Normal Topic Re: Just took poly.... (Read 3283 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: Just took poly....
Feb 23rd, 2006 at 5:20am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
renraw,

Sounds like  the results were inconclusive and you are being called back to take another polygraph. An INC is considered by the polygraph community to be an error on the examiner's part. Your situation isn't the same as a retest after a polygraph failure, which as you alluded, virtually no one passes. As I'm sure you're aware from reading this site, just because you tell the truth does not mean the polygraph will prove you truthful. The so-called testing procedure just doesn't work that way. Good luck with your follow-up. You may want to download TLBTLD available free on this site, so that you are INFORMED before submitting to this procedure. A reported 50% of the people who take the FBI polygraph fail it. You may find the stakes to be too high to be worth the gamble.  I don't know what the odds of passing are after an INC? Perhaps, someone with more knowledge about this could post some info.?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 6:25pm
Renraw 

You ask, "Did I really fail"? You didn't say the examiner told you that you failed.  If you want the job why dont you just do what they ask and go back? Of course, if you really  believe that no one ever passes the second test then why go back. 

P.S. Contrary to what Polyfool writes, an inconclusive  call is rendered  because your physiological responses to certain questions were not able to assist the examiner in calling the chart deceptive or truthful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 8:45pm
renraw,

I agree with polyfool: it appears that your polygraph results were inconclusive. Had you "failed," you would have been directly accused of either deception or withholding information and subjected to a post-test interrogation.

Your situation seems to be different from that of those who have actually "failed" an initial FBI pre-employment polygraph and offered a "re-test." In such situations, applicants almost always "fail" the "re-test," too. But this is not necessarily the case with those who initially have an inconclusive result.

It may be in your best interest to continue with the process. When you report for your follow-up polygraph, it would probably be best to adopt the "complete honesty" approach described in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. The FBI's polygraph unit reads this message board, and they'll be looking out for an applicant with an inconclusive result who reports having last used marijuana nine years ago. If you deny having researched polygraphy, you're likely to be found out.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box renraw
New User

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2006 at 10:03pm
Thanks for the info, but the other threads that I was reading throughout this message board stated that people who received inconclusive results weren't offered a "retake" and instead were sent a letter telling them that they were DQ.  Why is my case different?    Anyway, I am scheduled for another polygraph in 2 weeks and I am looking forward to proving my truthfulness.  Will this poly focus on the part that was found INC or will I go through the entire thing all over again?

P.S. George, thanks for the concern, but I figured agencies would be reading this and accounted for that when I put the time I took it, agency and years it has been since I did drugs  Wink

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 4:37am
renraw,

I don't know how other agencies do it, but in the FBI, an applicant found INC on his/her first polygraph is automatically offered another without having to appeal. An applicant deemed deception indicated or DI on one or both series, "fails" and is automatically disqualifed. In order to receive a retest, the "failed" applicant must appeal. However, the appeal process is a total front because as you are aware, virtually no one passes a retest after a failed FBI polygraph. Your situation is actually the norm. Your poly will cover whatever you did not pass or failed to receive a no deception indicated (NDI) on. You won't know this until you actually sit for the so-called test again. I hope you are successful in proving your truthfulness, but based on personal experience, I wouldn't rely on the polygraph to do it. Good luck.      

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 5:03am
retcopper wrote on Feb 23rd, 2006 at 6:25pm:
Renraw 

P.S. Contrary to what Polyfool writes, an inconclusive  call is rendered  because your physiological responses to certain questions were not able to assist the examiner in calling the chart deceptive or truthful.

True. However, when an INC is rendered, it is considered in the polygraph community, to be an error on the part of the examiner. For example, the examiner didn't spend enough time preparing the examinee during the pre-test or failed to get the examinee to hold back on the control questions. That would explain the reasoning behind the examinee being offered a follow-up polygraph--something went wrong through no fault of the examinee.   

I don't necessarily agree with this arguement because the test is so utterly flawed, there are so many things that can and will go wrong.

IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X