Normal Topic Confused about my test (Read 1851 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confusion
New User

Confused about my test
Nov 10th, 2005 at 12:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello folks. As I would imagine is the case with most people, I was nervous about taking my "voluntary" pre-employment polygraph. I read about some of the polygraph horror stories on this forum and did my best to study the guide. I even got to talk to George on Skype (which, again, I really appreciate, George). 

So I take the test in an empty office building. While my examiner is setting up the equipment, she goes on about the accuracy of polygraph and her extensive experience (as predicted by the guide). One amusing moment was when I had asked her the question "so is the polygraph more accurate than those voice-stress analyzers"? Which, again as predicted, led to her rant against the other voodoo science in which she touted how much more accurate the polygraph is. Oh how wrong she was... 

Firstly, the confusion part of this. I was prepared to identify my control and relevant questions, however, I could find no control questions! Maybe it was because I was nervous, but I couldn't identify a single control question. She just asked me to close my eyes and answer the 8 or 9 relevant questions she had. I should   note that the only thing I was interested in hiding here was some minor scattered pot use (a few times a year).

Round 1:
She fires off the first barrage of questions. Then, at the end, said I was showing deception on the question "have you ever commited a serious [by her definition assault, rape, etc. (not speeding, running red light)] crime for which you were not convicted". Puzzled, I told her I had no idea why she would come to that conclusion. 

Round 2: 
The questions come again only in a different order. And as with the first chart, she states that she was having problems with a question. Not the same question as the first chart nor the question I was actually being deceptive on, mind you, but that I showed deception on "ever knowingly recieving stolen merchandise". Amused at the inconsistency of her findings, I feigned surprise as I said "wow, I'm surprised you could pick that up!". Not wanting to have her relay these incorrect findings to my potential employer (which would without a doubt prevent my hiring as the latter question is directly relevant to the position), I proceeded to tell her a story about being in high school and drinking some liquor at a party that I knew a friend had stolen from a grociery store. She apperantly regarded the detection of this small deception as a trophy and was satisfied with my explanation. 

In any case, I'm happy to say that I did get the job and I start next week.  After experiencing a polygraph myself,I'm absolutely amazed at it's inaccuracy. She could have done just as well giving me a pre-employment tarot card reading, lol. I did not employ any countermeasures to hamper the "tester's" results other than steady breathing (which she asked me to do anyway). 

I really appreciate this sites presence and the work put in by it's founders. I look forward to seeing an abolishment of the polygraph "test" in the near future.

-Dan

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Smokey
Ex Member

Re: Confused about my test
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 10:21am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Confusion,

Way to Go and good luck in your job.  That is a good experience to show that polygraphy is BS.  I am more quick to trust a piece of paper found in a fortune cookie than I am the "Polygraph" test.

-Adam

IP Logged

Confused about my test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X