Normal Topic fMRI testing may trump polygraphs (Read 4869 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wayhigh
New User

fMRI testing may trump polygraphs
Mar 25th, 2005 at 1:42am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
http://www.livescience.com/041129_lie_detection.html

Apparently, fMRI's have recently been found by real scientists to show more areas of the brain are active during lies and deception than are active when a person is telling the truth.

What's that? Do I hear a knell for polygraphs?

Smiley
WH

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

Re: fMRI testing may trump polygraphs
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 5:36am
This week, Wired magazine is coming out with an article, "Don't Even Think About Lying" regarding fMRI's.  http://www.wired.com/wired/

However, after my polygraph experience, I'm not sure I want to trust any lie detection machine.   Previous to my polygraph, I did believe that the polygraph was scientifically valid.  Anyhow, lets keep our eyes open.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 5:06am
wayhigh wrote on Mar 25th, 2005 at 1:42am:
http://www.livescience.com/041129_lie_detection.html

Apparently, fMRI's have recently been found by real scientists to show more areas of the brain are active during lies and deception than are active when a person is telling the truth.

What's that? Do I hear a knell for polygraphs?

Smiley
WH

If I recall correctly, the work by Bill Richardson and others has shown that brain activity can indicate recognition, but not lying per se.

So, someone could show you a picture of the Antipolygraph.org web page and determine whether you'd seen it or something like it before.  But they wouldn't be able to ask you whether or not you'd taken drugs in the last five years, and tell whether or not you're telling the truth.

Can anyone elaborate?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 8:14pm
Yes, the article came out.  Very informative. Here's the link:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.01/lying.html

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 8:16pm
Here's an excerpt:

"The need for a better way to assess credibility was underscored by a 2002 report, The Polygraph and Lie Detection, by the National Research Council. After analyzing decades of polygraph use by the Pentagon and the FBI, the council concluded that the device was still too unreliable to be used for personnel screening at national labs. Stephen Fienberg, the scientist who led the evaluation committee, warned: "Either too many loyal employees may be falsely judged as deceptive, or too many major security threats could go undetected. National security is too important to be left to such a blunt instrument." The committee recommended the vigorous pursuit of other methods of lie detection, including fMRI. "

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 8:27pm
I wonder if we take fMRI's and are found to be truthful, if we can get some type of recompensation.  I know it doesn't sound too friendly, but I really hated getting accused of lying.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 5:19am
Just a correction: the above should be Drew Richardson, not Bill Richardson.  Formerly of the FBI.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s
New User

Reply #7 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 6:54am

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2006 at 8:15pm
The idea of a MRI accurately detecting deception, I find rather bizarre. Also, has there been research to determine the long term effect ,on one's mental health, of being in the tube for an hour or so in such a magnetic field? How about the required injection? Cruel and unusual punishment lawsuits? Probably. The cost? Unbearable. Only our tax supported institutions could afford it. Running our deficit higher? For sure. How much of our tax money has gone to private companies for R and D on this "fantastic" device? We'll never know. What a gravey train. They make money on R and D and then on the sale of the machine to our government agencies. All funded by our taxes. Think our congress is corrupt? I surely do.

In reality, where is the proof that brain activity distinguishes between truth or lies? I don't think there is any just like BP, heart rate and sweating is no solid proof that the hokygraph can detect lies.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 3:04am
TwoBlock,

What I want to see is how they are going to minaturize the MRI down to being as portable as a polygraph. I did the reading and research today, just to add to this thread, on size, space, power, and mobility requirements needed to use an MRI.  Lets just say that the only way they will implement this is they will have to have a semi or a fairly large office space, just to implement it. Power requirements alone are huge, your not going to get that level of  power off of a 110V service. This whole thought of an MRI as a lie detector is great fodder for research, but lacks any chance of implementation do to physical and technology constraints.  Besides I am sure the polygraph folks will also take a stand against this device just as it does with the CVSA. The articles are good reads, but again I believe they are fantasy.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 5:38am
EosJupitor

Based on the reasons we both have posted plus many more, I don't think this thing will ever happen. My big concern is that, I bet, the R and D for this device was, in whole or in part, funded by government grants. If so, it makes about as much sense as a grant to study the sex habits of pissants. 

The hardest thing that I have ever tried to do is to arouse people's ire at government waste and get them to help me do something about it. All agree that something should be done but, they had rather go to the bar for a beer than to write to their elected officials. If our congress received enough mail that says "rectify the corruption in Wash. D.C. or we will bring you home", then paying for that beer would be easier.

IP Logged

fMRI testing may trump polygraphs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X