Normal Topic I lied - I failed (Read 5565 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ACMilan978
New User

I lied - I failed
Nov 3rd, 2005 at 5:55am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took my polygraph for a law enforcement position.  I read and re-read the information throughout this website and figured I was prepared as I ever could possibly be.  I knew going in that I would have to lie about prior drug use as I would be disqualified automatically if I were to be truthful about my drug history.  As expected I went in nervous as hell, I imagine most people probably are.  I picked my spot on the wall that I would stare at for the entirety of my test, I bit the hell out of the side of my tongue for the control questions, I controlled my breathing as best as I could.  Still though, I could feel my heart racing at certain times and tried in desperation to control my reactions....not good....I failed, but I failed in a way I never would have imagined.  Although I did knowingly lie about drug use I was told I failed for 1) drug use 2) theft 3) criminal activity 4) domestic violence.  I was blown away by the last three failures and can't account as to how and why I would have failed them, especialy the criminal activity and domestic violence.  For an early twenty-something this was an eye-opening and nerve-racking experience that I would wish on no-one.  I wish each and every person who is polygraphed the best of luck but there is no guarantee you will pass....even if you tell the truth....I've found out first hand.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kane
New User

Re: I lied - I failed
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 7:50pm
AC,

While I do emphatize with you in regards to the hell of a polygraph test, I have to say that I am very thankful that you will not be a LEO anytime soon.

If you are willing to lie in order to get a LEO job, you have no business being a LEO.  These words may be harsh, however I think you understand why.

If you are willing to lie simply to get a job, what else will you lie about?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ACMilan978
New User

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:36pm
I do understand where you are coming from Kane but at the same time you must realize the situation as it presented itself.  Like many individuals in college I experimented with drug usage, mainly marijuana, but I had also tried ecstacy once, mushrooms once, and cocaine once.  The last three items are means for immediate disqualification for entry into almost every law enforcement organization.  While I do realize that the choices were willingly made by myself, I by no means am an active user of any of the above substances and experimented with them several years ago....which left me with only the option of having to lie in order to have the possibility become a LEO.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 3:03am
I assume AC posted because he failed the prior theft, criminal activity and domestic violence portions of the test even though he was being truthful in those areas, which confirms the inaccuracy of the polygraph.  In any event, it is probably for the best that he did not pass.  There are departments that would not have automatically disqualified AC for his past drug use, and he should have applied to one of those departments and been honest.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:51am
darkcobra2005 wrote on Nov 3rd, 2005 at 11:47pm:
Your post indicates that polygraph worked.  That is strange that you would actually post that in this forum.   

That being said, it is good that you are not using the substances you described in your post, however there are residual effects from some of the drugs you mentioned and it would not be safe for you to be a LEO.

Good luck in other persuits. 

Cobra,

Do you mean that the polygraph worked in AC's case  through intimidation? AC says he only lied about drug use, but also failed on theft, criminal activity and domestic violence. That's only one out of four. How do you explain this?   

AC,

I have to agree with rcop on this one. It is a good thing that you were not hired as an officer. You have no business being in LE when it's obvious that you believe that the rules don't apply to you. You didn't meet the qualifications of the dept., but figured you'd just apply anyway and lie about your past drug use instead of  telling the truth. That quality with a badge is a dangerous combination.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mike521
New User

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 6:40am
just want to point out, it seems to be the consensus that someone who would lie shouldn't be a police officer

when interrogating suspects, cops aren't exactly the most brutally honest people in the world, and it's pointed out in the lie behind the lie detector that the first thing a polygrapher does when "prepping" you for a polygraph is lie to you about the true nature of the test, so if your polygrapher is a cop, he's probably lying to you, or at least stretching the truth to it's limits

that being said, my dad is a police officer here and I know for a fact that MANY of the guys he spoke to lied through their teeth on their polygraph, passed, and are now cops. that's not to say that lying is acceptable -- but are all these guys not fit to be cops because they lied? I don't think you can say that with certainty because every case is different.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ContraTyrannos
New User

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 6:06am
This is the slippery slope argument, and it's a classical fallacy. Have you ever driven your car over the speed limit? Well, what other laws are you willing to break? It's easy to have contempt for degree, but it's also lazy. Plato teaches that certain lies are necessary, even noble. The good, in the last analysis, is higher in dignity than the true. You shouldn't be unjustly held back from your chosen career because you smoked pot more than 15 times when you were in high school, or because you experimented with LSD, if you are no longer a drug user (with the exception of alcohol because we all know that alcoholism is rampant in fire and law enforcement). A polygraph doesn't see into your soul, and it's not an interrogation that is designed to help you. In the absence of any proof of wrong doing, they should not be obsessing over things that happened in your past. Human beings are not static, they are dynamic, which means that in a very real sense, you are no longer the person you were yesterday, let alone 10 years ago. If you tell them what they want to hear to get the job, it doesn't mean you're a bad person. It means you don't think they were worthy of asking you the question in the first place. They don't hook you up to a polygraph machine because they are wise. 

kane wrote on Nov 3rd, 2005 at 7:50pm:
AC,

While I do emphatize with you in regards to the hell of a polygraph test, I have to say that I am very thankful that you will not be a LEO anytime soon.

If you are willing to lie in order to get a LEO job, you have no business being a LEO.  These words may be harsh, however I think you understand why.

If you are willing to lie simply to get a job, what else will you lie about?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 6:08am
Why? He's either worthy of being a cop or he's not. 

rcop wrote on Nov 4th, 2005 at 3:03am:
I assume AC posted because he failed the prior theft, criminal activity and domestic violence portions of the test even though he was being truthful in those areas, which confirms the inaccuracy of the polygraph.  In any event, it is probably for the best that he did not pass.  There are departments that would not have automatically disqualified AC for his past drug use, and he should have applied to one of those departments and been honest.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 6:19am
Blind obedience to rules is not what makes a good law enforcement officer. To make good decisions, you sometimes have to choose the lesser of two evils. The world isn't binary and neither is police work.

polyfool wrote on Nov 4th, 2005 at 4:51am:

I have to agree with rcop on this one. It is a good thing that you were not hired as an officer. You have no business being in LE when it's obvious that you believe that the rules don't apply to you. You didn't meet the qualifications of the dept., but figured you'd just apply anyway and lie about your past drug use instead of  telling the truth. That quality with a badge is a dangerous combination.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Dec 18th, 2005 at 6:27am
Exactly. Everyone lies, especially the man who claims that he does not. The question is whether your lies are noble or ignoble, justified or not justified, self serving or for a greater good. There are good lies and there are bad truths. It takes a wise man to discern the difference, but a thinking person can separate the wise man from the hustler.

Mike521 wrote on Nov 4th, 2005 at 6:40am:
just want to point out, it seems to be the consensus that someone who would lie shouldn't be a police officer

when interrogating suspects, cops aren't exactly the most brutally honest people in the world, and it's pointed out in the lie behind the lie detector that the first thing a polygrapher does when "prepping" you for a polygraph is lie to you about the true nature of the test, so if your polygrapher is a cop, he's probably lying to you, or at least stretching the truth to it's limits

that being said, my dad is a police officer here and I know for a fact that MANY of the guys he spoke to lied through their teeth on their polygraph, passed, and are now cops. that's not to say that lying is acceptable -- but are all these guys not fit to be cops because they lied? I don't think you can say that with certainty because every case is different.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 8:01pm
So much for the expertise you received from this group huh?

IP Logged

I lied - I failed

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X