Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) cancelled FBI backgound Investigation (Read 10641 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rochetag
New User

cancelled FBI backgound Investigation
Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I figure I will give this a shot. I was accepted for a job with the FBI and went through my interview and PSI/drug test and everything was fine. After the PSI, I faxed over some more information to the agent in regards to my misdemeanor that was 14 years ago as well as some traffic violations(my youth was not very good). They completed my background as far as I knew in August and then the agent called me in October for some more questions. I did not hear from anyone since then. Yesterday I called my POC and she told me my clearance and background were denied in August. No letter received to this date. I have had problems such as not being entered into the database and misplaced paperwork. I don't know where to turn or what to do. My POC said it was strange not to receive a letter, but she would send another out to me. Can I appeal the decision? Has anyone gone through this before? I love the job and the organization but I think I fell through the cracks. I called the agent several times and never received a call back. Do I need an attorney for the appeal? I have never gone through this before. ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: cancelled FBI backgound Investigation
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 5:11am
rochetag wrote on Jan 13th, 2006 at 7:30am:
I figure I will give this a shot. I was accepted for a job with the FBI and went through my interview and PSI/drug test and everything was fine. After the PSI, I faxed over some more information to the agent in regards to my misdemeanor that was 14 years ago as well as some traffic violations(my youth was not very good). They completed my background as far as I knew in August and then the agent called me in October for some more questions. I did not hear from anyone since then. Yesterday I called my POC and she told me my clearance and background were denied in August. No letter received to this date. I have had problems such as not being entered into the database and misplaced paperwork. I don't know where to turn or what to do. My POC said it was strange not to receive a letter, but she would send another out to me. Can I appeal the decision? Has anyone gone through this before? I love the job and the organization but I think I fell through the cracks. I called the agent several times and never received a call back. Do I need an attorney for the appeal? I have never gone through this before. ???

rochetag,

Did you pass the poly and where did that fit into the equation? How did you know when they completed your background investigation? Are you sure your BI was started? The security form states that if questions regarding your statements arise, the applicant will be given the opportunity to address them and it will become part of the official record. Read your application packet--it should be the first or second page that you signed.  Is it possible that's the reason the agent called with the additional questions? Perhaps, someone who has gone through a similiar experience or with some  additional knowledge can provide some insight?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 5:36am
No, I never got as far as the polygraph. The point-of-contact stated that the background was completed. I know that they went pretty far because alot of people called me after they were contacted with surprise. The investigators even told a few that I already had the job, but this(BI) was just a formality. There were a few questions that came up during my PSI, which was because the investigators made notes on locations dates or names. My impression was they just wanted verification. Then in October I get another call which asked a couple of other questions, but ones that I already addressed earlier.
I was suppose to start work this February and the only reason I called was I wanted to find out how much longer it would be, that is when I was told that I was finished.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 5:55am
rochetag wrote on Jan 14th, 2006 at 5:36am:
No, I never got as far as the polygraph. The point-of-contact stated that the background was completed. I know that they went pretty far because alot of people called me after they were contacted with surprise. The investigators even told a few that I already had the job, but this(BI) was just a formality. There were a few questions that came up during my PSI, which was because the investigators made notes on locations dates or names. My impression was they just wanted verification. Then in October I get another call which asked a couple of other questions, but ones that I already addressed earlier.
I was suppose to start work this February and the only reason I called was I wanted to find out how much longer it would be, that is when I was told that I was finished.

rochetag,
It appears that your processing went out of order because your polygraph should have been conducted prior to the initiation of your background investigation. Wasn't your POC baffled by this? It is certainly not typical and rarely done. Others on this board can attest to this. Did you actually receive a start date and if so, how did you receive it without taking the poly? Did you reach adjuducation? Did your POC tell you why the clearance was denied? I don't know what to tell you , but the fact that investigators made notes and you were contacted with questions doesn't sound good--sounds like they may have found some inconsistencies or had some concerns? Your case is definitely puzzling? Perhaps, someone else could offer some insight to what may have occurred in your case and   a possible recourse?    

Request your files through FOIPA. They could provide the answers you're looking for.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 7:08am
rochetag,

I am not too familiar with the FBI process but from reading a lot of the posting in this website, you don't get into the FBI without taking a polygraph examination; there is no way around it. Another point, investigators have no knowledge about start dates or can make any decisions  in the hiring process. They collect information on you and sumit them to the agency. A lot of what you saying here is out of place and perhaps George is better familiar with the FIB process. BI completed without polygraph???? Investigators telling people you got the job?????

Opp

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Jan 14th, 2006 at 7:29am
Well now that throws me for a loop. 
The situation was that I applied for this job, then my status changed as qualified and then referred to hiring official. A week later I get a call from HQ to come in for an interview(June 7th). I meet the mangers and was told that the background will start when my forms are sent to them. A week later then I receive the job offer contingent on the background(June 17th). After a month I get a call to come in for my security interview and drug testing(July 27th) I waited 3 hours before being told the agent who was going to conduct the interview was no longer my point-of-contact. A upervisor got upset and grabbed the first agent he could to get me through and apologized numerous times. Two weeks later I called the person who did my drug testing because she stated she was now the point-of-contact. She said it was a good thing I called because she had not put me in the system yet(August 12th). Two weeks later I get a call from HQ that my status had changed from alternate to the regular status(August 24th). In October I get a call from the agent who did my security interview and asked a couple of questions about my credit record. After that I did not hear anything until I sent an email to the original contact on the vacancy announcement and she said that I was denied in August. So I then called the woman who did my drug testing and she verified the information and she was confused as to why I did not receive a letter. The system stated no letter went out but she said something about my misdemeanor and new information being found. I can accurately state no new information was found because I provided copies  of all county records regarding the misdemeanor to the agent after my secuirty interview. He asked why I didn't bring those in with me and I stated that I was told not to bring anything with me, he then stated to fax the information to him when I can. I have copies of the fax record to proves it, but I hope it doesn't come down to that. 
As far as the start date, I was told it was scheduled to begin in February by the manager who interviewed me originally. I hope this info helps.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:08am
rochetag wrote on Jan 14th, 2006 at 7:29am:
Well now that throws me for a loop. 
The situation was that I applied for this job, then my status changed as qualified and then referred to hiring official. A week later I get a call from HQ to come in for an interview(June 7th). I meet the mangers and was told that the background will start when my forms are sent to them. A week later then I receive the job offer contingent on the background(June 17th). After a month I get a call to come in for my security interview and drug testing(July 27th) I waited 3 hours before being told the agent who was going to conduct the interview was no longer my point-of-contact. A upervisor got upset and grabbed the first agent he could to get me through and apologized numerous times. Two weeks later I called the person who did my drug testing because she stated she was now the point-of-contact. She said it was a good thing I called because she had not put me in the system yet(August 12th). Two weeks later I get a call from HQ that my status had changed from alternate to the regular status(August 24th). In October I get a call from the agent who did my security interview and asked a couple of questions about my credit record. After that I did not hear anything until I sent an email to the original contact on the vacancy announcement and she said that I was denied in August. So I then called the woman who did my drug testing and she verified the information and she was confused as to why I did not receive a letter. The system stated no letter went out but she said something about my misdemeanor and new information being found. I can accurately state no new information was found because I provided copies  of all county records regarding the misdemeanor to the agent after my secuirty interview. He asked why I didn't bring those in with me and I stated that I was told not to bring anything with me, he then stated to fax the information to him when I can. I have copies of the fax record to proves it, but I hope it doesn't come down to that. 
As far as the start date, I was told it was scheduled to begin in February by the manager who interviewed me originally. I hope this info helps.

rochetag,

It sounds like the agency halted your processing after finding a discrepancy or something that would disqualify you from working there. Your poly would have come after the PSI/fingerprints/drug test. Sounds like your BI got started early before the agency could schedule a poly. Keep in mind, the person you talked with on the phone may not have known exactly why you were D'qd because the records may not have been accessible at that time. Employees are able to access the system and locate your status, but as far as details--they may not be processed yet to provide them and you with the answers you  seek. An employee I spoke w/ by phone began giving me the status of another applicant because we had the same first name, perhaps, last? I questioned her because she told me I hadn't been polygraphed because I admitted to lying during the pre-interview. I protested and told her I was hooked up and poly'd. She asked if ---was my middle name and I responded,  "no." She was then able to locate my status in the system and relay the info. to me. My appl. coord. couldn't provide me with details regarding my situation.   

You should request your files through FOIPA. The agency has to provide you with all information it deems releasable and you may find out what happened. My advice to you would be to go to the FBI's website, download the FOIPA form, fill it out and fax it to the agency requesting your file as soon as possible. It could take months to get your file, so you may not want to wait around. The FBI hiring process can be very scattered with different offices  handling different aspects. Don't even attempt to make sense of it. Just a total guess here, but based on the agent asking questions about your credit, that sounds like where the problem may have been. At the very least, you can be glad you didn't foolishly submit to their useless, stupid polygraph process. Good luck and I hope you are able to resolve the issue. 

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:24am by polyfool »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:33am
rochetag,

Sorry, I just re-read your post and realized something. Did you fully disclose your misdemeanor and the full details on your security form BEFORE your PSI. This is very important because any amendments made or additional info. is noted in the PSI report and the agent lists the reasons for the changes. If you did not disclose your record before the PSI, you were likely deemed to have withheld info. I don't know how the FBI handles misdemeanors, but for an agency that requires applicants to disclose traffic tickets, I would guess, such a charge and/or conviction would not be looked upon favorably. 
Best of luck to you.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:35am
I appreciate your response and candor, as I know that every agency does things a little different. I was hoping that they mixed me up with someone else, as when I did a name search, numerous people with the same name popped up. Boy, identity theft anyone.  Anyways I filled out the form the other day for the FOIA and then I sent an email to the point-of-contact asking how long it would be to receive the letter that states the reason why I was denied. My attorney already has filed suit against the creditor for the misinformation and the credit bureau for their violation in this matter. The other problems that I had with my credit report were deleted(I know after the fact), but this was added to my file in November. Maybe I was a day late and a dollar short. I will not give up on this as I have worked very hard to clear my name and form a good character. I guess only time will tell.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:39am
I just saw you posted while I was writing. Yes, the information was provided on my background form. As I know that withholding information could look like you were trying to hide it. I made sure that all was included, the only thing that I did not provide were the records or the copies of the records that verify everything. I obtained all this information to try and help with the investigation. Maybe I hampered it instead. Hmmm?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:42am
rochetag,

It definitely sounds like a credit problem. Too bad you didn't get things cleared up before you applied with the agency. I'm sure you'll get things straightened out and move on. Again, be glad you were cut loose before submitting to the poly and that you know about this site.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 12:53am
I just double checked myself by checking my background questionnare and I had to list in the continuation part about the misdemeanor. So that was listed. I hope it does not have to do with my credit as when I spoke to the woman she mentioned it had to do with the misdemeanor and the criminal record. This is what really baffles me because when I checked the disqualifiers, this misdemeanor is not listed. Realistically speaking, I was charged with joyriding on an ATV, but it went under a misdemeanor. I can only hope that it was something simple because I don't really qualify for anything else with only having an AAS in Criminal Justice and a certificate in Terrorism and National Security Management.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 3:37am
Ok, now I have a really stupid question; just because I have never been through anything like this before and I am not sure what the policy and procedure are. If I find that when I receive the letter explaining the reason why and I appeal the decision, am I barred from seeking other employment within the same organization or can I apply for another job at another location? I guess that what I am looking for is a second chance to redeem myself but maybe in another field.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2006 at 11:24pm
Well, I found out that my persistence with inquiries has paid off. I made another phone call and received a call back that somehow there had been a mistake made in my processing. I was told that my application, background has not been cancelled and that I will be receiving a call for my polygraph shortly. This was a big hurdle to overcome especially when I knew that I did everything that I could, something just did not add up. I hope this never happens to anyone because when you know that you were honest about everything up front, it is a severe blow. If it does, make inquiries, even to those not involved drectly in the process. Grin

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Jan 19th, 2006 at 4:48am
rochetag wrote on Jan 18th, 2006 at 11:24pm:
Well, I found out that my persistence with inquiries has paid off. I made another phone call and received a call back that somehow there had been a mistake made in my processing. I was told that my application, background has not been cancelled and that I will be receiving a call for my polygraph shortly. This was a big hurdle to overcome especially when I knew that I did everything that I could, something just did not add up. I hope this never happens to anyone because when you know that you were honest about everything up front, it is a severe blow. If it does, make inquiries, even to those not involved drectly in the process. Grin

rochetag,
Glad to hear that you got things straightened out. Keep in mind as you agree to submit to a poly that it's a severe blow to tell the truth during one, fail and be subjected to mental abuse by a polygraph examiner. Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you submit to one. The results will never be erased from your permanent FBI file. Failures will follow you and limit future career choices.  Good luck.

IP Logged

cancelled FBI backgound Investigation

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X