Normal Topic I "passed" based on my personability... (Read 3234 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Greg
New User

I "passed" based on my personability...
Dec 4th, 2005 at 11:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'll just level with you guys and admit I'm a convicted sex offender, convicted of a misdemeanor count of "contributing to the sexual delinquency of a minor".  Basically, I got romantically involved with our 16 year-old babysitter.  Anyway, part of the treatment program is what is called a Full Sexual History Disclosure polygraph, followed by periodic Maintenance polygraphs every six months.  Now, rest assured I have never done such a thing in the past as romantically or sexually pursue another minor.  However, the entire polygraph process (it's freakin' 5 hours long) is structured in such a way as to dredge admissions out of EVERYBODY.  I went round and round with my polygrapher before the test, trying desperately to get this guy to believe I have not previously "sexually touched" another minor or committed some other infraction he claimed that "is very common" and that "many people do".  The mantra was, "Are you sure that's everything?  That isn't enough.  Many other people have this thing to admit, or that thing too."  After over 4 hours of interrogation, the "test" finally began.   

Fortunately, and only because of this website, I was able to immediately recognize the control questions within the eight questions I was to be asked.  I answered truthfully to each and every question, but used the mental practices described on antipolygraph.org to ensure a more "con-spec-nificant" response to the control questions.  At the test's conclusion, and after he had already scored the "test", I was then asked "So talk to me more about this frottage thing (Frottage is where you touch somebody else for the sake of arousal, even though the other person is unaware).  I was absolutely matter-of-fact in my response, repeating several times that I have not conducted myself in such a way.  Finally, in a rather chagrined voice, he said, "well, I'm going to go ahead and pass you."   

After all this, it wasn't until later in the interrogation that I finally realized just how important and correct the information on antipolygraph.org is.  My polygrapher made the statement that he "always gets concerned when he hears about a young man (I'm 30) having access to students (I used to work for a public school district, though in the facilities management department - I never even had access to kids, but he seemed to infer that I did)".  It totally hit me that this guy was ready to fail me ASAP unless I made some sort of confession right there on the spot.  Since I had no admissions to make, he got visibly flustered and tried very hard to get something out of me after the "test".   

Anyway, the point of this little story is that I believe by being personable at the right times, and absolutely declaring my innocence at others, I finally convinced him (EVEN THOUGH THE TEST WAS COMPLETE AND HAD BEEN SCORED!!) that I was being truthful.  It really kind of makes me angry.  But, I guess these guys deal with a lot of repeat offenders so I guess I can sort of understand.  Still, it's like give me the benefit of the doubt and consder that perhaps somebody screwed up once and is on track to bring order back to his life.   

So, thanks to antipolygraph.org I walked in to the interrogation with an excellent understanding of each stage of the polygraph process and I was able to apply the knowledge at critical junctures.  Oh yeah.  And he even went in-depth with me to ask if I had "read anything on the Internet" about polygraphs, which I gave up as a simple "well, I've read a couple of articles I guess on my local news station's website but nothing besides that."  He also tried to instill some fear by saying, "Most people breathe between 13 and 19 breaths per minute.  If you're breathing more or less than that, I'll know you're trying to manipulate the chart.  Just sit back, breathe normally, and let the equipment do its job." 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Re: I "passed" based on my personability
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 12:11am
Greg,

Have you considered counseling, for you and your wife   how did she take all of this?  you may have beaten the so called "system", but are you really going to go through life faithful only to your spouse?  you have bigger obstacles than beating a polygraph.  Being labeled a convicted sex offender dramatically cuts down many of your choices/rights.  at 30 years old, you still have alot of life ahead of you.  your past may come back to haunt you again...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 9:54am
Thanks for the concern...I know I've eff'd things up pretty good.  I'm very fortunate that my wife has forgiven me and we're staying together.  I have been in personal counseling even well before the actual arrest came (I lied to my counselor and said she was 18 ) and my wife and I have been in counseling together.  We're gonna pull through this.  I was just thankful to pass the poly because the P.O.'s place so much value in the results.  My P.O. could have labeled me "Predatory" based on teh results of this stupid test, even though my conviction was just a misdemeanor.  I was completly honest in the interview but it seems clear that I would not have passed without utilizing the info contained on this site.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 10:30am
Greg,

I hope that you get things in order and wish you well in your future.

regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2005 at 11:08am
Quote:
Greg,

I hope that you get things in order

Thanks.  So do I.

IP Logged

I "passed" based on my personability...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X