Normal Topic I had my poly yesterday! (Read 4299 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MontBell
New User

I had my poly yesterday!
Oct 27th, 2005 at 6:59pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I had my Poly yesterday, and I have no idea how it went.... So any expert opinion will be greatly appreciated. 

I arrived early, wanted until the candidate in front of me was finished, where I was the called to the back for the beginning of the interegation. He ran over the basic question, where he wrote down the questions and answer on a piece of paper (name, age, place of birth, etc...) And very strangely, none of this was used once I was attached to the Machine....
why?
He then proceeded to explain the machine to me, and how accurate it was. How he had saved the innocent from being convicted, 98% of liars are caught, the other 2% are stoned or drunk, yada yada yada. 

We then went over the questions he would ask, only 8 of them. 
Used drugs since 2000? 
commited a felony I didnt get caught for? 
Lie to get someone else in trouble? 
Lie about anything serious? (I made him define serious, ie burning down a building)
Before 2004 have you stolen anything over 5 dollars in value? (why before 2004? Is it an irrelevant piece of info?)
Stolen anything from an employer worth over 50 dollars at one time? 
Sold drugs? 
Do I intend to lie on this test?

That is it, no more, no less. I gave him my answers, and then he proceeded to attach the machine to me. 

I focused on something on the wall very intently, and the test began. He asked the 8 question with about 30 seconds between each one. After the first round he let the pressure out of the BP cuff, and let "blood go back to my arm." But I think he just wanted to see if my breathing pattern changed when I "wasnt being tested. " (am I correct in that logic?)

The test started again, same questions, different order. followed by 45 seconds of my being attached but "not being tested anymore" (again, I think to see if my breathing pattern changed)

And that was it, he took the machine off of me, said I did fine, he didnt see any problem, walked me out and I was gone. 25 minutes, door to door. 

No Stim test, no hammering on one particular topic, no true control questions, I dont know what to think. He said that he thought i passed just fine, but to be fair he had to get another polygrapher to look at the chart, congratulated me. But that is the exact same thing I heard he say to the candidate he was walking out right before I walked in!

So I dont know anything! what is the word?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Re: I had my poly yesterday!
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 8:40pm
I believe the question of "lying to get someone in trouble" is indeed a control question. As well as lied about anything serious.  Others may correct me if i am wrong.

Anxiety

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 9:05pm
Montbell wrote: (quotation includes numbers I have added)
Quote:
We then went over the questions he would ask, only 8 of them.  
1. Used drugs since 2000?  
2. commited a felony I didnt get caught for?  
3. Lie to get someone else in trouble?  
4. Lie about anything serious? (I made him define   serious, ie burning down a building) 
5. Before 2004 have you stolen anything over 5 dollars in value? (why before 2004? Is it an irrelevant piece of info?) 
6. Stolen anything from an employer worth over 50 dollars at one time?  
7. Sold drugs?  
8. Do I intend to lie on this test? 

I will number your questions according to their order.  The control questions were numbers  3, 4, 5 & 8.  All others would seem to be relevant questions.  George, Darkcobra, Dr. Richardson and some others may provide information to the contrary which would be better relied upon (all have more knowledge regarding polygraph than myself).

Quote:
25 minutes, door to door.  

Well this certainly is not an acceptable time frame for any test of which I am aware.  Minimum is supposed to be 90 minutes.  You will probably be fine as it would appear your examiner doesn't take his/her job seriously (not that it would really matter if he/she did).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:22am
Let's put it this way - if you speak like you spell, you're screwed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 9:33am
MontBell,

I concur with Brandon's assessment with the exception that question #8 was likely a sacrifice relevant question, not a "control" question.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 11:03pm
Eastwood wrote:
Quote:
Let's put it this way - if you speak like you spell, you're screwed.

Well now, that certainly was a useless addition to this thread.  Thank you for adding your two wooden nickels (utterly worthless).

George wrote:
Quote:
MontBell, 

I concur with Brandon's assessment with the exception that question #8 was likely a sacrifice relevant question, not a "control" question.

In retrospect and upon re-reading the information, I agree with you in regard to question 8.

Darkcobra:

The time frame provided for the polygraph exam sounds a little short and more in line with chart roller wouldn't you agree?  That is unless the time frame  explained was limited only to the in-test.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 8:13am
darkcobra2005 wrote on Oct 30th, 2005 at 4:44am:
25 minutes door to door is chart rolling and the examiner should be dismissed in my humble opinion, that was not a polygraph examination, it was a fraud.

All CQT polygraphy is fraud.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MontBell
New User

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:29am
I absolutely appreciate everyone's help! It makes me feel much more confident of what happened. 

It is a stressful position to begin with, then throw in an absurd time table and I was racking my brain trying to figure out what the hell happened. 

I appreciate everyone's confidence in that I passed. 

Could someone explain what a chart roller is? 

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 7:49am
"Chart roller" is a derogatory term used by some polygraphers to describe other polygraphers whom they believe administer hasty polygraph examinations without following generally accepted polygraph practice. However, there is no evidence that the polygraph results of a "chart roller" are any less reliable than those of the most fastidious members of the American Polygraph Association. The problem is that the underlying procedure has no scientific basis to begin with.

It matters little whether an astrologer spends five minutes or five hours consulting his star charts before offering a reading. It's all flimflam from the get-go. The same is true with regard to polygraph chartgazing.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

I had my poly yesterday!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X