Normal Topic Want to be a cop (Read 4064 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box conneradams
New User

Want to be a cop
Dec 30th, 2005 at 10:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm really young. Only 17. I want to start prepping for my future. But I've always wanted to be a cop.

I've experimented with drugs but the last time I touched anything was a little over a year ago. I've smoked pot, done e, and shrooms twice. Is there no point in me trying to be come a cop? 

Will it be looked past because I was (am) young and will have been sober for years once I get to the point to actually become a part of law enforcement?

Any answers would help. Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box easterbunny789
New User

Re: Want to be a cop
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 11:56pm
Well let me put it this way. At your age this is what you should be doing. Find a police department with a cadet program. Go to college and pick a major that will land you a job. You dont have to have a criminal justice degree to be a cop. Some police departments do not require a college degree. Actually most of them dont require one. The mistake that I made was actually majoring in criminal justice. If I dont get hired as a cop my degree is useless. Find a back up plan and fight hard to be a cop. As for your shrooms usuage, send a unominous e-mail to the department you are interested in and ask them. If by the time you are 21 and you have not done any kind of narcotics then it may not be a problem. But just know that some agencies will automatically disqualify you for using it. 

But like I said... Find a cadet program. You are almost gauranteed a job if you pass everything. If there is no cadet program ask to volunteer or find a internship. You are at the perfect age to get your name out there. Most of the applicants like myself do not have the contacts that you can get from these programs.  Good luck

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:52am
Thank you so much for your reply.

I will look into the cadet progam. I appreciate it.

Good luck to you too.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:08pm

But like I said... Find a cadet program. You are almost gauranteed a job if you pass everything. If there is no cadet program ask to volunteer or find a internship. You are at the perfect age to get your name out there. Most of the applicants like myself do not have the contacts that you can get from these programs.  Good luck [/quote]

Easterbunny,

that is truly excellent advice.  Though I am older and truthfully, have never even smoked marijuana, I wonder what would have happened to me had I come along later.  Our drug of choice in my day was beer.

The cadet program will absolutely get the kid's foot in the door and even BI/polygraphers will develop strong opinions based on regular contact after they observe sincerity, integrity and a strong work ethic

Have a prosperous '06

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 11:56pm
conner,

If there is "cadet" program, then I highly suggest that you look into it.  To be honest, you are very young and I wouldn't rush into anything at that age.

Police work is nothing like it is in the movies.  I would first suggest that you go to college and take the time to complete an education, whether it is law enforcement related or not does not really matter, but at least you will have something to fall back on just in case you find out that LE was not what you though it to be.  Remember that LE applicants are a dime a dozen, but those with an education and a history of good work ethic are not and that is usually what will get you hired on.   

Either way, stay away from the drugs, follow traffic rules and good luck.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 9:45pm
Thanks. I really want to join the Coastguard and get my education that way. That would probably be smarter than joining the Cadet program, right?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 4:59am
Conneradams

That could be a good plan if you will dig in and forego some liberty weekends to study. You can surely get a college education while in if you apply yourself. I can tell you from experience, that it's not easy to stay in the barracks and study while experiencing a high level of testosterone.

I was born and raised on a poor land farm in Arkansas and farm work had to come before education. Therefore, I didn't finish high school in public school. I joined the Navy and finished high school plus enough studies to inter college. I finished college in 3 years. I felt this necessary because the 4 years of Navy had put me behind my age groop. The plan has served me very well.

You have received some good advice from above posters also. Get all the advice you can, study and analize it carefully then make your own decission. I'll bet a gold nugget, that I cary on my keychain, you will make the correct choice.

IP Logged

Want to be a cop

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X