Normal Topic If i fail a poly will it be hard to get hired (Read 7309 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box concernedapple
New User

If i fail a poly will it be hard to get hired
Jan 19th, 2006 at 10:22pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently was accused of cheating on my last polygraph. It was the only one I have taken. I denied it the whole way because I was using mental countermeasures so there was no way for them to detect it.

Is my aspiration for law enforcement over now? Will departments not want to let me take another polygraph?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Re: If i fail a poly will it be hard to get hired
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:15am
concernedapple wrote on Jan 19th, 2006 at 10:22pm:
I recently was accused of cheating on my last polygraph... I denied it the whole way because I was using mental countermeasures so there was no way for them to detect it.

Seems to me they "detected it..."

Nonombre Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dash
New User

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:43am
concernedapple,

I was accused of the same thing eventhough I did not use any CM.  Naturally, the whole experience makes me  skeptical of a polygrapher's ability to detect it.   

If a Law Enforcement career is your dream, apply for other departments and do your best to make it a reality.  Some people fail polys at one dept/agency and then pass at another.  In my opinion, you have to be honest with yourself about fitting in with the LE organization's background requirements.  Keep on trying if you do...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 6:22am
Dash,

IF being in Law Enforcement is your dream, than continue to pursue it. Maybe applying to a PD in one of the states that has the smarts not to use polygraphs or even worse the CVSA.  Good luck in your job pursuits.

nonombre wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 2:15am:

Seems to me they "detected it..."

Nonombre Grin

NoNombre,

I give you credit, you have the ability to only show up when you see something obvious.  My how intuitive.
At a wake you would probably see the bad makeup on the corpse and point it out to the dead persons family. Dam you must be one fine polygrapher with that keen sense of timing. 

How about something original, from the point of opposing articles, original thoughts, or at least an opinion that shows there is more than just an opportunist in cheap clothing. From previous dealing you still have no stomach for indepth debates.  It would be refreshing once in a while.

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 6:33pm
EosJupiter wrote on Jan 20th, 2006 at 6:22am:
Dash,
NoNombre,

I give you credit, you have the ability to only show up when you see something obvious.  My how intuitive.
At a wake you would probably see the bad makeup on the corpse and point it out to the dead persons family. Dam you must be one fine polygrapher with that keen sense of timing....(you are) an opportunist in cheap clothing. From previous dealing you still have no stomach for indepth debates.  It would be refreshing once in a while.

Whoa there, Nellie.  Why are you calling me names?  I am starting to feel a little picked on here...Sad

All I was doing was pointing out how absolutely stupid this guy's posting was.  I mean, c'mon!  This person was clearly and correctly identified as attempting countermeasures, then proudly states he didn't admit to it because "polygraphers can't identify countermeasures."

Duuuuuuuuuuh!

Jeez, you guys really believe your own B.S., don't you?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 7:32pm
nonombre,

There are no journal articles or book chapters that explain how to detect polygraph countermeasures. Nor are there any published studies suggesting that polygraphers can detect them at better-than-chance levels of accuracy. I think it's clear that "countermeasure detection" is an exercise in guesswork. This is borne out by the fact that when polygraphers accuse a subject of attempted countermeasures, they generally decline to specify what, precisely, they think the subject was doing to influence the chart readings.

Even the broken clock is right twice a day, and it is not surprising that polygraphers' opinions that countermeasures have been employed are sometimes correct. To date, no polygrapher has demonstrated any ability to reliably detect countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 8:08pm
Nonombre,

It is specious reasoning on your part to use this case to show that polygraph examiners can detect countermeasures.  What is it about this case which lends it any more or less credibility than the many other reports of people who were accused of using countermeasures even though they weren’t?

If you are going to use this type of anecdotal evidence to prove your point it would only be fair to recognize similar reports in which the polygraph examiner falsely accused the test subject of using countermeasures.  I think we could come up with at least as many, if not more, reports of such false accusations as we could accurate ones.

It think it is far more likely that, as George has hypothesized, examiners routinely accuse subjects of using countermeasures on the assumption that they will be right at least part of the time. 

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 10:24pm
Quote:
nonombre,

There are no journal articles or book chapters that explain how to detect polygraph countermeasures.

Mr. Maschke,

But there are several courses available to polygraph examiners that do a very good job teaching polygraph examiners how to detect and counter physical and psychological countermeasures, including a 40 hour course at the federal polygraph school (classroom and lab) that is well established as the "Gold Standard."

So what exactly do you think these people do for a full week?  Sit around, throw darts at your picture, and discuss how to accuse everybody of countermeasures until somebody confesses?

Hmmm?

Nonombre 8)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 11:16pm
Nonombre,

The federal polygraph school to which you refer is the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (DoDPI). This august institution purports to teach students in 14 short weeks how to detect deception. But in truth, graduates can no more detect deception than tarot card readers can tell fortunes. Why should anyone believe that graduates of DoDPI's 40-hour countermeasure (one week) course are, in fact, capable of detecting countermeasures?

By the way, DoDPI's countermeasure course is restricted to "federally certified PDD personnel." In 2005, you represented yourself as a "brand new police polygraph examiner." What would you know about what is taught in DoDPI's 40-hour countermeasure course?
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2006 at 11:40pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 12:04am
nonombre wrote on Jan 21st, 2006 at 6:33pm:

Whoa there, Nellie.  Why are you calling me names?  I am starting to feel a little picked on here...Sad

All I was doing was pointing out how absolutely stupid this guy's posting was.  I mean, c'mon!  This person was clearly and correctly identified as attempting countermeasures, then proudly states he didn't admit to it because "polygraphers can't identify countermeasures."

Duuuuuuuuuuh!

Jeez, you guys really believe your own B.S., don't you?

NoNombre, 

I call them as I see them. And again I don't sit on fences waiting for something to happen and yell, see see see, the sky is falling.

As far as the DODPI, countermeasures course  .... Hmm lets see. A course from a very questionable and unaccredited school, DOD schools though efficient at putting military MOS training out, are not the toughest and most are only marginally recognized by real accreditation counsels., the exception to this being DLI, the Intel Schools, Military Medical training, there are others, but they are few and far between. DODPI's acceditation,  ACICS is a trade school certification organization,  And let me see, you folks consider yourself professionals. Professionals usually means accredited and valid certifications. Now some of you have real undergraduate degrees from real universities and colleges. THose I consider valid.  but in no shape or manner is ACICS worth squat. The only reason you have that at all is any real research institutions or schools,  wouldn't touch DODPI with a 10 ft pole. 

ACICS school list link: 
http://www.acics.org/accredited/documents/institutionsbyprograms2005_000.pdf

See if you can find a top notch research institution in this list. Not even a tier III school. But they do accredit beauty schools. 

Try all the countermeasure detection training you like, its not possible to those who know / practice  countermeasures cold. And by the way, if countermeasures are not valid or worth the time, then why would DODPI have a course in detecting them. Seems to me DODPI has endorsed (indirectly) that countermeasures work, and they are worried. And tacitly validates this website. 

Another example is California Polygraph association meetings schedule link:

http://www.californiapolygraph.com/training/033006conference.htm

The one that is most hilarious is: 

Saturday, October 15, 2005 
0730–0745     Late Registration 
0800-1200     A Fresh Look at Dealing with CM’S
                     Jim Wygant

What are they going to do sit around and gripe there little sham is completely blown. 

At least this time you actually had original verbage and thoughts. Much better than the random, I told you so !!

George:  Touche'

« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2006 at 4:16am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 6:36pm
Nonombre,

You're so adept at avoiding the valid points and credible questions from posters and lurking around the site, until you see the smallest opportunity to advocate your sham of a career. As I said in a previous post, I knew you'd be back when you saw the timing was right for your agenda.

I've asked you and other examiners this question before and as I'm sure as before it will go unanswered, but here goes again: IF POLYGRAPH EXAMINERS CAN DETECT COUNTERMEASURES, THEN WHY DO THEY ACCUSE EXAMINEES OF USING THEM WHO ARE UNAWARE OF THEIR EXISTENCE?   

P.S. Perhaps, you'd feel a lot less "picked on" if you weren't constantly letting your mouth write a check that your a$$ can't cash.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #11 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 3:43am
Poly,

Again we give NoNombre the opportunity to defend his position. Again he remains silent.  Notice a pattern here.

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 6:51am
Eos,

Exactly. No name jumps out of the frying pan when things get too hot for him to handle.

IP Logged

If i fail a poly will it be hard to get hired

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X