Normal Topic hopeful but doubtful....? (Read 2950 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cavhan7
New User

hopeful but doubtful....?
Jan 17th, 2006 at 8:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
so i m sorry that you guys have to read this kind of a post again. I m pretty sure its been covered a thousand times but i m going to post it because i m wondering if its worth it.

i m a senior in high school and i m 17. so far my drug usage goes as far as marijuana from 20-30 times, ecsstasy once, and 2 lines of cocaine while intoxicated. If i stay clean from now through graduation of college with sufficient grades (3.5-4.0) Would i be able to get in to a police department? I m talking about the bigger PDs. As in New York, LA, or Chicago.... I would like to become a detective. I have proved myself through grades but my drug backround does not seem good enough. Let me know so that i could determine if its worth staying sober and clean throughout college. Thank You.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyrized
User

Re: hopeful but doubtful....?
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2006 at 9:43pm
If you stay clean and get that kind of GPA, you will have many options to choose from.  It is 'worth staying clean and sober' for a LOT of reasons.  Getting into a PD as a detective is the least of them.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 2:07am
cavhan7,

The disqualification for drug usage is completely dependant on the policies of the agency, therefore, it varies from agency to agency.   

Some agencies have begun to be a bit more lax on the past drug usuage information of candidates, due in large part to the high usage of drug experimentation among young people during the last 10 years.   Unless you plan on working in Arizona or for the DEA or FBI, the Marijuana usage more than likely will not disqualify you, nor will the cocaine, some departments, however, are very picky about the use of ecstasy.

Your best bet is to stay the HELL away from any more drugs, go to school and get your degree.  At 17 you are quite young and may find out at 23 that you really don't want to be a cop anyway, but if you feel you still do, then at least 5 years of being clean is an excellent way to start applying.

As far as if it is worth it to stay clean and sober through college, even if you don't plan on becoming a cop in the future, an arrest for possesion or DWI can also greatly affect your chances of getting hired in the private sector.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 2:55am
dimas wrote on Jan 18th, 2006 at 2:07am:
cavhan7,

The disqualification for drug usage is completely dependant on the policies of the agency, therefore, it varies from agency to agency.   

Some agencies have begun to be a bit more lax on the past drug usuage information of candidates, due in large part to the high usage of drug experimentation among young people during the last 10 years.   Unless you plan on working in Arizona or for the DEA or FBI, the Marijuana usage more than likely will not disqualify you, nor will the cocaine, some departments, however, are very picky about the use of ecstasy.

Your best bet is to stay the HELL away from any more drugs, go to school and get your degree.  At 17 you are quite young and may find out at 23 that you really don't want to be a cop anyway, but if you feel you still do, then at least 5 years of being clean is an excellent way to start applying.

As far as if it is worth it to stay clean and sober through college, even if you don't plan on becoming a cop in the future, an arrest for possesion or DWI can also greatly affect your chances of getting hired in the private sector.

that is outstanding advice.  As far as drug usage goes, our Agency and most of the Agencies in GA will forgive recreational marijuana usage, as long as it has some seasoning (aged a bit).  By State law, we forgive no other drug usage, no matter the time frame.  Without a doubt, there are some people who made that stupid choice early on and have learned from that stupid choice.  And, they would probably make excellent Police Officers.  It makes no difference. It may some day, but not with the current state of our law.

IP Logged

hopeful but doubtful....?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X