Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Did Virginia execute an innocent man? (Read 16664 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nolehce
User

Did Virginia execute an innocent man?
Jan 3rd, 2006 at 8:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/03/execution.dna.ap/index.html

Note this line thrown in as the second to last paragraph, as if an afterthought:

Coleman also failed a lie detector test hours before his execution.

Faced with impending execution, and with my life depending on someone else's interpretation of some squiggly lines, I'd probably "fail" a "lie detector test" as well.

I am really disappointed to see CNN failing to challenge the legitimacy of polygraphs in their article.

The state that Coleman "failed," the "test" as if that somehow conclusively proves his guilt.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Did Virginia execute an innocent man?
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 9:00am
It is indeed disconcerting that one of the prosecutors in this case seemingly points to Coleman's polygraph results as evidence of guilt. Polygraphy has no scientific basis to begin with. Moreover, as you alluded to, it is hardly surprising that anyone whose life or imminent death hinged upon his being believed or disbelieved when answering relevant questions about a crime for which he has been convicted might react more strongly to them than to such commonly used probable-lie "control" questions as, "Before (date of crime), did you ever intentionally hurt someone?"

Note that although this article was posted on the CNN website, it's actually an Associated Press article, and as such was carried by countless news agencies across the country.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 4:47am
nolehce wrote on Jan 3rd, 2006 at 8:49pm:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/01/03/execution.dna.ap/index.html

Note this line thrown in as the second to last paragraph, as if an afterthought:

Coleman also failed a lie detector test hours before his execution.

Faced with impending execution, and with my life depending on someone else's interpretation of some squiggly lines, I'd probably "fail" a "lie detector test" as well.

I am really disappointed to see CNN failing to challenge the legitimacy of polygraphs in their article.

The state that Coleman "failed," the "test" as if that somehow conclusively proves his guilt.

Allegedliar,

I agree. It's no wonder Coleman failed his polygraph on the morning of his execution as he had a lot riding on its outcome--his life literally depended on it. Virginia's then-governor ordered the test in an effort to help him decide whether to stay Coleman's execution.   

The reason you won't see the Associated Press question the legitimacy of the polygraph is because the media views polygraph testing much the way law enforcement does. Therefore, it doesn't see anything to question.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 8:14pm
Virginia Governor Mark Warner orders additional DNA testing in an effort to determine whether the state executed an innocent man in 1992. If the results show that Roger Keith Coleman did not rape and kill his 19 year-old sister-in-law Wanda McCoy in 1981, it will be the first time in the United States  that an executed person is cleared through scientific testing. 

Coleman was convicted of first degree murder and rape in Grundy in 1982, but maintained his innocence until his death. His case attracted widespread media attention as he pleaded his innocence on talk shows, newspapers and magazines. Then-Governor Douglas Wilder ordered a polygraph test on the morning of Coleman's execution with a promise of granting clemency if he passed. Coleman failed the test and was electrocuted May 20, 1992. If he is proven innocent through advanced DNA testing techniques that weren't available in the 1980's, it could have far-reaching implications for the death penalty, not only in Virginia, but across the country. 

Warner says he hopes the independent testing concludes in time for him to publicly announce the results before he leaves office January 14, 2006.        

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 11:26pm
Poly,

What is also interesting to note, is that if he was executed wrongly by the state of Virginia, then the polygraph examiner is also guilty of duplicity & contributing to the death of an innocent person, because he falsely read the charts that lead to his death. At a minimum under the law he is an accessory to the wrongful death. And guess what thats a felony. Oh this is going to be so much fun watching this work its way out. So to the polygraphers that read this: If he is found innocent then , besides just destroying peoples reputation, you now help people get killed.  

Regards  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 11:38pm
EosJupiter,

If Coleman were to be ultimately exonerated by DNA evidence, I can see how the polygrapher who "tested" him hours before his scheduled execution might be considered an "accessory" to his death within the common meaning of the word. But, assuming there was no conscious misconduct on the part of the polygraph operator (and to my knowledge, no one is asserting that there was), I'm skeptical that his/her obtaining an erroneous result could be construed as a violation of the law, let alone a felony.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 1:24am
Quote:
I'm skeptical that his/her obtaining an erroneous result could be construed as a violation of the law, let alone a felony.

George,

I didn't say there misconduct, what I am saying is that the way the law works, and it applys to doctors with malpractice too, is that if the process or procedure contributes to the death of a person, there are both civil and criminal rules involved, and remedies to address those issues. And just by the nature of that type of polygaph interrogation, (and I can't ever be sure), the polygrapher could not have been unbiased as they claim they are. But again we weren't there, but my gut instinct tells me that it wasn't even close to being impartial. That guy was going to fry no matter the outcome. The poly was just an insurance policy for the State of Virginia to say, see he failed ... now lets kill him.
But this is only true if the DNA testing exonerates him. Otherwise then they did in a murderer. And with this I have no problem. 

Regards

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 1:55am
EosJupiter,

I agree with George in that it would seem highly unlikley that any one person or persons would be held criminally responsible for Coleman's death in the event that he's exonerated. It was a state sanctioned death sentence. That doesn't mean that a whole lot of people wouldn't have blood on their hands and have to live with it if indeed, they sent an innocent man to the electric chair. 

Personally, I always believed Coleman to be guilty of the crimes because of the DNA testing. But then again, I also naively believed in the polygraph, too.  Coleman's case is definitely interesting and complicated--his lawyers missed an appeal deadline by one day, but there was some confusion about  the deadline, another man reportedly bragged about committing the crime and it seems there may have been some question about whether Coleman had time to commit the crimes because of his alibi. Another interesting fact is that the DNA testing at the time was only able to place Coleman in 2 percent of the male caucasion and african american populations who could have left physical evidence on the victim. Those numbers are nothing like the testing today, which usually can difinitively determine whether DNA belongs to a suspect.   

Coleman appeared on Time magazine the day before his execution and his case is the subject of a 1997 book written by John Tucker called, "May God Have Mercy." His last words before he was executed were something to the effect that when his innocence is proven, he hopes the U.S. will get rid of the death penalty as other civilized countries have. I personally have always believed in the death penalty, but if Coleman is proven innocent, I'll have serious issues with it. Executing one innocent person is one too many. There was another Virgina case a couple of years ago--Earl Washington, I believe is his name, came within I think, nine days of his execution for rape and murder convictions before he was exonerated by testing of DNA evidence that wasn't available at the time when the crimes were committed. That one case does make me seriously question application of the death penalty in Virginia, atleast under the current system.  It's also important to note that Virginia Governor Mark Warner recently commuted a death sentence to life in prison in the case of a man in which a court clerk threw away blood stained scissors (I think) that could have been tested and possibly exonerated or implicated the accused. The advanced testing couldn't be done because a court clerk threw the evidence away. Sounds sketchy to me. Warner recently ordered DNA testing in numerous cases and a few people have been cleared already because of it. 

We'll see how the Coleman case plays out. I lot of eyes will be watching this case closely--you can bet on it. If in fact, he is cleared, it seems like it would be a good time to talk about the invalidity and unreliability of the polygraph since his life literally depended on it.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 1:58am
EosJupiter,

What I'm having a hard time understanding is your contention that the polygrapher who polygraphed Coleman would necessarily be guilty of a felony crime (whether in the Commonwealth of Virginia or any other State governed by the Common Law) if, in fact, Coleman were innocent. Although I'm strongly opposed to polygraphy, I think it's a stretch to assert that a polygrapher who, acting upon the direction of a state governor, polygraphed a person convicted of a capital crime and obtained an erroneous result, would necessarily have committed a felony.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 2:16am
George, PolyFool

I guess we agree to disagree, and lets follow this case. But if I were the lawyer for his family. I am sure that civil proceedings would go badly against  the state of Virginia and everyone involved. Basically following the trail of individuals that made the execution happen, which is the same as following the money in a drug investigation. So lets wait and see, but again my gut instincts tell me if he is exonerated there is criminal negligence implications. But again just my opinion. But the law is rather clear here .  

I wanted to add this link: 

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+coh+8.01-50+401862

Here is the text:

§ 8.01-50. Action for death by wrongful act; how and when to be brought. 

A. Whenever the death of a person shall be caused by the wrongful act, neglect, or default of any person or corporation (states are incorporated entities),  or of any ship or vessel, and the act, neglect, or default is such as would, if death had not ensued, have entitled the party injured to maintain an action, or to proceed in rem against such ship or vessel or in personam against the owners thereof or those having control of her, and to recover damages in respect thereof, then, and in every such case, the person who, or corporation or ship or vessel which, would have been liable, if death had not ensued, shall be liable to an action for damages, or, if a ship or vessel, to a libel in rem, and her owners or those responsible for her acts or defaults or negligence to a libel in personam, notwithstanding the death of the person injured, and although the death shall have been caused under such circumstances, as amount in law to a felony.

B. Every such action under this section shall be brought by and in the name of the personal representative of such deceased person within the time limits specified in § 8.01-244. 

C. If the deceased person was an infant who was in the custody of a parent pursuant to an order of court or written agreement with the other parent, administration shall be granted first to the parent having custody; however, that parent may waive his right to qualify in favor of any other person designated by him. If no such parent or his designee applies for administration within thirty days from the death of the infant, administration shall be granted as in other cases. 

(Code 1950, § 8-633; 1958, c. 470; 1977, c. 617; 1981, c. 115.) 

One more thing on this is the time limit: 

Link:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+coh+8.01-244+500786

§ 8.01-244. Actions for wrongful death; limitation. 

A. Notwithstanding the provisions of § 8.01-229 B, if a person entitled to bring an action for personal injury dies as a result of such injury with no such action pending before the expiration of two years next after the cause of action shall have accrued, then an action under § 8.01-50 may be commenced within the time limits specified in subsection B of this section. 

B. Every action under § 8.01-50 shall be brought by the personal representative of the decedent within two years after the death of the injured person. If any such action is brought within such period of two years after such person's death and for any cause abates or is dismissed without determining the merits of such action, the time such action is pending shall not be counted as any part of such period of two years and another action may be brought within the remaining period of such two years as if such former action had not been instituted. However, if a plaintiff suffers a voluntary nonsuit pursuant to § 8.01-380, the nonsuit shall not be deemed an abatement nor a dismissal pursuant to this subsection, and the provisions of subdivision E 3 of § 8.01-229 shall apply to such a nonsuited action. 

(Code 1950, §§ 8-633, 8-634; 1958, c. 470; 1977, c. 617; 1991, c. 722.) 

The way it reads, and the other referenced code subsections, its 2 years to impose actions upon the indentification of the wrongful death. So the time limit starts the moment the exoneration is identified. 

Thanks for the debate and lets see what happens.

Regards
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:54am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:05pm
addendum to above:

I called a friend (an attorney in Vienna, Virginia) and he clairified the workings of how this type of procecution might be handled. He basically said that the state attorney general must address the issue, but if he determines that the activity happened without malice and forethought. Then no crime was committed. Because the execution happened under legal means at the time. There for, no harm no foul, at least in criminal proceedings. But if he determines that there is enough proof of bias or neglect , then the polygraph examiner will be included into the criminal case if there is one for wrongful death and criminal negligence. 

In civil proceedings, if he is exonerated, that family has a substancial payday coming. And that familys case will start with the State of Virginia, and follow the people trail, of which that polygrapher better have good insurance.  

Bottom line this should prove to be a very interesting case to follow. The ramifications to the anti-deathpenalty folks is enormous. And because a polygraph was used to help put (if he is exonerated), an innocent man into the electric chair. It even adds more fuel to the antipolygraph momement.  Thanks George and Polyfool for letting me get back to doing some real law research.  So depending on the DNA results, this could be a real windfall for the antipolygraph cause. 

Regards ...  
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2006 at 11:52pm by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 1:07am
EosJupitor

Ask your attorney friend, if this is found to be a wrongful death, if the venue would be in federal court under "Due Process". I don't think malace and aforethought has to be proven under the Due Process Clause and it would certainly involve the polygrapher. I would like to know for my own knowledge.

Here, again, I have to say that my limited legal knowledge is at the federal level - Civil (mining, etc.) not criminal. However, my research in mining laws has taken me to other interesting areas i.e., ADA.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 8:34am
TwoBlock,

My lawyer friend said he highly doubts it could ever go to federal court.  Its a state issue only. Subject to all the state politics that I am sure will come with this case.
But this case has the potential to make a lawyers career. 

Hope the info helps .

Regards

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 5:06pm
EosJupitor

Thanks.

One way it could wind up in federal court is if the family lost in state courts and kept appealing, it would land in the Federal District Court. If they lost there the appeal process would take them to the Court of Appeals and then on to U.S. SupCt. by Writ of Certiorari. That's why I say the first action should include Due Process and state a claim. States always try to say "the action didn't state a claim".

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 5:51pm
TwoBlock,

I will have to rely on your experience, since you have dealt with ADA (I am assuming its Americans with Disabilities Act), and dealing with the feds can be tough. This case put before a federal bench, would be most interesting. I need to look at Virginia's appeal rules to get a better idea. I think the state will want to settle this, and make it go away. again this could be nothing more than noise too, if the DNA testing doesn't happen.
Its great to have your input  !!! Smiley   

Regards

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Did Virginia execute an innocent man?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X