Normal Topic Case Officer profile (Read 3671 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ciajunkiee
New User

Case Officer profile
Oct 28th, 2005 at 9:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Are people here really willing to give up their normal lifes in the US in order to live abroad, lead a mundane life as a Case Officer and make $60k a year? 

Does living in another city for 2-5 years really sound that inticing? Especially given that you'd be working sometimes 60-80 hours a week and would have little to no contact with your friends and family back home? 

Sounds like an absurd proposition.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mercible
New User

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Re: Case Officer profile
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:14pm
My thoughts exactly!  I can make as much or more in the business world, only work 40 hours a week with vacation, full benefits and plenty of other non-monetary perks. 

Now, I understand people want to serve their country, but I truely believe you have to be a thrill seeker to want to work as a case officer overseas.   

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:41pm
Well, I guess it depends. Some spies are key in organizing revolutions overseas. Although I disagree with the notion of overthrowing any democratically elected government, some spooks feel a sense of pride in being part of history. For instance, some argue that Allende's government in Chile was brought down by American spies (CIA).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mercible
New User

Darkcobra IS my Father!

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 10:19pm
True, but the how does a person develop the desire to work in that field to begin with?  What I know about being a "spook" is primarily derived from Tom Clancy novels, so forgive me for speculating.

I would think it begins with a sense of patriotism, but that alone can't be it.  To me, the most obvious ways of acting out your patriotism is to join the military or run for office.  But working in the intelligence community, you can't proudly beat your chest and say, "See, look what I did!"  You are sworn to silence forever.  Normally, the names of those who become part of history don't include the spies, unless they are caught.   

How sad that the folks who tend to have the greatest impact can never be known to the public.  I certainly applaud them for their work.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov 1:7

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 11:21pm
Mercible,

You are correct. If there is any glory in the career of a spy, it will have to be kept secret. I think one of the most negative aspects of any spy, is the fact that there career experience cannot be shared with anyone.

Opp 

IP Logged

Case Officer profile

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X