Normal Topic Made a mistake (Read 9170 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ayce
New User

Made a mistake
Mar 1st, 2006 at 1:56am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was recently in the hiring process for the CHP and was DQed in less than two weeks after the start of the backround investigation.  My BI stated during the Final interview that I had lied to the QAP about if I had ever been fired or resigned in lieu of being fired from a job.  Well during my QAP I had written on the applicant questionaire that one of my jobs which was a telemarketing job, I was let go for not making the appointment quota,  but I was still eligable for rehire.  This was clearly written on the questionaire and during the QAP the individuals interviewing saw that I had written this down.  But I was very nervous so when the Panel asked me that if had ever been fired I answered no, since I was eligable for rehire in my mind I thought I technically hadn't been fired. I feel I didn't try to hide anything since I had listed it on the questionaire and the Personal history statement that my BI had access to.  It had taken nearly 13 months from my PAT just to get my initial backround interview, just to have my BI disqualify me without really even starting the backround investigation just after two weeks.  I feel robbed, to be DQ'd like this,  I have applied for expedited testing with the airport police, and my question is how do I proceed with them, how do I explain my recent DQ with the CHP.  The only issue in my backround was a job I recently had that I resigned from due to the fact that I could not handle the graveyard shift and school at the same time and resigned instead of getting fired.  Also my credit history is poor but I have started a credit counseling service and that shouldn't be an issue since i am paying my debts now.  I have a good driving record and clean criminal, any advice would be helpful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box magnetar
New User

Re: Made a mistake
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 8:25am
You might want to check with the Airport PD to see if that CHP disqualification can affect your entry.  If it is at all possible, call the Airport PD recruitment unit and explain your situation to them.

Magnetar - is a neutron star with an extremely strong magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma-rays. Wikipedia.org (2006)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ayce
New User

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 8:44pm
Thanks for the reply, I guess thats all I can do for now I guess.  I will call the airport police immediatly.  I regret not applying to the airport police or another angency a while back.  I really do regret applying for the CHP. I waited so long for so little, and other departments are hurting for people, and process people much quicker.  And actually I feel the Airport police is much more in line with what I want to do, heck even the LAPD falls more in line with what I want.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box magnetar
New User

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 3:09am
If you decide to apply with the LAPD, just know that they are strict in their selection process.  There are people on this message board that have applied with them and have had negative experiences with them.  The LAPD recently changed their selection process because they were loosing too many applicants.  I heard from other applicants that the new selection process is stringent as well.  I reviewed the new selection process and it looks complicated to me.  There are plenty of LE agencies throughout the Southern California area, I suggest you try those before considering the LAPD.  Good luck and I hope that everything goes well.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2006 at 4:01am by magnetar »  

Magnetar - is a neutron star with an extremely strong magnetic field, the decay of which powers the emission of copious amounts of high-energy electromagnetic radiation, particularly X-rays and gamma-rays. Wikipedia.org (2006)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sternfanatick
New User

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 4:35am
ayce wrote on Mar 1st, 2006 at 1:56am:
I was recently in the hiring process for the CHP and was DQed in less than two weeks after the start of the backround investigation.  My BI stated during the Final interview that I had lied to the QAP about if I had ever been fired or resigned in lieu of being fired from a job.  Well during my QAP I had written on the applicant questionaire that one of my jobs which was a telemarketing job, I was let go for not making the appointment quota,  but I was still eligable for rehire.  This was clearly written on the questionaire and during the QAP the individuals interviewing saw that I had written this down.  But I was very nervous so when the Panel asked me that if had ever been fired I answered no, since I was eligable for rehire in my mind I thought I technically hadn't been fired. I feel I didn't try to hide anything since I had listed it on the questionaire and the Personal history statement that my BI had access to.  It had taken nearly 13 months from my PAT just to get my initial backround interview, just to have my BI disqualify me without really even starting the backround investigation just after two weeks.  I feel robbed, to be DQ'd like this,  I have applied for expedited testing with the airport police, and my question is how do I proceed with them, how do I explain my recent DQ with the CHP.  The only issue in my backround was a job I recently had that I resigned from due to the fact that I could not handle the graveyard shift and school at the same time and resigned instead of getting fired.  Also my credit history is poor but I have started a credit counseling service and that shouldn't be an issue since i am paying my debts now.  I have a good driving record and clean criminal, any advice would be helpful.

The problem was that you stated two completely opposite "facts" in your BG investigation.  Remember, anything you write down and sign off on becomes a material fact in the BG; and anything you say during a dept interview is a fact - that's why they record everything, so you can't dispute them later.  I feel your pain.  I filled out my BG questionairre and at the last minute noticed that I had accidently written down two opposing "facts"... with the BG investigator yelling at me I took and extra minute to erase and change my response.  

If you're applying to LAXPD, you MUST tell the investigator what happened.  They use the same investigators for LAPD candidates so they'll be just as jerky. Most are retired LAPD detectives, by the way. Don't try to hide the fact that you got a DQ.  Explain to him/her that in your mind you thought you were being honest and you WERE NOT trying to be evasive.  You've learned the hard way after spending 13 months processing only to be DQ'd.  They will grill you but stick to your guns.  If you're square with them, it should not be an issue because you were honest and forthright in the airport BG investigation - that's what matters most!

IP Logged

Made a mistake

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X