Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Highly detailed Anti Polygraph research (Read 32194 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Highly detailed Anti Polygraph research
Reply #45 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 12:06am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
187Dick wrote on Apr 1st, 2006 at 11:10pm:
Sergeant,
     There is a flaw to your logic.  Using that logic, we could say that the judicial system in the United States is flawed because innocent people have been inprisoned; therefore, we should abandon the system and just rely on what?  God to administer justice?
    You could also say that doctors misdiagnose illnesses all the time (I'd venture that this is much more common than false positives in the polygraph field); therefore, we should do away with the medical profession and just let our bodies heal themselves.
    Now we could argue statistics back and forth, and both of us could provide numbers from reliable and valid studies to show the effectiveness of the polygraph, but I believe the debate is weakened.  I prefer a common sense approach.  The problem is how do you know when someone is lying about an important issue.  One of the solutions is to use an istrument that has proven the abiltiy to detect physiological changes in a persons body that are related to the fear of detection of deception.  It may not be perfect, but there is nothing else that comes close.  Your solution is to abandon the practice because it is not perfect and I disagree with that logic as I pointed out.  I see it as a tool that is very useful when used properly by a well trained and ethical examiner.   
     I am not yet ready to let everyone out of prison because the criminal justice system is not perfect.

Rather than changing the subject and getting into the criminal justice system and the medical profession, let’s try to stay on the topic of the polygraph.   

I applaud your suggestion to use a common sense approach in the debate on the validity of the polygraph.  Let us endeavor to do so.  My suggestion was not to scrap the polygraph because it has not achieved deception-detection perfection; it was to scrap the polygraph because it does not work at all.

Looking at it from a common sense perspective I don’t see how you can argue in favor of using a deception detection system that does not, in fact, detect deception.   

As an intimidator used to scare people into making a confession, the polygraph performs admirably if the person being interrogated believes it is capable of detecting lies.  If they do not believe that then the polygraph is worthless in that regard.

When used as a device used to measure a subject’s heart rate, respiration rate, and galvanic skin responses, the polygraph functions admirably in that regard as well.  Does that correspond with an ability to detect deception?  Not according to me, not according to many others on this site, and not according to the Office of Technology Assessment or the National Academy of Sciences.

Falling back on the argument of, “It may not be perfect, but nothing else comes close” is what is truly flawed.  When assessing the validity of any system or tool the only common-sense way of doing so is to determine if and how well the system or tool performs its assigned function.  If it does not do so (like the polygraph and its inability to detect deception) then it is wholly irrelevant how much better or worse it is than other systems or tools that likewise fail to perform the same function.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Mystery
Senior User

Reply #46 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 1:47am
187Dick wrote on Apr 1st, 2006 at 8:43pm:
Mr Mystery,
    If you are ready to mortgage your house to put up as collateral because you are so certain you can beat a polygraph by using countermeasures, I think you should do that.  I can tell you that I won't take that bet, but I am certain that if you put up $500,000.00 (The estimated value of my house) as a bet to any polygraph examiner who can catch you using countermeasures, I am sure you will either be very rich, or very poor in a very short period of time.

At 99 to 1 odds (The implied payoff if an examiner can catch 99% of those attempting countermeasures).  I would only have to put up $5,050 to take your house.  With those odds it seems more like arbitrage than gambling.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #47 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 3:21am
nonombre wrote on Mar 25th, 2006 at 6:57am:

Actually the only issue I see with the curent digital movement sensors is occasional noise in the signal that I believe to be related to muscle movements in other parts of the body.  If someone would like to make some real money, I suggest designing a filter to work in conjunction with the piezo device that would help to better isolate unrelated body movements... 

Electronic devices these days have to meet FCC Class A(commercial) emission standards, a byproduct of which is that they tend to pick up less external interference. However, butt sensors are strain gauges and could be exposed in such a way as to meet FCC regs but still pick up EMF. Things that rub can produce astonishingly high voltages producing ESD (electro-static discharge). These would have a different spectral characteristic than strain changes due to motion and could well benefit from "filters" - if it's a problem. If this problem is suspected, the polygrapher could mitigate it by spraying the seat with one of 3M's anti-stat sprays. This lays down a thin, surfactant film that prevents and drains off static.

Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #48 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 6:17am
Marty wrote on Apr 2nd, 2006 at 3:21am:

Electronic devices these days have to meet FCC Class A(commercial) emission standards, a byproduct of which is that they tend to pick up less external interference. However, butt sensors are strain gauges and could be exposed in such a way as to meet FCC regs but still pick up EMF. Things that rub can produce astonishingly high voltages producing ESD (electro-static discharge). These would have a different spectral characteristic than strain changes due to motion and could well benefit from "filters" - if it's a problem. If this problem is suspected, the polygrapher could mitigate it by spraying the seat with one of 3M's anti-stat sprays. This lays down a thin, surfactant film that prevents and drains off static.

Marty

Thanks Marty,

I'll give it a try...

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 187Dick
New User

Reply #49 - Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:35pm
Mr. Mystery,
     I agree with you that the polygraph does not detect deception, and that is not what is designed to do.  But the system, which is a polygraph being used by a trained examiner, using a very reliable method of question formulation to stimulate responses to specific questions is a very good method of detecting deception. 
     Interestingly enough, I have seen plenty of people take the test who stated they did not believe it worked, and later admitted to deception when confronted by the results of the instrument.  If the system did not work, how would you explain those results?  That it was just mere chance that the instrument detected very slight physiological changes at the point specific questions were asked?
     I think most of the people on the anti-polygraph side of the arguement even have to admit that there is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the system works.  The most common argument I encounter is over the rate of reliability and specifically, on the issue of false positive responses.  Is there a danger that an innocent person will fail the polygraph exam due to a false positive response?  The answer is yes, that is one of the dangers of using the polygraph.
     That's where we get into the argument over what is fair as far as how the system is used and if there really is a need for polygraph examinations.  My belief is that the polygraph system is very good at detecting deception, which makes it extremely valuable to many different entities.  I also believe that over reliance on the use of polygraph is a danger that needs to be adequately monitored to protect innocent people from false positive results on the test.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #50 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 2:46am
187Dick wrote on Apr 2nd, 2006 at 11:35pm:

I agree with you that the polygraph does not detect deception .....

I also believe that over reliance on the use of polygraph is a danger that needs to be adequately monitored to protect innocent people from false positive results on the test.

187Dick,

In these two statements alone (And I did modify this post, I cut out the superficial verbage). You more than support the reason why this website exists and what it represents. If I had you on the stand in court with this statement in hand, It would be fatal to you as a expert witness in front of a jury or judge (obviously if the evidence would ever be allowed in court), maybe in New Mexico. And proves why polygraphic evidence (testimony and artifacts) are not allowed in court.

But on another level, that last statement is why so many people have to turn to this website and learn. There are no protections what so ever, against unethical examiners. Your APA does set standards and a level of professional ethics. But does not enforce or have the teeth to enforce unethical behavior. The only true way to make sure people are not hurt is to end polygraph exams altogether. I suspect that most of the polygrapher posters on this medium do try and live by the code of ethics, as most are LE investigators or interrogators. But the FEDs either don't wish too or see no valid use in it, as they don't have to answer to anyone. 

quickfix, you are excluded from this statement as your posts and decorum have been most professional. (I am guessing your an Army Warrant Officer (351B or 311B), therefore worthy of exception) as those are the only folks who I have meet as (Army Type)  polygraphers. Or at least a retired one.

Regards ....
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006 at 8:53am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #51 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 3:45am
Eos,
    I'm surprised that you feel those two statements would disqualify me as an expert.  The first statement, that the polygraph does not detect deception, is a simple fact.  The polygraph only detects and records physiological changes in the body.  Anyone who claims anything other than that is definitely not an expert on the use of the polygraph.
    The second statement is in regards to quality control efforts on the use of the polygraph.  From my standpoint, poorly trained or unethical examiners present the biggest threat to the polygraph community because they bring down the reliability rates of the rest of the profession.  They claim to be experts in the field of forensic psychophysiology and yet know very little about why polygraphs work.  They don't know how to set up and run a proper polygraph exams, and yet their results are factored into the validity and reliabilty studies.  I would think that whether you support or oppose the use of the polygraph, you would not want those people administering polygraph exams.
    I agree that the APA does not have sufficient control over the polygraph community enough to effectively eliminate bad examiners.  I am in strong support of state regulations implimented to quality control the profession.  (I don't support federal control because it would then be controlled by DoDPI).  

I'm sure we will talk again,
Take care.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #52 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 6:08am
187Dick,

While I whole heartedly concur that much oversite is needed. I see 2 vastly different camps within the polygraph community. First and formost the one where I have the least issue, that is in use by LEO's to do in criminals, and even if I have to defend someone, you can't  beat solid evidence, no matter how hard you try. 

Second, obviously is the hiring and post employment polygraphs. Which is my biggest beef. If you have no control over the process and by many posters on this board, the FED examiners are the biggest offenders of violations in respect to personnal rights and ethics. How do you propose to reign in the unethical practices. Until this happens then as a matter of self protection, knowlege and use of contermeasures is the only course of action. Its unfortunate that this is a cause and effect, but I see very few other options. But the fact is, the few that are bad, undo any of the good that you folks that do try and be professional and ethical. Looking forward to your response.

Regards .....
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006 at 8:57am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #53 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:04am
EosJupiter,

You write:
Quote:

187Dick, 

While I whole heartedly concur that much oversite is needed. I see 2 vastly different camps within the polygraph community. First and formost the one where I have the least issue, that is in use by LEO's to do in criminals, and even if I have to defend someone, you can't  beat solid evidence, no matter how hard you try.   

Second, obviously is the hiring and post employment polygraphs. Which is my biggest beef. If you have no control over the process and by many posters on this board, the FED examiners are the biggest offenders of violations in respect to personnal rights and ethics. How do you propose to reign in the unethical practices. Until this happens then as a matter of self protection, knowlege and use of contermeasures is the only course of action. Its unfortunate that this is a cause and effect, but I see very few other options. But the fact is, the few that are bad, undo any of the good that you folks that do try and be professional and ethical. Looking forward to your response. 

Regards .....

I don't believe so...  What goes on with regard to diagnostics by and large is not about good and bad (although there may well be good and bad individuals in practice) polygraphers, ethical and unethical ones, trained and untrained ones, qualified and unqualified ones or federal vs state and local examiners.  This about practicing polygraphers and those who are retired.  Those who are practicing (lie detection) are involved in quackery and those who are retired used to be involved in quackery.  The exception to this simple algorithm would the small (overall) minority of polygraphers in Japan (and elsewhere?) who are involved in the full-time utilization of concealed information testing for diagnostic purposes.  All of the rest of the nonsense should be stopped.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006 at 11:38am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #54 - Apr 3rd, 2006 at 4:53pm
Dr. Richardson,

I agree to all aspects of polygraphy to be quackery (otherwise I wouldn't be here), but I have to respect the polygraphers that believe in being professional, although its highly illogical to support a system that is inherently flawed. Until we get the comprehensive polygraph protection law, we have to live with these folks. As bad as this system may be, we can't change these polygraphers beliefs, just like they won't change ours.  Thanks for the reminder 

Regards  !!

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #55 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 3:42am
Drew,
    The use of the polygraph in lie detection efforts has been proven successful in hundreds of studies by both the propolygraph community and the antipolygraph community.  Once you admit that there is a higher than average, verifiable accuracy pattern of detecting deception by experienced examiners using polygraph instruments, then you have to admit that there is a level of effectiveness in the use of them.  I have reviewed hundreds of reliability and validity studies, and all of them show a level of accuracy in the ability of examiners to detect deception of subjects being tested with the use of the polygraph.  
    I have not seen a single study that showed the level of effectiveness of single issue polygraph exams to be at or below where the average (50% on yes/no responses) would be.      
    The argument is simple, does attempted deception trigger responses in a subject's body from the sympathetic nervous system, and if so, can those responses be detected by instrumentation?  
    I believe research has proven that statement to be true in most cases.  My concern is the level of accuracy of the system.  (Which I measure in false positive responses).  Because my first hand experience involving the administration of polygraph exams has proven extremely reliable, I am of course in favor of the use of the polygraph to dectect the fear of deception.
    Now you seem to dispute any accuracy of the polygraph testing process.  While I certainly believe you are entitled to your opinion, I would like to know what you base it on.  
    I will look forward to hearing from you.

I'm sure we will talk again,
Take care.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polywantahcracker
New User

Reply #56 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 4:18am
187Dick,

I think even the most extremely anti-poly people would agree there is a higher level or accuracy on the specific issue/criminal investigations. though considerable less then perfect.   I personally do see how it can be an effective interogation tool.

What is your stand/opinion of the screening or pre-employment poly.

Thanks
polywantahcracker

IP Logged

New User

Reply #57 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 4:36am
Poly,
    I support the use of the polygraph for pre-employment screening.  I'll admit that multi-issue tests are less reliable than single issue tests; however, I still believe it's a valuable tool (when used with a very thorough background investigation) to evaluate potential employees.  While I know the system is not perfect, I know of numerous law enforcement applicants (including lateral candidates from outside agencies), who have admitted to some very serious felonies after failing the polygraph.  Interestingly, almost all of them were due to failing specific issue tests after showing deception on multi-issue tests.
    I also know the stress of taking a polygraph exam can make the experience rather traumatic, even for the innocent person; however, hundreds of thousands of people have passed the polygraph exam by doing one simple thing, telling the truth.  The main reason I come to this site is to hopefully infulence innocent people who have to take a polygraph exam to not get caught up believing they have to try some sort of countermeasures to pass.  I have seen far too many people fail the polygraph because they tried to conceal something that would not have even disqualified them from the position, than have failed  because their previous actions did disqualify them.
    Because I have fisthand experience with the polygraph, I don't doubt it's effectiveness when properly used.  

I hope I answered your quesiton,
Take care.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #58 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 6:33am
187Dick wrote on Apr 6th, 2006 at 4:36am:
Poly,
    I support the use of the polygraph for pre-employment screening.  I'll admit that multi-issue tests are less reliable than single issue tests; however, I still believe it's a valuable tool (when used with a very thorough background investigation) to evaluate potential employees.  

Dear 187Dick,

There are alot of employment agencies, including the FBI, who perform no background investigation.  The prescreening polygraph is the judge, jury, and executioner of many applicants strictly based on polygraph "results" of a prescreening employement exam.  The FBI does not videotape (I assume that all videotape includes audio) or audiotape any of the prescreening exams.  Combine that with no background investigation to confirm polygraph accusations and it spells prejudice, heresay, and good ole-boy-syndrome.

It is just not right.  How clear can I say it?  The applicant should be given the reasonable doubt unless you have something more than polygraph results to destroy a person who wants federal employment.

There are thousands of retired FBI employees and current employees who have served honorably without the use of polygraph screening.  Future behavior cannot be predicited by polygraph screening.  We are leaving huge holes in security due to the belief that polygraph prescreening leads to more "trustworthy" applicants and employees.

The emporer has no clothes.  The system is broken.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polywantahcracker
New User

Reply #59 - Apr 6th, 2006 at 5:02pm
187Dick,

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of Polygraphers admit there are problems with pre-screening polygraphs however they all take the "you have to break some eggs to make an omlet" stance.

Depending on what side of the table your sitting on I can see how you can feel comfortable maintaning that opinion.  My side of the table is full of hopes, dreams, motivation, aspirations, skills and ability.  Yours has the "box" and the ability to trash everything on my side.

I for one don't understand how any applicant worth their salt wouldn't look at the drug requirements on the agencies website before applying.  I believe the vast majority do and those that don't fall in the guidlines don't apply.  Of course I have no proof of this, it is only my opinion.

This creates an applicant pool where in my opinion the vast majority meet the drug guidlines.  But somehow agencies like the FBI find a 50+% failure rate acceptable.  Frankly I think the questions regarding national security are a formality.  I would love to see the % + or - difference between how many applicants are rejected for national security vs. drug questions.    Maybe that's not a fair question because naturally we are not a country full of spies....but wouldn't that bias make it so, so difficult to find a spy.

Sorry for all the random observations....

-polywantahcracker

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Highly detailed Anti Polygraph research

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X