Normal Topic Breathing - please help! (Read 5918 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Panama_Jack
New User

Breathing - please help!
Jul 29th, 2005 at 3:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi! 

I read TLBTLD and have a question about breathing. TLBTLD states that one should control their breathing as to take even breaths lasting 2 - 4 seconds. In this sense, it seems that one should control their breathing from the initial moment one is hooked up to the machine all the way until you are unhooked. Can one not be conscious of their breathing and only alter their breathing pattern during control questions? In other words, does one really have to be conscious of their breathing throughout the whole time they hooked up? I am concerned that I will not be able to control my breathing in a manner that will not raise any suspicion from the examiner. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Re: Breathing - please help!
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 7:28am
My understanding is as follows:  In order to apply a breathing countermeasure you must be conscious of your breathing at all times while "hooked up."  Yes you want to provide breathing variations for control questions, but you would want to maintain a consistently even pattern in all other portions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dr_copp
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 1:14am
Be aware that whether or not you are consciously controlling your breathing, or just breathing normally, the polygraph examiner may tell you that you’re are breathing too slow, fast, abnormally, etc… The first couple of polygraphs I took (which I passed legitimately) the examiner told me I was breathing too slow and implied I was doing it on purpose.  However, I was just breathing normally.  This is just a ploy to try to get you to admit to using countermeasures.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Smokey
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 2:55am
I will be looking at taking the Ploygraph, I mean POLYgraph, for a LEO position sometime in the not so distant future and am concerned about my breathing.  Let me reitterate that I have nothing to hide (other than minor MJ usage as a teenager which I am, and have been, honest about).  However, I plan on using the breathing CM's (2-4 second) to avoid the risks of a false positive.  My concern here is that I am sure I won't be able to whithstand the entire poly without taking a deep breath, but I don't want that to count against me.  I know I read somewhere possible TLBTLD, that such movements as a deep breath or sneeze will be overlooked, but I just wanted to make sure.   

Thanks,

Smokey.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cesium_133
Senior User

Mendacium est dicere "Animum
tuum lego!"

Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:55am
On the last poly I took, I made the mistake of admitting that I was controlling my breathing.  Now, I honestly thought the guy wanted "regular" breathing, for that is what he told me to do.  The polygrapher may have been rusing me, or he may actually have had the machine on in accusing me- I don't know.  (The reason I don't know is my probation officer asked me later if the guy ran the test on me, implying he may not have or in any case did not tell him the results).

IMHO, I would have to say that breathing CM's, unless you can really convolute them and do patterns within patterns, etc, are less desirable than mental CM's.  I don't want to step on George's toes on this one, but it seems logical.

The polygrapher can always accuse you, whether he thinks you are using CM's or not.  Also, if you totally control your breathing (which I did), I would have to give the interrogator the benefit that he can make out a single-layer pattern (like a consistent amplitude -and- frequency, which I did) or a diminishing amplitude pattern followed by apnea.  Certainly, I think, he could make out a decreasing or increasing frequency pattern.  Since breathing is controllable, and the ploy (oops, poly) guy knows this, I would suggest going with something mental or otherwise invisible (which I will do).  I wouldn't take the risk of getting made.

Now, this is my sophomoric opinion and my own plan of action.  I have read TLBTLD twice, the DODPI manual, and most of this site, and that's it.  George and many of the more experienced posters here have more authority on this than do I, and if they disagree, I would defer to their views in a second... Smiley

Polygraphers escaped from among the evils of Pandora's box, which might have been an old analog polygraph... only God can tell whether you're lying or not, and He will judge you in His own time...
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SadderbutWiser
New User

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 11:16pm
I'm interested to hear if George or anyone else has thoughts on cesium_133's idea.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 7:34am
SadderbutWiser wrote on Feb 1st, 2006 at 11:16pm:
I'm interested to hear if George or anyone else has thoughts on cesium_133's idea.

I think it's likely that employing mental countermeasures will naturally result in an accompanying breathing reaction without the examinee having to think about it. However, one should nonetheless be mindful of one's breathing to avoid breathing too slowly or too quickly, or taking deep breaths, any of which may be interpreted by a polygrapher as (admittedly unsophisticated) countermeasure attempts.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box freem40
New User

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2006 at 9:40am
Looks like I will always be 2 steps behind. On questions where I was acvcused of lying, I took deppe breaths because a poly  I had taken before the guy told me everyone questing I was "lying to him" about. So naturally, going into the next polygraph, I as a normal person attempt to state the word NO with more conviction than the last time. Herein lies my problem I now understand. Also, can anyone tell me why it is that the agency I took the poly for made me close my eyes? Apparently it is SOP for this agency to do that, but being in a tiny room with a weird guy asking me sexual questions among others makes me a bit too uncomfortable having my eyes closed. At one point when we went through the questions for the second time, he had forgotten to tell me to close my eyes. We went about halfway through the test that time before he yelled at me for having my eyes open (he didnt trust me anymore because i followed his directions each time to the letter...and I could see on the Polygraph that the "red flags" were nowhere in sight when my eyes were open. What is the reasoning for this?

IP Logged

Breathing - please help!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X