Normal Topic BI??  who may be contacted!?! (Read 4744 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Steve_H
Ex Member

BI??  who may be contacted!?!
Feb 27th, 2006 at 4:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello all, 
Here is my question...who specifically, does a Background Investigator speaks with when conducting a BI??   I came up with this list; Father, Mother, Sister, Brother, spouse, my kids, my listed character references and my supervisors/employer....  Did I miss anyone??  Please add any person/group I might have missed.

Thank You!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: BI??  who may be contacted!?!
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 4:52am
This really depends on the background investigator and what his/her department allows him to do for the investigation, how much time he can commit to it and if he is given time for face to face interviews.

Yes, they more than likely will contact all those that you listed, they will also contact prior employers AND co-workers.  If he is worth a grain of salt he will also ask your friends, boss, co-workers, family to give him the name of a few of your associates or friends.  All in all if it is a thorough background he may have a list of people that numbers pretty high.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 7:14am
Dimas,
It's for an out-of-state agency...Should I begin letting as many people as I can know that x or y agency may contact them?

Thanks !

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 1:42am
[quote author=Steve_H link=board=police;num=1141002529;start=0#0 date=02/26/06 at 20:08:49]Hello all, 
Here is my question...who specifically, does a Background Investigator speaks with when conducting a BI??   I came up with this list; Father, Mother, Sister, Brother, spouse, my kids, my listed character references and my supervisors/employer....  Did I miss anyone??  Please add any person/group I might have missed.

I can speak only for my Agency and myself.  I will **start** with the references listed and ultimately end up talking to the candidate's enemy at some point.  Then I ask why they didn't get along.  I have some say that "yeah, I thought he was an sob because he stole my girlfriend but hey, he'd probably make a good cop"

I just go where things lead me and particularly check addresses that have not been listed on the application.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box detector1012000
User

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:05am
References are expected to talk good about you, however they also have information about your worst enemies and can relate incidences that are not favorable when spoken to in manerisms that are kindly and appear non threatning to you.  We expect references to speak well of you, and also note that they will give hints of prior bad acts.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 12:08am
Steve,

Unfortunately, many agencies when dealing with out of state applicants usually go the route of mailing out letters with questionairres on them about the candidate.  I say unfortunately, because 1) this is a crappy way to do a background, it is much easier to lie and omit on paper than in person or even via a telephone call.  2) You would be amazed at how lazy your "friends" are when it comes to filling out and mailing one of these things back.  You will have to be on them constantly to complete these stupid things.   

While this may in fact be to the advantage of someone who has something to hide, budget cuts dictate what is appropriate enough for a background.  The other posters are all correct in what they have stated.  For the most part your immediate references are supposed to be the ones that talk greatly of you and then the investigator fishes for information.   

It is also important to let the investigator know about someone in your family who disapproves of your decision to be in law enforcement.  You would be amazed at how many mothers and fathers are contacted that disapproved of their son and mostly daughters decision to work in the LE field and do their best to dissuade the investigator that their child is the type of person for the job.

Also do not be afraid of hiding any type of past problems with employers.  It is best that we find out first through you than from the employer.  We have all had bosses and co-workers that we did not like or get along with.

I must emphasize that I am not nor have I ever been a background investigator, but speak merely of my experience in applying for agencies as well as  working on Oral Boards for various agencies and through that working closely with our agencies Background Investigators.   

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:10am
Dimas,
Thanks for the info once again!

IP Logged

BI??  who may be contacted!?!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X