Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) fbi polygraph in one week - pls. help! (Read 7676 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box collider
New User

fbi polygraph in one week - pls. help!
Mar 4th, 2006 at 6:51am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi all, I have read the materials here and acclimated myself to the question formats. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to share his/her Bureau experience w/ me/us. I'm curious as to how many questions are asked, and if theyre asked in a certain order (like relevant/control/control/control/relevant etc. or something). I have absolutely nothing to hide and sometimes wish I wasn't so intellectually curious - ignorance is bliss! 

Still, I'd like to practice "in my mind" to the extent possible - so I am curious: is it better to concentrate thoughts on the relevant questions (get accustomed to hearing them, so as to reduce response when I actually hear them on test day), or is it better to concentrate thoughts on the control questions, so when test day comes I can think disturbing thoughts when I hear them. 

THANKS all.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Re: fbi polygraph in one week - pls. help!
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 8:59am
Collider,

Practice the mental countermeasures until they are habit. Use any one that is the easiest for you. And do keep pace with the polygraphers ploys to break down your will. Don't let it happen, keep cool, keep calm. And stick to 100% of your information you gave them on your BI questionaire. If your 100% honest with your answers from the questionaire you will be successful. But do not get trapped outside the box on this one, as they will try to put you there. Stick to the game plan. They will have enough question from your info to cover, Counter Intelligence, Drugs, Personal Credibility. But do expect it to be a long day. Can't answer on number of questions, sorry it would be just a guess on my part. Remember that the polygrapher has a routine and show to present, enjoy the show, just don't buy into it.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 9:31pm
collider wrote on Mar 4th, 2006 at 6:51am:
Hi all, I have read the materials here and acclimated myself to the question formats. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to share his/her Bureau experience w/ me/us. I'm curious as to how many questions are asked, and if theyre asked in a certain order (like relevant/control/control/control/relevant etc. or something). I have absolutely nothing to hide and sometimes wish I wasn't so intellectually curious - ignorance is bliss! 

Still, I'd like to practice "in my mind" to the extent possible - so I am curious: is it better to concentrate thoughts on the relevant questions (get accustomed to hearing them, so as to reduce response when I actually hear them on test day), or is it better to concentrate thoughts on the control questions, so when test day comes I can think disturbing thoughts when I hear them. 

THANKS all.

collider,

Reading TLBTLD as I assume you've done will help you understand the drill--you will know exactly what's going on. Before the test, he'll ask you if you've ever been poly'd before and will ask what you know about it. Do not tell him what you really know or you are doomed for sure. Make up  something--the test doesn't cover what you know about polygraphy. He may warn you about countermeasures, though he may not use that word specifically. You will be warned to tell the truth about everything--the FBI doesn't want liars, etc. He'll go over the relevants (have you violated the FBI's drug guidelines, lied on application, has anyone motivated you to seek FBI employment, have you had contact w/ foreign intelligence) and have you answer them on a form and sign/date it. He may pick up the honesty sermon again and ask you control questions. If you divulge, he'll try to limit the time frame of such misdeeds. The number of controls probably varies from person to person, depending on how much you fess up. Some examiners will ask controls, but if they think you're answering honestly or do not appear to be bothered, he may drop them and they won't appear on the test. He'll ask if there's anything bothering you before the test and you'll say I'm sure like most people, that you're a little nervous and he'll say everyone is. 

The examiner will begin the in-test, asking you a mix of irrelevants, controls and relevants for each round of questions, letting you take a break in -between  rounds. You don't want to concentrate on the relevants --don't let them bother you. It's worrying about the controls that is key to passing the test. Just because you have nothing to hide, does not mean the so-called test will prove you truthful. Worry like hell over the controls. If I were in your shoes and knew about this nonsense beforehand, I would have opted out of the poly and withdrew my application. If you're informed about the poly and still want to work there, I would say definitely practice the mental countermeasures--think of something that truly frightens you during the controls.  The fact that you know the truth about polys and the differences in the questions will most assuredly affect your test. You will know the controls are meaningless to the examiner and won't worry about them unless you use cms. If your charts are scored as no deception indicated, you'll be out of there in about an hour and a half, if not, the examiner will begin his interrogation of you and you're looking at about 3 hours... 

No matter what the examiner says DO NOT under any circumstances, admit to using countermeasures or let him trick you into admitting something you didn't do. He may accuse you of using cm's. He should be less suspicious of you since this is your first test, but this site has created some paranoia among polygaphers in the agency, so be on guard. No matter what examiners say, if cms are employed correctly, they don't know for sure if they're being used. Stick to your guns as if your life depended on it.

By the way, ignorance was not bliss for me. I was uninformed and believed the poly was straightforward--tell the truth and pass--definitely not the case. Good luck to you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 11:44pm
collider,

The FBI's pre-employment polygraph examination is very similar to that which you will find described in DoDPI's Law Enforcement Pre-Employment Test examiner's guide:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/dodpi-lepet.pdf

I do not mean to be flippant, but the best advice I could give you regarding the polygraph is to cancel it now and withdraw your application. The FBI has a pre-employment polygraph failure rate of about 50%. Yet the procedure has absolutely no scientific basis, and many truthful applicants are wrongly branded as liars. By proceding with the polygraph, you are playing Russian roulette with your future--but with three bullets in the cylinder instead of just one.

The consequences of wrongly failing the FBI polygraph are long-lasting and severe. In my opinion, the risk greatly outweighs the potential reward. See my article, "Just Say 'No' to FBI Polgyraphs" for more in this regard:

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-032.shtml

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 12:15am
George - while I sympathize with your story, and am fully on-board with the mission to remove the polygraph from federal employment screening entirely, the option "refuse to take it" is just untenable for many of us, including myself. I have nothing to hide - this is my dream job. No one ever got anywhere without taking a risk or two. If it goes well, I'm in. If not, I'm out. There are other agencies that don't require polys (military intel, DSS, others). And though an FBI polygraph failure remains on file forever, I don't think that's an adequate deterrent. I like to think if other agencies are interested enough, they'll either readminister their own polygraphs at a later time. But who knows (I'd be interested in hearing whether applicants elsehere - CIA, NSA et al - had any experiences post-FBI polygraph failure).

As someone who understands the test, countermeasures, etc., I'm simply not concerned with a false positive. 

What I am concerned with are the questions I posed, and if anyone has specific answers - why not share them with me and others who could benefit from this information?

1) The phrasing used in the FBI poly - how many questions, and what wording - and 2) whether it's best to practice for the control questions or the relevants. 

A side question: has anyone taken a practice polygraph? Is this even feasible?

Where there's a will, there's a way. I will simply not allow a junk science bunk test to derail my career goal. I know - it has for so many others - but remember: nothing ventured, nothing gained.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 12:46am
collider,

The FBI was my dream job, too, and like you, I had nothing to hide. But the FBI is not the organization I dreamed it to be. While I know first hand that there are many fine people employed by the FBI, the leadership is corrupt and incompetent beyond any hope of reform. The FBI is not an organization I would today want to be associated with in any way, shape, or form.

With regard to your first question, again, see the DoDPI LEPET examiner's guide. Regarding your second question, there is little one can do to prevent reactions to relevant questions. The much better countermeasure approach is to augment reactions to the "control" questions.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #6 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 1:42am
Dear collider,

The dodpi-lepet.pdf is about as exact as it gets for FBI procedure and protocol.  It was quite amazing to see this after my polygraphs for it was exactly as stated.  I do not like the "nothing ventured nothing gained mentality."  This is your reputation and once made record by the FBI, it is close to impossible to clean up easily. 

I do not mind a fair bet if the house is playing clean but the cards are heavily stacked against you.  I hope you come back to this website with news of success but it is almost painful to keep reading about all the false positives coming out of this process.

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:50pm
Quote:
Dear collider,

The dodpi-lepet.pdf is about as exact as it gets for FBI procedure and protocol.  It was quite amazing to see this after my polygraphs for it was exactly as stated.  I do not like the "nothing ventured nothing gained mentality."  This is your reputation and once made record by the FBI, it is close to impossible to clean up easily. 

I do not mind a fair bet if the house is playing clean but the cards are heavily stacked against you.  I hope you come back to this website with news of success but it is almost painful to keep reading about all the false positives coming out of this process.

Regards.

thanks for your help Fair Chance, and your guidance George...

unfortunately, at many points in your life, you will be fighting against a house with the chips/cards/deck heavily stacked against you. whether or not you subscribe to the worldview "nothing ventured, nothing gained," it is a truism. 

my level of confidence has risen dramatically over the past few days. i know i have nothing to hide. will i use CMs? probably. will i pass? almost certainly. and in the chance that i don't? i'll be distraught, but will accept the fact that for now - such a career is simply not available, and it's the bureau's loss, not mine. it's a matter of time before the polygraph is kiboshed - until then, we have to work to change the system, but also work within the system.

before i vanish off into the sunset, i have a couple of detailed questions i'd like to ask someone who has taken the FBI polygraph - nothing major, but just logistical details that i'd rather not ask/have answered out in the open. if you're willing to help, please private message me.

thanks for all the info, guidance, and feedback. will soon be time to roll.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:30pm
collider

Hey Bud, I admire your self confidence and tenacity. Few youngsters of today has it. Unfortunately, it seems that our government and corporations want yes people. Hence the outsourcing. Greed comes in to play here too.

If you are unfortunate enough to become a false positive statistic (as you say "we all lose"), I hope you retain that tenacity and fight them and fight hard. Show them that they are not the only ones who can play hardball.

Good Luck

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #9 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 8:28pm
collider wrote on Mar 5th, 2006 at 6:50pm:

unfortunately, at many points in your life, you will be fighting against a house with the chips/cards/deck heavily stacked against you. whether or not you subscribe to the worldview "nothing ventured, nothing gained," it is a truism.

Dear collider,

As Two Block has recoginized, you have moxie and bravado.  I wish you luck.

No one here will know how much in my lifetime I have fought against a stacked deck.  Most of the time it was for my friends, family, shipmates, or officers in situations which were not of my creating.  I was able to win them but they do take a toll out of your life.  

I believe that these types of situations cannot be compared to a simple job application for the FBI when it does not even allow due process for its potential employees.  Save your energy for the big battles in life, do not waste them on a Federal Application involving polygraphs if you can avoid it.  There are plenty of Federal openings which do not use the polygraph.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Collectivist
New User

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 4:40am
Wouldn't the butt clench countermeasure be the most effective? Does anyone know if the FBI ever uses the device on the seat which is supposed to be able to detect this?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 6:56am
Collectivist wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 4:40am:
Wouldn't the butt clench countermeasure be the most effective?

Why do you believe this would be the case?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spark
New User

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:11am
Two issues before you make your big decision.  First of all these UFO chasing people are here saying the “same old thing” every night for a reason, and it’s not because the polygraph kicked their ass…if you read through the BS it is more likely they are no different than your 13 year old son…they can’t accept accountability for past transgressions and WILL NOT accept your choosing to put them on restriction for Friday night.  It just can’t be…I can do WHATEVER I want and you can’t stop me…then reality hits…sorry Charlie.  My first point, they were all false positive’s because they “say so” nothing more.  Everyone of them line by line “say” they never did anything wrong…had nothing to worry about, ok, wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up quicker.   

2nd point and you brought it up.  You ever practice these techniques?    That’s right bro, your first day of training camp and your super bowl will all be combined and within 15 minutes of the most important time of your life…if this is your dream job.  Not just that, but during the entire test your going to be thinking, am I doing this CM shit right? Was that enough, too much, was that the right question, oh shoot I think he’s looking at me funny, etc., instead of where your mind should be on the questions.  That coupled with you don’t know what the hell your doing, etc., gives the presence of the turd floating in a punch bowl.  And they’ll tell you “they can’t see it” I say how do you know?  Because nobody accepts your challenge?  Hmmmm….ok…I really wonder why that is?  All I can say is this…if this is YOUR life goal and you truly have nothing to hide, walk into that test with confidence (like you already have) and just take the examination without the horseshit.  Because when you get caught acting like a dumb ass, you raise suspicion towards you (could be DQ’d automatically) and if you’re truly a worthy candidate you don’t need any problems that aren’t warranted.  Or you can roll the dice and blow up your super bowl.  But, if that happens…then you can be a new UFO chaser on this site…bitching and whining about the injustices of the man.   

Other than the same old $hit with no scientific basis, pseudoscience BS, is there anything new you have to give to this topic of polygraph?  What is your “basis” for being a false positive?  Because you say?  Why should anyone believe you?  Does anyone care?  There will always be more success stories than unsupported disenfranchisements…hell, just today I cleared two people of wrong doing….that’s about 1/5th of the full time UFO chasers you have on this site (same old people with the same old song and dance)  Big George chanting his rantings with his minions saying yeah yeah yeah…or the minions stating you talk about big George like that..he’s my Saint and Savior…yeah yeah yeah!  Hahahaha.  Why do I come?  Enterfrickentainment…I’m not much for checkers if you know what I mean!  Haha

What?!  ~Spark

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:44am
spark wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:11am:
Two issues before you make your big decision.  First of all these UFO chasing people are here saying the “same old thing” every night for a reason, and it’s not because the polygraph kicked their ass…if you read through the BS it is more likely they are no different than your 13 year old son…they can’t accept accountability for past transgressions and WILL NOT accept your choosing to put them on restriction for Friday night.  It just can’t be…I can do WHATEVER I want and you can’t stop me…then reality hits…sorry Charlie.  My first point, they were all false positive’s because they “say so” nothing more.  Everyone of them line by line “say” they never did anything wrong…had nothing to worry about, ok, wish in one hand and shit in the other, see which one fills up quicker.  

2nd point and you brought it up.  You ever practice these techniques?    That’s right bro, your first day of training camp and your super bowl will all be combined and within 15 minutes of the most important time of your life…if this is your dream job.  Not just that, but during the entire test your going to be thinking, am I doing this CM shit right? Was that enough, too much, was that the right question, oh shoot I think he’s looking at me funny, etc., instead of where your mind should be on the questions.  That coupled with you don’t know what the hell your doing, etc., gives the presence of the turd floating in a punch bowl.  And they’ll tell you “they can’t see it” I say how do you know?  Because nobody accepts your challenge?  Hmmmm….ok…I really wonder why that is?  All I can say is this…if this is YOUR life goal and you truly have nothing to hide, walk into that test with confidence (like you already have) and just take the examination without the horseshit.  Because when you get caught acting like a dumb ass, you raise suspicion towards you (could be DQ’d automatically) and if you’re truly a worthy candidate you don’t need any problems that aren’t warranted.  Or you can roll the dice and blow up your super bowl.  But, if that happens…then you can be a new UFO chaser on this site…bitching and whining about the injustices of the man.  

Other than the same old $hit with no scientific basis, pseudoscience BS, is there anything new you have to give to this topic of polygraph?  What is your “basis” for being a false positive?  Because you say?  Why should anyone believe you?  Does anyone care?  There will always be more success stories than unsupported disenfranchisements…hell, just today I cleared two people of wrong doing….that’s about 1/5th of the full time UFO chasers you have on this site (same old people with the same old song and dance)  Big George chanting his rantings with his minions saying yeah yeah yeah…or the minions stating you talk about big George like that..he’s my Saint and Savior…yeah yeah yeah!  Hahahaha.  Why do I come?  Enterfrickentainment…I’m not much for checkers if you know what I mean!  Haha

What?!  ~Spark

And Spark Spelled backwards is Kraps .....

Thats what you roll when you listen to polygraphers with the same old spiel, and how good we polygraphers are, and you will be caught, and you will ruin your life, and your dog will die, and you'll contract a horrible disease. And we can detect mental countermeasures.
All stories to scare the uninformed and gullible. 

If your so good then why worry about such a small  irrelevant website. We have no validity in what we say, and obviously a great interrogator such as yourself isn't worried one little bit. Real interrogators don't need a polygraph to get the information required. 

The truth is spark, you and polygraph are beatable, you can't  detect countermeasures. ANd the best part is the numbers keep growing on folks who are prepared and well read on the polygraph, and won't buy in to your schtick !!! But I do find this highly entertaining as it gives me exercise in countering testimony.  Keep up the good work.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:59am
spark wrote on Mar 15th, 2006 at 7:11am:
...hell, just today I cleared two people of wrong doing….

The notion that a person can be "cleared" based on polygraph results is a dangerous delusion.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

fbi polygraph in one week - pls. help!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X