Normal Topic Have to take my first polygraph... (Read 5533 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box shaskell
New User

Have to take my first polygraph...
Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:11am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I've recently been offered a position with pharmaceutical company. Imagine my surprise when I was told that they require a polygraph test as a condition of employment! 

I've never taken a polygraph before, so I'm a bit anxious for this. Does anyone have any idea what would be on this polygraph? Most people's polygraphs on this site seem to relate to law enforcement, so it's making me more anxious considering I don't know what to expect. I was told that confidentiality is a huge thing for them, so I'm assuming it will have a lot to do with that.

I have little to hide- I tried pot in college, and my mother used to give me her prescription anxiety medications if I had insomnia, or if we were flying. Those are the two things I'm worried about- drug use, and using meds that aren't prescribed to me (albeit given to me by my mother!). I've never stolen anything in my life, never been arrested, etc, so I should be pretty much okay.

Anyone have any idea what a polygraph for a pharmaceutical company would be like? Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: Have to take my first polygraph...
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:33am
shaskell

It is not legal for private companies to require pre-employment polygraphs. They can be heavily fined. EPPA cancelled polygraph requirements in the private sector. I believe a private company can only require a polygraph if that company is a subcontractor to a government entity that requires a security clearance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box shaskell
New User

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:39am
Actually, from the research I've done, if the company distributes controlled substances, they are permitted to conduct pre-employment polygraph tests. Unfortunately they are the exception to the rule.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 2:50am
shaskell

That is probably true. I forgot about controlled substances. Someone with first hand knowledge will have to address this.

Not knowing what goes on in a pre-employment polygraph these days, except what I read here, I'll bet the relivant questions aims at the drug issue.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 5:05pm
Shaskell:

Be careful of the arm chair lawyer's advise in this forum.  You seem like a  good candidiate for the job so you shouldn't worrry.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 5:25pm
shaskell

Be careful of polygoofer's "advice" in this forum.

retcopper

What statements made here do you consider worthy of "be careful consideration"?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:02am
retcopper wrote on Feb 13th, 2006 at 5:05pm:
Shaskell:

Be careful of the arm chair lawyer's advise in this forum.  You seem like a  good candidiate for the job so you shouldn't worrry.  

If the writer chooses to come to this message board for advice, isn't that his or her choice to make?  If a person wants the standard (but useless and deceiving) "tell the truth and everything will be fine" advice I'm sure they would go to PolygraphPlace.com, not AntiPolygraph.org.

And I am curious as to what part of their rather brief post caused you to conclude that they seem like a good candidate for a job they have not described in a company they have not named?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:33am
Sargeant

retcopper and nonombre are two of a kind. They ask questions, but never answer questions. They spurt their little zingers, tuck their tails between their legs and slink off. They don't debate because they don't have the ammunition. So don't expect anything of substance.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 5:38am
Twoblock wrote on Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:33am:
Sargeant

retcopper and nonombre are two of a kind. They ask questions, but never answer questions. They spurt their little zingers, tuck their tails between their legs and slink off. They don't debate because they don't have the ammunition. So don't expect anything of substance.

I disagree.  I believe I have had several "debates of substance" with Sergeant, EosJupiter, and several others on this website...

But you can call me names if you like.  I am used to that... Roll Eyes

Regards...

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:02am
Twoblock wrote on Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:33am:
Sargeant

TwoBlock,

Even though NoNombre is pro-polygraph, he has,  as of late been debating with substance and vigor. I have to respect that fact, and must support that position. As long as they post valid worthy discussion points then we at least have to listen and evaluate them honestly.

retcopper is just a hit and run poster like our other friendly neighborhood polygrapher Eastwood. I would be more inclined to say its retcopper and Eastwood (at this current point in time) as the more likely candidates.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:44am
Eosjupitor

A few week ago nonombre was asked some pointed questions and the last time I checked that thread, don't remember which one now, those questions had gone unanswered. I'll have to check but, i think Dr. Richardson ask him some questions that were never answered.

Nonombre did I call you a name in my above post? It doesn't appear that I did. Looks like I just made a statement.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:19am
I think the responsible advice is simply to say that the polygraph is a "procedure" without any scientific merit. THe people on this board are in large part, mightily against the polygraph because they have had careers ruined and been accused of all sorts of tings they didnt do. 

Its quite possible you may pass with flying colors, many people do. However, it is also quite likely that a high % of people also fail for a variety of reasons not related to lying.

Good luck with your test. I would hazard a guess that your poly will deal with your drug history since you will be around controlled substances.

IP Logged

Have to take my first polygraph...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X