Normal Topic Rent-a-Shaq? (Read 5009 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mustbaliar
Senior User

Rent-a-Shaq?
Dec 9th, 2005 at 9:37pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I wonder if he had to take a polygraph.  Hmm... 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-officershaq&prov=ap&type=lgns ;

Smiley

IP Logged

Senior User

Re: Rent-a-Shaq?
Reply #1 - Dec 9th, 2005 at 9:54pm
After reading this article a second time I have some questions about "reserve" officers that maybe someone can answer.  Obviously, Shaquille O'neal is a "big" celebrity and can do or buy just about whatever he wants because of his status in American sports and culture, but did he still have to go through the same rigors and procedures that a "normal" police applicant is required to accomplish?  The article said he was a reserve police officer in Los Angeles and is now a reserve officer in Miami, even allowed to carry a gun, a badge, and make arrests (after a year of training, supposedly).  Can just anyone walk in off the street and become a "reserve" officer?  Anyone have any experience with this?  Just wondering.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 2:56am
I do not know about Florida or California.  In Arizona a reserve officer is certified just the same as a full time officer.  There is no differentiation between the two in the eyes of the state.  However there is a difference in academy training.  Full time officers receive academy instruction on a full time basis for 4-5 months, depending on the academy.  Reserve officers will generally attend an academy through a community college (two semesters).  They receive like training with the time factor being the only difference of which I am aware.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 3:23am
Thanks for the response, Brandon.  Good info.  I had never heard of a reserve police officer before.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 10:54am
The duties of reserve officers vary greatly from state to state. Like Brandon said, in some places, they essentially have full police powers. 

In others--most notably where the police unions are strongest--they wear police-style uniforms, but are relegated to "rent-a-cop" duties like crossing guard, traffic control at parades, etc. In these areas, they also tend to be detested by "regular" officers who view them as a threat to overtime availability.

Regardless of the scope of duty, the motivation for reserve guys seems to be the same. They are people who had a true calling  to become a cop, but had life's path take them elsewhere. There is probably no better example of this than Shaq.

As far as the polygraph, if it is a requirement for other reserve officers, I am willing to bet that he took one. However, you can be sure that the outcome of his “test” was pre-ordained. The polygrapher conducting such a test is put into a similar predicament to examiners “testing” directors and other major intelligence agency officials. He knows that there are severe career repercussions for him if the examinee fails. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 8:58pm
In California, there are three levels of reserve officer (Levels I, II and III).  Although all reserve officers are considered peace officers regardless of level the officer has attained, Level I and Level II officers are limited in their authority as peace officers.  Level I reserve officers must have the same academy and FTO training as full-time officers, and while on-duty have the same exact peace officer authority as full-time officers.  All reserve officers must undergo the same hiring process as full-time officers.  Shaq when he played for the Lakers was a Level I reserve officer for the Los Angeles Harbor Police.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:41pm
mustbaliar wrote on Dec 9th, 2005 at 9:54pm:
After reading this article a second time I have some questions about "reserve" officers that maybe someone can answer.  Obviously, Shaquille O'neal is a "big" celebrity and can do or buy just about whatever he wants because of his status in American sports and culture, but did he still have to go through the same rigors and procedures that a "normal" police applicant is required to accomplish?  The article said he was a reserve police officer in Los Angeles and is now a reserve officer in Miami, even allowed to carry a gun, a badge, and make arrests (after a year of training, supposedly).  Can just anyone walk in off the street and become a "reserve" officer?  Anyone have any experience with this?  Just wondering.

We have a "celebrity" at our Agency.  They paid their own way through the Academy and went through the same BI that others endured.  Our reserves ride the road, work the jail etc just like everyone else.  They just do it for free

Have a great '06

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:44pm
rcop wrote on Dec 10th, 2005 at 8:58pm:
In California, there are three levels of reserve officer (Levels I, II and III).  Although all reserve officers are considered peace officers regardless of level the officer has attained, Level I and Level II officers are limited in their authority as peace officers.  Level I reserve officers must have the same academy and FTO training as full-time officers, and while on-duty have the same exact peace officer authority as full-time officers.  All reserve officers must undergo the same hiring process as full-time officers.  Shaq when he played for the Lakers was a Level I reserve officer for the Los Angeles Harbor Police.

Just for my information, what is the specific difference in a level I, II and III. I thought I understood that even the level I had the same arrest authority that full timers have.  As usual, I probably missed something.

Have a great '06

IP Logged

User

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 7:53pm
Dippity,

Sorry, I meant to say that Level II and III officers have limited authority.  Non-designated Level I reserve officers have the same authority as regular, full-time officers, but only while on duty.  These officers have no off-duty peace officer authority.  Designated Level I reserve officers have the same authority, on and off duty, as full-time officers.  Most Level I officers are non-designated.

IP Logged

User

Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 7:57pm
Level II reserve officers can perform general law enforcement activities, but only when under the immediate supervision of a regular or Level I reserve officer.   level II's are usually the second officer in a two man unit.  Level III reserve officers perform support roles (i.e., parade security, prisoner transport etc) and are not allowed to perform general law enforcement activities.  Each level has its own specific training requirements.

IP Logged

Rent-a-Shaq?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X