Normal Topic a second chance (Read 2197 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mbmb
New User

a second chance
Jan 22nd, 2006 at 11:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
About 4 years ago, I was recruited by a defense contractor and given a CIA poly, which I failed due to admitting that I had concealed marijuana usage - on my form I had admitted to smoking 4 times, and in the polygraph, I admitted to smoking several more times.  Yes, I know, dumb, but I was young and naive.  The letter of rejection stated that this was the cause for my unsuitability.  It was devastating, and even moreso because, in the D.C. area, it seemed that I was turned away from job after job - even when people admitted that I was the only qualified applicant - because of this experience.  Since then, I have obtained a Master's Degree in Arabic Linguistics from Georgetown, and have obtained about 3 years of experience as a professional linguist, specializing in machine learning, translation, and localization.  I also speak Mandarin and Spanish, and I can read several other languages, including Farsi and Urdu.   

I do not have any pressing need to get a security clearance, or to have anything to do with the military or the intelligence community - I have a good job in the private sector now.  However, I keep reading articles about how people with my skillset are badly needed in our struggle against terrorism, and it feels bad to be on the sidelines.  Is there a chance in the distant future of recieving ANY kind of clearance at all, or should I give up the idea entirely?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NoName01
New User

Re: a second chance
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 7:17pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Sometimes, time will help clear your questionable past.  Had I tried to get a clearance immediately upon joining the Armed Forces, they would have laughed me out of the office.  However, after six years of serving in the Armed Forces prior to crossing over to a field that required a TS/SCI, the time I kept my nose clean seemed to diminish the damage from my less than brilliant teen years with offenses that included marijuana use and a minor in possession of alcohol.

IP Logged

a second chance

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X