Normal Topic enrolling in academy vs. getting hired by a PD (Read 2590 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box concernedapple
New User

enrolling in academy vs. getting hired by a PD
Jan 19th, 2006 at 10:24pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If I enrolled into a academy and pay for it myself will other departments be more willing to hire me? 

What are the benifits and disadvantages to this?

Considering i did not pass my last polygraph could enrolling into a academy help me get hired?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: enrolling in academy vs. getting hired by a PD
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:13am
Many small departments and recently some larger departments simply do not have the budget to place new recruits through the academy and rely on recruits having graduated from an academy in order to hire them.  While it may not necessarily help the fact that you failed a polygraph, it may help get you on a department much quicker.

Would I recommend doing it on your own?  Probably, it really would not hurt at all and would more than likely look very positive on an application.  You simply cannot have enough training and with budget cuts as they have been, departments are scrambling to find individuals with training.

Failing one poly is not the end of the world, just keep trying.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:22am
dimas wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:13am:
Many small departments and recently some larger departments simply do not have the budget to place new recruits through the academy and rely on recruits having graduated from an academy in order to hire them.  While it may not necessarily help the fact that you failed a polygraph, it may help get you on a department much quicker.

Would I recommend doing it on your own?  Probably, it really would not hurt at all and would more than likely look very positive on an application.  You simply cannot have enough training and with budget cuts as they have been, departments are scrambling to find individuals with training.

Failing one poly is not the end of the world, just keep trying.

While not small, we are a mid size Agency with a staff of 300+.  Completion of academy training is a leg up, whether sponsored by an Agency or done individually.  If that doesn't work, applying to a smaller Agency that is not as attractive will allow you to get your foot in the door.  You can build an experience record that the larger Agencies will certainly take into consideration.  And many of the smaller Agencies don't use the box.

I agree with your advice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:24am
Oh, and one more thing. at our Agency, everybody starts in the jail, is sent to jail school and around 1 yr of service, is sent to the Academy.  No one hires directly into a road position as of this writing. Of course, the applicant pool determines whether or not that remains etched in stone. Right now, that's the way it is

IP Logged

enrolling in academy vs. getting hired by a PD

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X