Normal Topic Kudos to Retired CIA Polygrapher John F. Sullivan (Read 2780 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Kudos to Retired CIA Polygrapher John F. Sullivan
Dec 16th, 2005 at 10:16pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Retired CIA polygrapher John F. Sullivan, author of Of Spies and Lies: A CIA Lie Detector Remembers Vietnam (University of Kansas Press, 2002), has come out unequivocally against torture. In a letter to TomPaine.com (some links supplied), Sullivan writes:

Quote:
Re: McCain's Defining Moment by Ray McGovern

I just read Mr. McGovern's letter re: torture and wish that I had been one of the signers.  For 31 years (1968 - 1999), I was a polygraph examiner with the CIA; four of those years were spent in Vietnam. I, and many of my former colleagues, are outraged and disgusted by the recent stories re: CIA involvement in torture.

Jane Mayer's articlein the 14 November New Yorker, and the subsequent ABC story on CIA Harsh Interrogations got my attention.  In my 31 years with the agency, I underwent the agency's interrogation course, conducted a lot of interrogations, in a lot of countries, and never encountered anything like what was described in those articles.

What was described in those articles represents a fundamental change in the way the agency does business and vitiates any claim we have to the moral high road.  Those articles also symbolize the failure of our Iraq policy.

John Sullivan
Author, Of Spies and Lies

As a former U.S. Army interrogator and Arabic linguist, I fully endorse these sentiments.
« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2005 at 3:54pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box furedy
User

Re: Kudos to Retired CIA Polygrapher John F. Sulli
Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2005 at 1:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
And as someone who has attacked polygraphy as a "psychological rubber hose" (see:
http://www.psych.utoronto.ca/~furedy/Papers/ld/Cconfess.doc),
I have to agree that the recent CIA policy is beyond the totalitarian pale inasumuch as it employs a physical rubber hose (or worse).

I recall that in the mid eighties countries behind the iron curtain evinced little interest in the polygraph, as their totalitarian system had the physical rubber hose (or worse) at its disposal.   

In what is still a relatively free society, Americans who support the polygraph and those who oppose it have to unite against the apparent use of torture by a CIA that has crossed the line that separates totalitarian from free societies.

All the best, John (now moved to Sydney Australia, but still on the UofT email.

IP Logged

Kudos to Retired CIA Polygrapher John F. Sullivan

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X