Regards,

Nonombre

And if you fail even while being truthful (which happened to me in three of my four polygraphs) you can take heart in knowing that even though the polygraph isn't 100% accurate...  well...  Actually, I really don't know what would make you feel any better at that point.

If this is for a probation hearing and you fail despite being truthful you can console yourself on the way back to prison by saying, "Hey, at least I refused to bite my tongue or do math problems in my head.  I may be going back to prison but at least I didn't do anything the polygraph examiner considers cheating."

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box llkiop
New User

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:00pm
they cant send you back for failing a polygraph.. thats just stupid ... Ive never heard of that ... its admisable in court but they can send you to jail for it ... I dont believe it ... doesnt make any sence ..... DOES THE COUNTERMEASURES REALLY WORK OR NOT ?? someone please reply

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:13pm
llkiop wrote on Mar 6th, 2006 at 11:00pm:
they cant send you back for failing a polygraph.. thats just stupid ... Ive never heard of that ... its admisable in court but they can send you to jail for it ... I dont believe it ... doesnt make any sence .....

Yes, it's stupid and doesn't make any sense. But it seems that in some jurisdictions, a probationer can indeed be sent to jail for failing to pass a polygraph "test." You might check with a lawyer regarding the applicable law in your state.

Quote:
DOES THE COUNTERMEASURES REALLY WORK OR NOT ?? someone please reply

Yes, they really work. See Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and the sources cited there. But even with countermeasures, one cannot be absolutely certain of passing. One might still react most strongly to a relevant question. Or one might mistake a relevant question for a "control" question and wrongly augment a reaction to it. Or the polygrapher may have decided in advance that the examinee will not pass: in post-conviction polygraph screening programs the polygrapher may have a financial incentive to keep the examinee coming back as many times as possible.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box detector1012000
User

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 8:36am
llkiop

Use of countermeasures, if not detected by the examiner will allow you to be dishonest and pass.  Dishonesty with your probation officer and treatment provider does not help you change your behavior.  The act you were involved in got you on probation and use of countermeasures and dishonesty will put you in prison.  You may wish to consider a lifestyle change, which would include being honest in your everyday dealings as well as on your polygraph.  I am certain you will be told to use countermeasures to insure your examination yields truthful results, if detected it is going to cost you financially the first time and prison time if it does not stop on the second test if you are allowed that opportunity.  Think twice before acting once.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 8:56am
I have changed my view of countermeasures. I was against their use and did not use them on any of my 4 failed FBI polys. Now I see it like this....

#1-If you cant practice the CMs and SEE what your techniques are looking like on a chart, I'm not sure how effective you can be using them.

#2- It is not inherently honest or dishonest to produce an elevated pulse, increase your sweat gland activity via self induced pain, or artifically change your breathing pattern. The test DOES NOT DETECT LIES. It detects physiological changes which the operator ASSUMES are caused by lies. Your only moral obligation is to not lie. If you are telling the truth it makes no damn difference how much swet is on your finger and during which questions the sweat appears. If you have done something in vioation of the relevant issues of the test, then you should man up and admit it and not take the test at all.

The whole argument is absurd-"you are morally wrong to elevate your pulse when I ask you if you have ever beat your dog." NO-YOU ARE MORALLY WRONG TO BEAT YOUR DOG. IF YOU HAVE NOT BEAT YOUR DOG, YOU ARE MORALLY RIGHT. IF YOU PULSE INCREASING WAS MORALLY WRONG THEN JOGGING WOULD BE A FRIGGIN FEDERAL OFFENSE. I'm out. Discussion over.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 4:27pm
Crider:

If you are going to rant and rave and not make sense why don't you at least learn how to spell.

Pay backs are a bitch.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 8:22pm
Spelling is not my problem, typing is. And that was not a rant or a rave. That was a well developed moral argument for the use of countermeasures with a little bit of emotion thrown in. Since you seem to have missed the poiunt, I will sum it up.

Since the polygraph does not detect lies, it is not immoral to make you pulse increase on purpose if you are telling the truth because there is nothing inherently immoral about your pulse. 

If you have a substantive response, I'd like to hear it. If you want to comment further on the fact that I'm not a great typist or proofreader, well, I'll assume that means your arguments to the point at hand have run out

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2006 at 8:47pm
retcopper wrote on Mar 7th, 2006 at 4:27pm:
Crider:

If you are going to rant and rave and not make sense why don't you at least learn how to spell.

Pay backs are a bitch.

For future reference:  when complaining about proper word usage, spelling, grammar, etc. please ensure that your ducks are in a row.  The word payback and any of its derivatives are one word.  They are not separated.

Also, thank you for adding your usual substance free chime-in.

IP Logged

realy work ?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X