Normal Topic CIA Poly (Read 7340 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sprint2005
New User

CIA Poly
Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm going into my third CIA Poly and haven’t talked about oral sex I paid for on 3 occasions...obviously I haven’t passed the first 2...should I admit it now and say I was embarrassed to talk about it/didn't think it was an issue.  It was never really a direct question but I'm assuming that it's what is on my mind that is causing me to fail it...there is nothing else that I've done that could be an issue other than cheating on my girlfriend that I've admitted to?   

Will doing so cause more harm or is it the right thing to do?

IP Logged

New User

Re: CIA Poly
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 1:22am
Well it never really came up...they just kept asking what else is ther and for some reason I didn't think it was that big a deal but I guess it is.   

I guess it was more of an embarrassment issue...is that a valid excuse.   

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 3:06am
on the last try he said i was having a problem with one question so we ran the test a third time...he sort of said it in passing but loud enough to hear.  He was clear in asking if I was willing to come back and I made it clear that I was.  I guess I will have to just suck it up and say it...totally not me anymore but I also didn't talk about it earlier so they are going to think I kept it from them, especially since it happened on 3 occasions.  They were very aggresive and dominated all conversation...had an attitude of you are not telling me the truth throughout.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 8:21am
sprint2005 wrote on Oct 12th, 2005 at 11:41pm:
I'm going into my third CIA Poly and haven’t talked about oral sex I paid for on 3 occasions...obviously I haven’t passed the first 2...should I admit it now and say I was embarrassed to talk about it/didn't think it was an issue.  It was never really a direct question but I'm assuming that it's what is on my mind that is causing me to fail it...there is nothing else that I've done that could be an issue other than cheating on my girlfriend that I've admitted to?   

Will doing so cause more harm or is it the right thing to do?

It is never in an applicant's self-interest to disclose derogatory information about him- or herself that would not be discovered in the course of a background investigation. Applicants do, however, have an ethical obligation to answer relevant questions truthfully. If the matter you mention is not actually responsive to any of the relevant questions, you have no ethical obligation to divulge it and would probably be wise not to.

You are wrong to assume that it is necessarily something on your mind that is causing you to "fail." Polygraphy has absolutely no scientific basis, and the polygraph cannot read your mind. Virtually everyone who sits for the CIA pre-employment polygraph is initially accused of deception and/or withholding information, badgered for admissions, and brought back for one or more "re-tests." The whole process is a massive bluff to get potentially disqualifying admissions.

Telling the truth is no guarantee that you'll pass, as you've already learned by experience. Providing unasked for information is no guarantee that you'll pass, either. But what you can be sure of is that any admissions you make will become a matter of permanent record, and despite any guarantees of confidentiality you may have received, may be disclosed to other federal agencies. (See the message thread, CIA Released My Sexual History.)

For related informed commentary, see Melissa Boyle Mahle on CIA Polygraph Policy. See also the CIA-related statements on the Personal Statements page. You'll also find relevant discussion of the CIA's use of polygraphy, as well as an exposition of the probable-lie "control question test" technique used by the CIA and many other agencies for pre-employment polygraph screening, in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2005 at 3:13pm
If you admit having paid for oral sex, you are going to fail and it will be part of your record.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 5:41am
You think I won't be cleared even if I admit to it and already have a DoD TS/SCI and have passed recent CI Poly's...this would be the only skeleton in my closet and I've never used drugs

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 10:10pm
From what I have heard the CIA WILL NOT hire anyone who has paid for sex (oral as well). I am telling you, if you admit to it, you are done. Anyone here will tell you that. It is also a good question for George. The CIA will also share this information.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:28am
What is a quality assurance level?  Is it a good thing if it went up?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 7:54am
Quote:
From what I have heard the CIA WILL NOT hire anyone who has paid for sex (oral as well). I am telling you, if you admit to it, you are done. Anyone here will tell you that. It is also a good question for George.

I have not heard of this before.

Quote:
The CIA will also share this information.

That's a safe bet.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bailyt
New User

Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 12:45am
Just curious, how much time passed between your 2nd and 3rd polygraph.  Was it before or after a BI? -b

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:18am
Quote:

It is never in an applicant's self-interest to disclose derogatory information about him- or herself that would not be discovered in the course of a background investigation. Applicants do, however, have an ethical obligation to answer relevant questions truthfully. If the matter you mention is not actually responsive to any of the relevant questions, you have no ethical obligation to divulge it and would probably be wise not to.

"Great" advice George - your response has told me everything i need to know about you.  This guy obviously had it on his mind and, very clearly, it's causing him a problem on a test that he really shouldn't have to worry about - your advice to withhold it is asinine.   

Edited to correct coding problem (reply was within quote) -- AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2005 at 7:29am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:20am
Do what you want, but George's advice is DEAD WRONG.  If you think it's caused you a problem on the tests, tell them.  George sure isn't looking out for your best interest - or anyone else's.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:42am
Eastwood wrote on Oct 28th, 2005 at 3:20am:
Do what you want, but George's advice is DEAD WRONG....

Prove it.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

CIA Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X