Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I have to take a Voice Stress Test (Read 26794 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box angel52392003
New User

I have to take a Voice Stress Test
Jan 18th, 2006 at 9:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Can anyone help me I have to take a Voice Stress Test and am very nervous about it.   I am naturally a very stressed person I am on anxiety pills for nervousness  They tell me that it wont effect my test.  How true is this??   
Also does anyone have any tips on helping me reduce my stress so that I could pass it??
Anything would be great.  I dont want to be marked a liar. ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: I have to take a Voice Stress Test
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 9:52pm
Voice stress analysis is a fraud. These "tests" detect neither stress nor deception. Like the polygraph, voice stress analyzers are little more than an interrogator's prop.

I'm not aware of anything you can do to directly influence the outcome of a voice stress analysis "test." However, the behavioral countermeasures suggested for polygraph examinations in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector may be helpful.

Why do you have to submit to this procedure? If there is any way to avoid it, you should.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 12:14am
The reason I have to take the test is,   I started working at a convience store and on my first day there a girl came up 200.00 short on her drops that she left out.  I had nothing to do with this but I have already been talked to by the police and they said the next step is a Voice Stress Analysis which scares me, because just talking to the police the other day made me so nervous that if i would have been taking a test I would have failed it.   
I do not want this on me.  For once I didnt do something and could get blamed for it that isnt fair

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2006 at 3:40pm
The police cannot legally compel you to submit to their bogus "test." It's only "the next step" if you allow it to be, and you would be wise to refuse. Moreover, under the Employee Polygraph Protection Act, your employer may not retaliate against you in any way for refusing to submit to any kind of lie detector test.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 3:15am
Our Agency takes the position that they can require us to submit to a polygraph.  And of course, the PPA doesn't apply to law enforcement agencies.

Here's how it's done.  In an internal investigation, you are read and acknowledge your rights and responsibilites under Garrity.  Something like this "we are conducting an internal investigation to determine your fitness to continue in your position.  you are required to comply with any and all requests made of you by competent authority to include, but not be limited to, examination polygraph yada yada yada.  This is not a criminal investigation and any information gathered cannot be used against you in a subsequent criminal proceeding"  If you refuse to comply with an order to take a polygraph, you are fired for refusing an order.  Has been consistently upheld at least at the Superior Court level.  Not sure of Fed and/or State Appellate Courts

Of note is the fact that you are NOT Mirandized. You are "Garrityied"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 3:18am
Quote:
The police cannot legally compel you to submit to their bogus "test." It's only "the next step" if you allow it to be, and you would be wise to refuse. Moreover, under the Employee Polygraph Protection Act, your employer may not retaliate against you in any way for refusing to submit to any kind of lie detector test.

George,

They sure can't.  But they do, and routinely retaliate.  They just call it something else

Regards

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 6:03am
Just for a little more information I do not work at that job anymore I only worked there for 2 weeks all of this happend on my first day there and since I happend to have worked that day of course I had to get questioned by the police.  I even offered since it happend on my shift I said i would take care of it.  But they said no well at least the assistant manager did.    I have been told by several people to refuse but I am afraid that if i refuse they will assume I am guilty,  but what if I fail then I am going to be assumed guilty.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:14am
Dippityshurff,

Unfortunately, the Employee Polygraph Employment Act of 1988 excludes federal, state, and local government employees from its protections. AntiPolygraph.org supports passage of a Comprehensive Employee Polygraph Protection Act that would close this loophole.

angel52392003,

Do I understand you correctly that you offered to cover the missing $200 for your former employer? If so, that was a mistake, as such an offer would raise the suspicions of any investigator. You don't need to worry about "looking guilty." You already do.

Those who have told you to refuse the CVSA have given you good advice. Passing this bogus "test" won't clear you as a suspect, but "failing" will only deepen suspicions and lead to a potentially harsh interrogation without a lawyer present.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #8 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 6:07pm
Angel

Listen to George. DON'T TAKE IT. Failing the test will do you more harm than telling them where to put their idiot device. If they had evidence against you, they wouldn't be asking you to take the test. Tell them to charge you with a crime or leave you alone. If they don't, then get a lawyer and sue them. Retract your offer to take care of the loss and let them know that you will fight them at what ever level they wish to take.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:23pm
So I should tell the police officer that I refuse to take the test even after I done said I would and when they ask me why what should I say is my reason..  The only reason I offered to pay it is because I have worked at a convience store in the past and everywhere i have worked they said if money comes up missing then it is your responsibility if it is on your shift.  But my boss said when it come up missing he had on tape the other girl messing with the safedrops and then going over and getting her purse and then messing with the drops again.  He said I had nothing to worry about.. So now why are they wanting me to take it..  I am so nervous.  All of everyones help is wonderful.  
I also wonder if the laws are different in Arkansas than in other states regarding refusing to take a Voice stress analysis

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:36pm
Angel,

You can explain to the police that you've learned that CVSA "testing" is completely without scientific basis, and that you are not about to have your honesty and integrity judged on the basis of such pseudoscientific nonsense. Feel free to refer them to AntiPolygraph.org, and to me personally.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2006 at 9:42pm
Angel,

Also note that in none of the 50 United States can a person be forced to submit to any kind of lie detector "test" in a criminal investigation, and in none of them is a person's refusal to submit to such nonsense admissible as evidence in a court of law.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 3:21am
OK i will tell them that.. THey are suppose to call me sometime with a day and time to take the test and I was gonna have to miss school and everything to take it.  When they call i will tell them exactly what has been referred to me and I will give them this website and your name.   
If you can think of anymore informatioon that would be helpful to me, PLEASE let me know.. Thank you so much..
Angel

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #13 - Jan 22nd, 2006 at 2:18pm
angel

Keep notes of your conversations (direct quotes,etc.) with the police and company personel. Date and time. Detailed notes are very important if one has to go to court.

I didn't know Arkansas employed the CVSA. I thought they were strictly polygraph. Doesn't supprise though. A lot of people there believe in magic.

You can email me from this website any time. I might be able to help you find a pro bono lawyer if needed. Arkansas is my home state. Haven't lived there since college but visit often.

Let us know the outcome.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 4:41pm
just wanted to let everyone know that they still havent called me yet and they acted like they were in such a big hurry.

IP Logged

I have to take a Voice Stress Test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X