Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Did Virginia execute an innocent man? (Read 16663 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: Did Virginia execute an innocent man?
Reply #15 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 12:32am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
EosJupitor

Unless DNA vendicates the guy, then this IS all noise.

I think federal courts are much more honest and pay more attention to case law. You have "Tobacco Road" politics to contend with at local and state courts. I know. I just finished a county case, defending my grandson which I won, and I'm going to take them on again with a damage suit. Federal courts seem to give more leeway to pro se actions than state courts. Local judges seem to think the legal profession is a lock in for lawyers and make it as hard for non-lawyers as they can.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #16 - Jan 11th, 2006 at 10:15am
TwoBlock,

You sound like you would make a mighty fine lawyer. 
The toughest courses in Law School are Civil Procedure, Torts, and Contract Law. those are in your first year courses. After them the rest is challenging but not hard. You should consider it. By your speaking and logic, you could be formidable.   Again thanks for the time.

Regards

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2006 at 11:06pm
Virginia Governor Mark Warner says DNA retesting in the case of Roger Keith Coleman, who was executed in 1992 for the 1981 rape and murder of his sister-in-law Wanda Fay McCoy in Grundy, confirms his guilt. According to the Ontario lab that conducted the independent testing, there is a one in 19 million chance that a randomly selected person unrelated to Coleman would share his DNA profile. 

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2006 at 2:43am by polyfool »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 6:55am
Well a whole lot of hubbub and verbage over nothing, I guess, no loss, just one executed murderer.   

Regards

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nolehce
User

Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2006 at 10:13pm
Actually, I suspect the polygraphers will claim that the DNA vindicates their failure of this defendant on his examination.

The true loss is that they will use the cover of an, indeed, legitimate execution to further the myth of lie detection.

I don't shrug my shoulders at the thought that polygraphers will be emboldened by this development.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 7:25pm
nolehce wrote on Jan 13th, 2006 at 10:13pm:
Actually, I suspect the polygraphers will claim that the DNA vindicates their failure of this defendant on his examination.

The true loss is that they will use the cover of an, indeed, legitimate execution to further the myth of lie detection.

I don't shrug my shoulders at the thought that polygraphers will be emboldened by this development.

Alleged liar,

I gave this particular string alot of thought before I responded to all of you.  No, I not feeling "emboldened" by the fact that Virginia (my home state) correctly executed a murderer.  Nor am I dancing in glee that the state made that decision in part by correctly considering the results of a polygraph examination that proved to be "dead on" accurate in this case (no pun intended).

I am posting now simply to remind each of you who waited with such joyous anticipation to hang a wrongful death charge on a Virginia police examiner, that not a single one of you who posted to this string, have come back to this board and admitted you may have been a little to quick to execute the polygraph examiner instead of the actual murderer.

You all had so much to say.  You all spoke with such authority...   

Alledgedliar:
"Faced with impending execution, and with my life depending on someone else's interpretation of some squiggly lines, I'd probably "fail" a "lie detector test" as well. 

Then state that Coleman "failed," the "test" as if that somehow conclusively proves his guilt."

Well, Allegedliar, I guess in this case, it looks like polygraph did just that. 

George Maschke
"...it is hardly surprising that anyone whose life or imminent death hinged upon his being believed or disbelieved when answering relevant questions about a crime for which he has been convicted might react more strongly to them than to such commonly used probable-lie "control" questions as, "Before (date of crime), did you ever intentionally hurt someone?"

George, once again this case proves you do not understand polygraph concepts and application as well as you claim.  To bad for the folks downloading your materials.   

Polyfool, 
"...It's no wonder Coleman failed his polygraph on the morning of his execution as he had a lot riding on its outcome--his life literally depended on it." 

No, Polyfool.  He failed because he raped and murdered a 19 year old girl…Next question? 

EosJupiter
"What is also interesting to note, is that if he was executed wrongly by the state of Virginia, then the polygraph examiner is also guilty of duplicity & contributing to the death of an innocent person, because he falsely read the charts that lead to his death. At a minimum under the law he is an accessory to the wrongful death. And guess what that’s a felony. Oh this is going to be so much fun watching this work its way out. So to the polygraphers that read this: If he is found innocent then , besides just destroying peoples reputation, you now help people get killed." 

EosJupiter, the obvious joy you took in writing the above posting was one of the main reasons I write you now.  Since the examiner clearly had “duplicity & contributing to the death” of an GUILTY person, will you now stipulate that the polygraph examiner in this case “correctly” read the charts?  You also said "Oh this is going to be so much fun," in reference to how the polygraph community would respond if this murderer were indeed found innocent.  I suspect this situation has turned out to be somewhat less "fun" than you had inticipated.   

Eos Jupiter
"...what I am saying is that the way the law works, and it apples to doctors with malpractice too, is that if the process or procedure contributes to the death of a person, there are both civil and criminal rules involved, and remedies to address those issues. And just by the nature of that type of polygraph interrogation, (and I can't ever be sure), the polygrapher could not have been unbiased as they claim they are. But again we weren't there, but my gut instinct tells me that it wasn't even close to being impartial. That guy was going to fry no matter the outcome. The poly was just an insurance policy for the State of Virginia to say, see he failed ... now lets kill him."

EosJupiter, I'm afraid that once again it seems all your assumptions were wrong.  I believe the examiner conducted a fair and impartial polygraph exmaination here.  As any professional examiner would have.  And don’t forget, his results were accurate and correct. 

Polyfool

"We'll see how the Coleman case plays out. I lot of eyes will be watching this case closely--you can bet on it. If in fact, he is cleared, it seems like it would be a good time to talk about the invalidity and unreliability of the polygraph since his life literally depended on it." 

Hey Polyfool, now that the results of this examination were clearly accurate, lets all talk about the validity and accuracy of polygraph in this case. 

Eos Jupiter
"In civil proceedings, if he is exonerated, that family has a substancial payday coming. And that familys case will start with the State of Virginia, and follow the people trail, of which that polygrapher better have good insurance."

And if by any chance you knew who the examiner was in this case, and posted his name to this board (which you all like to do), trashing his good name in the process, then how much insurance would you have to have now?  Could you afford it?

EosJupiter 
"...because a polygraph was used to help put (if he is exonerated), an innocent man into the electric chair. It even adds more fuel to the antipolygraph momement....this could be a real windfall for the antipolygraph cause.

And instead it has reinforced the importance of polygraph testing in criminal investigations.  In the end I view the results of the polygraph examination in this case as a "real windfall" in the use of a forensic technique that has proved its utility over and over.

My word.

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #21 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 8:48pm
Nonombre,

I can’t help but view your post with skepticism.  After waiting for the DNA test results you then spoke out regarding the accuracy of the polygraph administered prior to the execution.  What lukewarm confidence you must have in the polygraph...

If you could have spoken out with confidence before the DNA results were available, based on nothing more than the polygraph test administered prior to the execution, I think that would have shown true confidence in the accuracy of the polygraph.  But I suspect that you knew there was some chance, however large or small you believed it to be, that the polygraph administered prior to the execution was inaccurate, and the wrong person was in fact executed.

Your post seems intended to denigrate those who failed to acknowledge, after the DNA test results were known, that the correct person was in fact executed.  How is your post, which also waited until the DNA test results were known, any better?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 9:22pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Jan 15th, 2006 at 8:48pm:
Nonombre,

I can’t help but view your post with skepticism.  After waiting for the DNA test results you then spoke out regarding the accuracy of the polygraph administered prior to the execution.  What lukewarm confidence you must have in the polygraph...

If you could have spoken out with confidence before the DNA results were available, based on nothing more than the polygraph test administered prior to the execution, I think that would have shown true confidence in the accuracy of the polygraph.  But I suspect that you knew there was some chance, however large or small you believed it to be, that the polygraph administered prior to the execution was inaccurate, and the wrong person was in fact executed.

Your post seems intended to denigrate those who failed to acknowledge, after the DNA test results were known, that the correct person was in fact executed.  How is your post, which also waited until the DNA test results were known, any better?

Sergeant,

Nice to hear from you again (I mean that, no sarcasm intended).  To answer your question, I did not purposely wait for the DNA results to be posted before responding.  In fact, if you look at the date I did respond, it was several days after the DNA results were made available.  I was going to not respond at all, but I felt I had to in this case.

To answer another question:   Yes, of course there was a chance the polygraph results would be wrong.  Just like there is always a chance that tool mark evidence, ballistics, and hand writing analysis could be wrong.  That is why we consider the totality of any case before any of us should make decisions of guilt or innocence.

My only point is that the posters to this string were virtually jumping out of their skins in gleeful anticipation that the DNA results would counter the polygraph, and when the opposite turned out to be the case, vitually each one was suddenly and strangely silent.

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #23 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 9:26pm
Sergeant,

I agree with you, NoNombre should have jumped into the race at the beginning. But its easy to make the call after the real science is done, and the results are in.

NoNombre, 

Its not your polygraph that won the day here, Its the real science of DNA,  conclusive, accurate, and with known finite results. Definately something your polygraph can't even come close to matching. Now If you read my posts, I predicated all my posts with, Now pay attention, "If he is exonerated", The whole string is an exercise in theory, and logic. If he is exonerated, then all types of things happen, if not then a murderer was executed. And privately in email we knew you would show up and gloat. I might suspect that the examiner that gave that deathhouse poly was you. And if it wasn't you know who it was. His name didn't get posted and it was also no where do be found in this medium. That examiner dodged a real bullet here, but lets not hide the fact again, it was the real science that did the job. But we will have another shot at the polygraph and the polygraphers that run the infernal machine. You can only hide in the shadows for so long before one of your brothern screws over the wrong examinee. Next time stake your claim at the onset of the debate. You would definately have more validity.

Regards .....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #24 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:05pm
EosJupiter wrote on Jan 15th, 2006 at 9:26pm:
Sergeant,

Next time stake your claim at the onset of the debate. You would definately have more validity.

Regards .....

EosJupiter,

I will certainly stipulate that you very much "staked your claim" at the onset of this debate.  Now it is time for you to admit (no matter where I personally came into the picture) that you and your anti-poly buds were busily and joyfully planning the lynching of polygraph over this case before the sad day arrived that proved that polygraph was actually quite right all along.  You must have really hated when that happened...Smiley

Now in your defense, I very much respect your position that a cold blooded murderer came to his much earned end.  At least you are not a bleeding heart liberal.

I really dislike those guys.

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:25pm
NoNombre,

Botton Line is the DNA proved in this case the polygrapher got it right. Is it a panacea of rightiousness for the polygraph? not in a long shot. And again if you read my posts, DNA proved him guilty. THe ramifications of him not (as stated before), is nothing but noice. But the best part of this forum is this debate. And at a minimum, this forum makes you polygraphers think twice before rendering a half-baked opinion. No I am not liberal, I do believe in let the punishment fit the crime, as long as it is proven.  Never let it be said I never admit to being wrong.  Now let a polygrapher openly come back and admit to a wrongful opinion.
That will never happen.

Regards

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #26 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 12:21am
EosJupiter wrote on Jan 15th, 2006 at 11:25pm:
NoNombre,

Botton Line is the DNA proved in this case the polygrapher got it right. Is it a panacea of rightiousness for the polygraph? not in a long shot. And again if you read my posts, DNA proved him guilty. THe ramifications of him not (as stated before), is nothing but noice. But the best part of this forum is this debate. And at a minimum, this forum makes you polygraphers think twice before rendering a half-baked opinion. No I am not liberal, I do believe in let the punishment fit the crime, as long as it is proven.  Never let it be said I never admit to being wrong.  Now let a polygrapher openly come back and admit to a wrongful opinion.
That will never happen.

Regards

EosJupiter,

Your post brings up an interesting point.  My federal polygraph examiner friends tell me that a number of years ago, there was a federal study conducted that compared the results of Army crime lab analysis with Army CID polygraph results.  The end result (as I am told) was there was not a single case where the polygraph results disagreed with the crime lab results (fingerprints, ballistics, etc).  These polygraph exams were conducted in virtually every case prior to the crime lab results being reported.  Therefore there was no way the polygraph examiners could have know then laboratory outcomes.  If true, this 100% correlation would seem to be a testament to polygraph accuracy.

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the study, but I have been told the study was conducted in the 1980s by two guys named Light and Schwartz.

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #27 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 4:00am
Nonombre,

It really takes a lot of guts to come out and voice opinions AFTER the results are already in--you're one brave guy. I respectfully disagree with your ASSertion that the polygraph was right in this case. It was the jury and prosecution who got it right in this case and the DNA comparison -- a proven scientific testing procedure--that proves it. 

If you'll notice-- instead of picking out  quotes to back up your weak arguement--the posters on this thread kept open minds before the results were in. I even stated that I'd always believed Coleman to be guilty, but you failed to mention that.  I stand by my original statement of no wonder Coleman failed the poly on the morning of his execution. Whether innocent or guilty of the crime at hand, that's an unbelieveable amount of pressure to put on anyone. Don't misunderstand me, I have no sympathy for rapists and murderers nor am I making any excuses for Coleman. Undergoing a poly for a job is very nerve-racking, I can't imagine what it must be like if one's life depended  on it. Here's a hypothetical for you nonombre: Say you were wrongly convicted and sentenced to death for a crime you didn't commit. Would you be willing to trust your life in the hands of an unscientific so-called testing procedure such as the polygraph?   

I am glad that we know for sure that Virginia (Nonombre's home state) did not execute an innocent man. That would have been a heavy burden for many to live with, including those such as myself who support the death penalty. What is most unfortunate is that a guilty man professed his innocence until his death and when an innocent man does it, he may not be heard. Since the Old Dominion is your home state Nonombre, perhaps you are familiar with a man named Earl Washington who came within nine days of his execution for rape and murder before DNA testing cleared him.  Nonombre, I betcha he failed a polygraph, don't you? Before leaving office, Virginia Governor Mark Warner ordered DNA testing in many rape and/or murder convictions and several men have already been cleared because of the results. Gee, Nonombre--I wonder how many of those guys failed polygraphs? Probably every last one. It must really suck for you guys--polygraph examiners masquerading as scientists only to have DNA PROVE you wrong. Boo-hoo. Thank God for real science.     Smiley

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #28 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 4:16am
polyfool wrote on Jan 16th, 2006 at 4:00am:
Nonombre,

Since the Old Dominion is your home state Nonombre, perhaps you are familiar with a man named Earl Washington who came within nine days of his execution for rape and murder before DNA testing cleared him.  Nonombre, I betcha he failed a polygraph, don't you? ...Gee, Nonombre--I wonder how many of those guys failed polygraphs? Probably every last one. It must really suck for you guys--polygraph examiners masquerading as scientists only to have DNA PROVE you wrong. Boo-hoo. Thank God for real science.     Smiley

Polyfool,

Please provide me a detailed list of murder convicts, cleared by DNA, that had failed prior police administered polygraph examinations.  Once I have a verifyable list, I might give your ASSertion credence that DNA has proven ANY properly administered, quality controlled, polygraph, wrong.  Until then, have a good day.

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #29 - Jan 16th, 2006 at 4:44am
nonombre wrote on Jan 16th, 2006 at 4:16am:

Polyfool,

Please provide me a detailed list of murder convicts, cleared by DNA, that had failed prior police administered polygraph examinations.  Once I have a verifyable list, I might give your ASSertion credence that DNA has proven ANY properly administered, quality controlled, polygraph, wrong.  Until then, have a good day.

Nonombre

Nonombre,

I'll work on a verifiable list of rape and/or murder convictions as I was referring to in my post, but why should I bother--you've already given yourself and the polygraph community your usual out--there must have been something wrong with the way the test was administered! Likely story. What a total cop-out. 

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2006 at 5:13am by polyfool »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Did Virginia execute an innocent man?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X