Normal Topic Federal PDD Examiner Handbook (Read 25308 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Federal PDD Examiner Handbook
Nov 1st, 2005 at 8:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
An early version of the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute's Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handbook (dated 1 December 1998 and marked "For Official Use Only") may be downloaded here (299kb PDF):

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/federal-polygraph-handbook-01-12-1998.pdf

According to the Department of Defense's polygraph program report to Congress for fiscal year 1998:

Quote:
In Fiscal Year 1998, the Department published a handbook for all federal polygraph examiners which sets forth standardized techniques and procedures for conducting polygraph examinations. The handbook also outlines a Quality Assurance Program (QAP) wherein DODPI inspects federal polygraph programs to ensure compliance with both those techniques and procedures taught at DODPI and the continuing education requirements established by the polygraph community for polygraph examiners.

In 2002, AntiPolygraph.org requested the then current version of the Handbook (which was by then dated 3 July 2001) under the Freedom of Information Act. However, the Defense Security Service (DSS), DoDPI's then parent agency, withheld most of the Handbook. Those portions that were released may be downloaded here (1mb PDF):

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/federal-polygraph-handbook.pdf

Interestingly, DSS went so far as to redact certain items from the Handbook's glossary (no doubt in consultation with DoDPI). A comparison of the glossaries of the 1998 and 2001 versions reveals the "secret" definitions that DoDPI didn't want the public to know:

Quote:
Breakdown Test - [only the second half of this definition was redacted] A test conducted to verify an examinee’s statement regarding an issue after specific responses to one question have been observed and recorded during a screening examination. The issue is separated from the remaining test questions and a breakdown test is conducted. To devise appropriate breakdown questions, divide the issue into its logical components and design a question to cover each key area. The breakdown test can be conducted using an R/I format, or a comparison question format. If the results of the breakdown test clear the issue for which the test was conducted, a clearing test should be conducted.

Comparison Question - A question which is designed to produce a physiological response. The physiological responses of the comparison questions are compared to the physiological responses of the relevant questions.
The probable and directed lie are the two types of comparison questions utilized within the federal government.

Overall Truth Question - An optional question which may be utilized in an R/I question format. It is similar to the sacrifice relevant question in the comparison question format. It is intended to elicit a physiological response which may be indicative of the examinee’s overall response capability.

Probable Lie Comparison (PLC) Question - A question designed to be a probable lie for the examinee. The DLC question should be similar in nature but unrelated to the specific crime or issue being tested. The question should be
separated from the relevant issue by either time, place or category. The comparison question should use the same action verb or similar in nature action verb as that of the relevant issue. A comparison question should be broad in
scope and time so that it captures as many of the examinee's past life experiences as possible.

Stimulus Question - A question which may be utilized in an R/I question format to determine the examinee’s overall capacity for response.

Also worth noting, the 2001 edition added two chapters not included in the 1998 edition: Chapter XVI (CI-Scope Polygraph Test) and Chapter XVII (Field Rank Order Scoring System).
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2005 at 3:26pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: Federal PDD Examiner Handbook
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 8:53pm
A newer version (dated 1 March 2004) of the federal polygraph handbook, formally titled the "Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handbook" and published under the rubric of the DoD Counterintelligence Field Activity (the new parent agency of the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute) may be downloaded here:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/federal-polygraph-handbook-01-03-2004.pdf

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2006 at 11:10am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 9:51pm
George:

How did you get a copy of the handbook?
Just curious.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 10:14pm
retcopper wrote on Apr 11th, 2006 at 9:51pm:
George:

How did you get a copy of the handbook?
Just curious.

It was provided by a source who prefers to remain anonymous.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 9:29pm
George,

Thanks for another fine addition to my library !!!
Your source is most gracious for providing such great reading.  It is most interesting ... I do wonder just how many PDD examiners cussed when you posted this.
I bet there was no happy faces in polygraph Ville !!
hehehe  Grin

Regards   .....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:47pm
EosJupiter wrote on Apr 13th, 2006 at 9:29pm:
George,

Thanks for another fine addition to my library !!!
Your source is most gracious for providing such great reading.  It is most interesting ... I do wonder just how many PDD examiners cussed when you posted this.
I bet there was no happy faces in polygraph Ville !!
hehehe  Grin

Regards   .....

Eos,

I too have thanked Mr. Mashke for providing these two documents.  I have saved them to my hard drive for easy access.   

I do have a small comment about your posting.  After reading both documents cover to cover, I don't see where the posting of these documents should upset any polygraph examiner.  After all, the federal polygraph handbook simply provides a generic listing of the techniques used by government polygraph programs, and the chart analysis handout doesn't provide anything that cannot be obtained from all sorts of other sources.

As I stated earlier, I truly believe these documents help the examiners who read this site much more than any layman who happens to come across them.

Regards, 

Nonombre Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 6:45am
I am amazed that anyone can read this and continue to have faith in the polygraph. "Apnea is a strong indicator or deception"? are you F@#$-ing kidding me?

Apnea is a strong indicator of apnea. this is such hogwash. I cant stand it. 

I can still remember feeling my pulse race when asked about selling drugs. I have never sold any drugs. But when you are strapped in and and FBI guy is asking you this shit and you know its do or die, well.....

its just stupidity that these people believe they know that apnea or whatever else is linked to deception and not 1 of 1000 other things that can cause the SAME REACTIONS.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #7 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 6:03am
nonombre wrote on Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:47pm:

Eos,

I too have thanked Mr. Mashke for providing these two documents.  I have saved them to my hard drive for easy access.  

I do have a small comment about your posting.  After reading both documents cover to cover, I don't see where the posting of these documents should upset any polygraph examiner.  After all, the federal polygraph handbook simply provides a generic listing of the techniques used by government polygraph programs, and the chart analysis handout doesn't provide anything that cannot be obtained from all sorts of other sources.

As I stated earlier, I truly believe these documents help the examiners who read this site much more than any layman who happens to come across them.

Regards, 

Nonombre Smiley

NoNombre,

There is an assumption here, that I am a mere layman. Not an assumption most who know me would advocate. 
These two documents are another addition to filling in the holes ... for what, well you will see  Smiley 

Regards ... hehehe 

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 5:04pm
EosJupiter wrote on Apr 16th, 2006 at 6:03am:

NoNombre,

There is an assumption here, that I am a mere layman. Not an assumption most who know me would advocate. 
These two documents are another addition to filling in the holes ... for what, well you will see  Smiley 
Regards ... hehehe 

Eos,

I certainly would never call YOU a "layman."  I think you are a pretty knowledgeable guy...

As for the "filling in the holes."  Hmmm, I admit, you have sparked my interest.

Aw c'mon, give me a hint... Roll Eyes

Nonombre

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #9 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 6:42am
nonombre wrote on Apr 16th, 2006 at 5:04pm:

Eos,

I certainly would never call YOU a "layman."  I think you are a pretty knowledgeable guy...

As for the "filling in the holes."  Hmmm, I admit, you have sparked my interest.

Aw c'mon, give me a hint... Roll Eyes

Nonombre

NoNombre,

The answer you seek has always been before you !!! But first I must finish my current journey, once complete I will finish this mission too !!   Grin

Regards !!! 

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 10:37am
A new edition of the federal polygraph handbook, formally titled the "Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handbook" and dated 2 October 2006, may be downloaded here:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/federal-polygraph-handbook-02-10-2006.pdf&nbs...;

This edition includes a new section (Chapter 18) on countermeasures.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 5:54pm
Yes, thanks, George. Now I can alternate between The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and this Federal PDD Examiner Handbook to help with my occasional insomnia.   Grin

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #12 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 8:02am
Quote:
A new edition of the federal polygraph handbook, formally titled the "Federal Psychophysiological Detection of Deception Examiner Handbook" and dated 2 October 2006, may be downloaded here:

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/federal-polygraph-handbook-02-10-2006.pdf&nbs...;

This edition includes a new section (Chapter 18) on countermeasures.

George,

Thanks for this fine addition to my polygraph information library. It will be put to good use. I found chapter 18 most interesting and hilarious. The funniest part being the MSD (Motion Sensor Devices).  Of note is that nothing about the use of mental countermeasures is even mentioned or interpreted as being collectable. This speaks volumes.  I consider this similar to fly fishing with an accordion. Makes alot of noise, but nothing is caught. The other important thing is the attempt by the polygrapher to mask and be non-accusatory if a subject has polygraph knowlege. Like anyone of consequence and audacity would cough up that information. Its great to have the opponents play book. The other thing to note is that any credits in the bibliography are extremely dated, 1999 being the newest data published. And a majority of the works cited are just polygrapher studies for polygraphers . Nothing notable or of any scientific validity.  If this is the best they got, then DODPI truly does live up to the trade school accreditation. 

Regards .....
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2007 at 9:39am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Federal PDD Examiner Handbook

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X