Normal Topic Asking about sealed records (Read 3423 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box username
New User

Asking about sealed records
Oct 26th, 2005 at 5:22am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi everyone,

I know that law enforcement agencies routinely ask prospective employees ask about past arrests. The problem is that sometimes the records of the arrests have been sealed, and the person have the legal right to deny that the arrest ever occurred. In particular, I'm thinking of juvenile records sealed under California law. Using a polygraph is a way to get around the fact that  they have no right to know about the arrests. I'm trying to figure out if there are any limits to what they are allowed to ask. Any ideas would be appreciated!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Re: Asking about sealed records
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 3:10am
username,

I'm under the impression that sealed records are irrelevant when it comes to seeking a security clearance. The FBI asks applicants have you EVER been arrested for anything even if the charges were dismissed or dropped--even for a speeding ticket.  From my personal experience, when you are talking about a security clearance with the federal government, they can and will ask you just about anything they want AND it won't be just you they'll ask--they'll ask your former neighbors and co-workers just about anything they want, too. I would imagine ANY law enforcement agency would want to know about your juvenile record. I think the legal standing you are referring to only applies in the private sector employment arena. Some LE agencies may overlook a juvy record depending on what it is. They won't, however,  overlook witholding the information. 

Perhaps, soon to be lawyer, Eosjupiter could provide more legal info on the matter??

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 3:51am
Thanks for your reply.

I know that CA law does not allow potential law enforcement employers to get access to sealed juvenile records. There are some exceptions that allow certain people to access sealed juvenile records, but law enforcement employers are not included in that list. (I think the rule is different if they were adult records sealed under some other authority.) I don't think this applies to federal agencies, who can basically do whatever they want.

The thing is, if your juvenile records have been sealed (in CA), as far as the law is concerned, the contents of those records never happened and you have a right to deny them under all circumstances. If a polygraph is used, it will appear that you are lying (to the extent that polygraph tests are accurate), even though legally speaking, you're not. They shouldn't be able to ask about things that the law says they aren't allowed to know.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 4:18am
username wrote on Oct 27th, 2005 at 3:51am:

I don't think this applies to federal agencies, who can basically do whatever they want.

The thing is, if your juvenile records have been sealed (in CA), as far as the law is concerned, the contents of those records never happened and you have a right to deny them under all circumstances. If a polygraph is used, it will appear that you are lying (to the extent that polygraph tests are accurate), even though legally speaking, you're not. They shouldn't be able to ask about things that the law says they aren't allowed to know.

username,

I agree. They shouldn't be able to ask about things the law says are off limits. The FBI doesn't play by the rules other agencies are expected to follow. The case may be  different with other  law enforcement agencies. 

You should be even more concerned about submitting to a pre-employment polygraph because they don't work. Just because you tell the truth , doesn't mean you'll pass. Do yourself a favor and do some poly research on this site before allowing your fate to be determined by this  unfair, worthless so-called testing procedure.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 4:25am
Without going into too much detail, I'm asking on behalf of someone else, who was already denied employment.

IP Logged

Asking about sealed records

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X