Normal Topic Not who I once was help! (Read 4937 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seatac
New User

Not who I once was help!
Nov 10th, 2005 at 7:23am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Looking to become a peace officer. The auto disqualifiers for employment I've done over 3/4 of them. Thats just what they list. I've used illegal substance, bla bla bla. I'm so anti-drugs and b/s at this point I'm back to wanting to really help. I want to make a difference one call at a time. I just turned 30 and I came here to get help because I want this job more than anything. I know in my soul that I'd make a damn good cop. I'm still gonna go do my poly in the 1st few months of 06'. Am I wasting time? There is a lot of "deception" that needs to be done. Don't wanna be a liar, but hey...I'm not who I once was.  Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Not who I once was help!
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 7:36pm
I once worked with an officer who people would easily say was the poster boy for what a law enforcement officer should look like and act like.  He stood out as a great officer, had the respect of his peers and of his supervisors.   

Not only was he a great officer, but he was also a great father, a single father at that.  When I got to know him and talk to him about what had happened to his wife and why she was not around he eventually confessed that she chose drugs over them.   The more I spoke with this officer the more he told me about his past and some of the things he had done which were definitely not conducive with the model life of a LEO.  He did those things before he came into LE and after the birth of his child he changed for the better and became the man he was today.

It is unfortunate that many of the things he had done were also disqualifiers and he definitely is not the person he used to be.  Fact of the matter is he got hired on with the department because the department did not conduct a polygraph and what he had done in the past could really never be found out via a regualr background check.

Before I get flamed for my poly remark I would like to point out that people usually confess to things that were out of the public eye or where there were no witnesses during the polygraph.  It is in instances like these that poly works, not through the merit of the machine, but the myth or fear of the machine that people have.   

I am sure that this officer is not the only one out there who completely changed his life for the better, but many of them will never get the chance to change or prove they have.

I do wish you the best if you have indeed changed for the better.  However, in LE your past may come back to bite you in the ass and lying to get in is absolutey no way to start a career.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 8:31pm
I know it sounds horrible, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm willing to see if I can beat this test, there is nothing that could come back to haunt me, I was never that into it and I'm very far removed from it for some time now. I feel as if it was another person in another time I'm convinced in my own mind. If in fact I do take this poly and pass it, wouldnt that just upset these examiners. I was no saint, but that shouldnt DQ me from helping others. If my character is that I must lie to become a LEO then its a sad reality. I rather not LIE, but I'm not left with a choice. This really isnt just about me lying, its just I think its B/S that my character isnt worth anything because of my past. I changed because in my heart I changed, I didnt need rehab or intervention. I just thought it was stupid and I pulled away from it never to do it again. Thats character! I pulled away from anyone who did it and I told them why. Thats character! Never been convicted of ANY crimes. One speeding ticket 4 years ago. United way volunteer, Big Brothers, raising a child that isnt mine but love more than life itself. Once again Character! So I guess if lying to get a job makes my character "bad" then I'll take the hit for one bad because if I get this job I'll do my part to rectify the KARMA of it all with all the good I'll try to do.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 9:57pm
Seatac

I have known a number of "bad seeds" in their youth. They went to school with my kiddo's. The ones that I still know about, 80% have turn their lives around and have become good, productive people. Two are in LE and one is a Lt.Col. in the Army. One who is a LEO wanted to date my daughter and I had to threaten to kick his ass to keep him away from my door. What a hell of a cop this guy has made!! Therefore, I say "go for it". I have to believe you'll do good.

Good Luck.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 7:09am
TwoBlock,

Thank you so much. I think thats what i really need to hear. "Lying" isnt something I really want to do but all local PD's here poly. Like I said, I'm now 30 and feel that I'm ready for such a career. I think if given the chance I could do more good. I'm not out to save the world, just want to help keep order. I once again appreciate the kind words.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 9:02pm
Dimas,

I also appreciate what you've said. I agree in some ways that lying is no way to start this type of work. I have a difficult decision to make.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 2:59am
My feeling is this..yes it is no way to start a career by lying. BUT is it fair that an agency that is testing knows they are using a flawed system which requires you to lie to pass the test? I also disagree with automatic DQ's with the exception of a few, which are not drug related. People make mistakes, to permanently disqualify someone really leaves a person "no choice" but to lie. Two wrongs don't make a right, but I can't blame someone for bullshitting the bullshitter. Good luck to you, I am sure you would make a fine officer.
Anxiety

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 7:24am
Wow, I don't think it could've been said better. It makes lots of sense the way you put it. I've had a few doubts. So the next question is....will TLBTLD help me learn to pass the test effectivly?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 7:55pm
Dimas,

Extremely well said.

Merry Christmas

IP Logged

Not who I once was help!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X