Normal Topic CIA UNSUITABLE (Read 13755 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wallerstein
Senior User

CIA UNSUITABLE
Oct 19th, 2005 at 12:09am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well I'm crushed.  I was deemed unsuitable by the CIA.  Anyway, the letter from the CIA stated that I was determined unsuitable "at this time" and that I could reconsider applying in one year since time passage could be mitigating.  This is probably boilerplate stuff I suppose.

First question is:  does anyone think this is possible or am I just blackballed for life? (I only ask because working at the CIA is my dream job)

Next question:  The letter stated that I could affirm in future apps that I have never been denied a security clearance.  Only problem with that is that the SF 86 specifically asks "have you ever been investigated by the federal government?"  If yes you have to fill out the clearance obtained.

What are you supposed to fill out then?   George (or anyone) if you have some insight I would appreciate a response.  THanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bailyt
New User

Re: CIA UNSUITABLE
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 7:39am
Wallerstein, I'm sorry to hear that you did not get cleared. 

I am in a similar situation in that I am applying for a security clearance.  Do you know if a background investigation was actually conducted?  If it was, can I ask how long between the end of the investigation and them letting you know the bad news?  Best of luck, -B

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box longtimelistener
New User

Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 4:40pm
Hi Wallerstein...sorry to hear about the bad news.

Yeah, same question as above: how long after the polygraph and/or the completion of your BI did you get this unsuitable letter?

I am currently waiting for my security clearance (it has been 8 months since my COE and 4 months since the completion of my BI), and I get more nervous with each day.

Also, do you have any idea or guesses as to why you were deemed "unsuitable"?  Any past drug use, excessive alcohol use, extensive foreign travel, etc etc?

I am on pins and needles and fear a similar "suitability" letter...ugggh

Thanks for any light you can shed on the matter!

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 6:00pm
I was bonked 2 months after poly.  as far as I know, no BI was started.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyrized
User

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 2:32am
The CIA routinely uses the polygraph pre-employment screening to keep from spending money on full BIs.  There are citations to prove this and their own job advertisements differentiate between the BI and polygraph.

Although the 86 is unclear, when the investigator interviews you for your BI then I would definitely disclose your previous disqualification to avoid big problems later on.  Of course, you risk never getting the job and having an appeals process open to you because they can use items in the polygraph interview to decline the job based on vague 'suitability' considerations rather than security issues.

Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Beaner
New User

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 7:35am
I know this much - lie, or fail to tell the investigator on the SF86 about Agency ding'ing you and you will never get a clearance... fastest route to getting bounced - short of having a film of you handing secrets to the Soviets - is to lie to the investigation team...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyrized
User

Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 2:53pm
Beaner

There is no place on the 86 to indicate that a person had a COE rescinded after their pre-screening process.  It only asks if a person had a BI and states if the person is unsure they should answer 'no'.

Further - the subject of previously having had a COE rescinded may never even come up on a BI unless specifically brought up by the person who is being investigated.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 5:53pm
Beaner. Read what I wrote carefully.

I have no desire to lie to anyone.  I only want clarification.

I'll try this again, ok? 

Question 26A of SF 86 specifically asks if you have been investigated by the federal government.  If you answer yes the CLEAR PRESUMPTION by the question is that you received the clearance because it asks you to fill in the clearance received.

NOW, I was specifically told in my dinging letter that I could affirm that I was never denied a security clearance.  

So, the issue is YES I was investigated, but NO I WAS NOT denied a security clearance.  So, when I ANSWER YES on QUESTION 26A that YES I WAS INVESTIGATED, what do I fill in for Security clearance received?  

George, do you have any idea?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:12pm
Question #26 on SF-86 asks, "Has the United States Government ever investigated your background and/or granted you a security clearance?" Based on one of your earlier posts indicating that the CIA polygraphed you and suggesting that a background investigation had begun, I think you would have to answer this question "yes." You can provide an explanation in the continuation space at the end of the form, and use extra sheets of paper if necessary.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 6:26pm
I was polygraphed, but not BI was started.   

Thanks George.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box monsterinthecorner
New User

Reply #10 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 11:42pm
"unsuitable" means your personality profile is not compatible OR you need further "experience."  get a language.   do something to better yourself.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lookingforajob
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2005 at 2:19am
wallerstein-

i was also deemed unsuitable by CIA and am now applying to other agencies.

on the SF86, mark YES for have you ever been investigated by the gov't. having had the polygraph is enough to count as being "investigated." it does not matter that the BI had not started. in fact, someone else on this board was in your exact same situation many years ago, marked NO (because a BI had not started) and it came back to bite him in the ass 10 years later at the agency he's working at now.

see polyrized's post at: http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc;action=display;num=11...

when the form asked what clearance you received, just write N/A or something since you obviously never got one.

anyway, i don't know if being deemed unsuitable by CIA means we're blacklisted at other places or not... we shall see i suppose.

IP Logged

CIA UNSUITABLE

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X