Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) CIA application (Read 36682 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wallerstein
Senior User

CIA application
Oct 7th, 2005 at 6:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If the CIA starts its background investigation does this mean that they've passed you on the poly?  I imagine so because they probably wouldn't waste the time, correct?   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NSAreject
Senior User

Re: CIA application
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 9:35pm
Since the poly is used as an initial screening tool, sounds
like you are good to go...

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:14pm
Thanks for the quick reply.  I appreciate it.  basically i was worried because they made me take it twice and said i might have to come in for a third.  I understand that's par for the course but overall it was a horrible experience.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AngryinNY
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2005 at 4:28am
Actually, they might still call you back fora third one after the background check. That was the case for me!

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 6:00pm
Great.  How often does that happen? Anyone have any idea?  AngryinNY, did you eventually get in or did they bonk you? 

Anyone have any idea what % CIA rejects after the background is completed?  In other words, what % are rejected after the poly and then what % are rejected after the background?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box AngryinNY
New User

Reply #5 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 3:22am
Yup, I eventually got in. Though if I had any idea of how long the process was going to take I don't think I would have waited! I've since moved on. By the way, they never told me I "passed" the polygraph--but I guess failing it isn't ALWAYS reason to be dismissed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box longtimelistener
New User

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 4:52pm
Hi AngryinNY,

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to get your clearance after the completion of the polygraph and/or BI?

I am currently 8 months from my COE and 4 months since the conclusion of the BI, and I still haven't heard anything.

Each time I call for an update they change the expected waiting time (originally from 4-6 months total, to 6-9 months total...and now they are saying it could be "a couple months more").

Did you have this same experience?  When should I finally expect to hear from them?!?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box missnina
New User

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 10:08pm
It's odd because my BI was almost complete when they called me in for the poly. [My BI examiner said my BI was due to the agency on Dec 2. and my poly and health visits were from Nov 28-30).   

I wonder if this is a good thing?  I never "passed" the poly (after 2 sessions), but I'm trying to remain optimistic.   

BTW, did any of you get to do office visits?  I did the office visit and it was awesome, but I noticed that many of the other applicants weren't scheduled for one. hmm...

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 10:32pm
I got to do an office visit.  In fact, almost all (if not all) of the other people that I spoke to who were getting processed at the same time as me had office visits scheduled.

My BI was completed shortly after my poly and health tests too.  I went in for my poly early in May (around 7th-8th) and my BI was started that same weekend (I know this b/c I had received a call from my investigator asking me to clarify some things).  During my BI interview, my investigator told me that he would be done with my investigation by June 1.  I guess I don't have too many bones in my closet, but I guess I thought the BI would take longer than 3 weeks!

missnina,
I thought that if you did not pass the poly the first two times, they would offer you a third and final opportunity to take the test.  Did they not do that with you?  And also, did the polygrapher specifically say, "you did not pass the poly"?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 11:21pm
No, the poly officer did not say that I didn't pass.  She went through the usual, "This is unresolved... what are you hiding?!"  routine for hours to the point that I almost cried.  When she did the debriefing at the end she said that I could possibly be called in for a third poly. Then she took off the cuff off and shot a perky smile and "So, how was it?"  like we just finished a dental check-up or something.  Creepy.

One of the HR ladies at my potential office said that they would try to resolve any issues they had through my BI, if that wasn't possible they might call for a third poly.   

Longtimelistener (and others?):  Did your poly officer tell you that you passed?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 11:56pm
My memory is starting to get fuzzy.  For a while I thought that the polygrapher had told me I passed.  But now I'm starting to wonder if he used those exact words.  It might be possible I determined in my mind that I passed because I wasn't called back for a second poly, without him really saying that I "passed."

However, I'm pretty sure he did say something along those lines.  I remember when he walked in after he left to "analyze" the charts and consult with his "supervisor," he told me I passed (or something along those lines).  To which I replied, "oh really?" (B/c he had just finished grilling me about a major crime history that doesn't exist in my background...so I thought they were getting this false impression of me).  And then he responded, "well, we could continue if you'd like..."  Anyway, I'm pretty sure he said that I passed, simply because of the reaction I remember having to what he said.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box opp
Senior User

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 6:48am
My examiner told me indirectly that I passed after I was grilled for almost four hours. He said that they may still call me back but it was not up to him to make that decision. I only had to take polygraph once. I got a call from the investigator about two weeks later so, I have a feeling that I passed. The investigation in now complete and from what I understand it has been submitted to the CIA for the final decision (adjudication). I have a good feeling about it but anxiety is running high. 

Question:   

What are the chances of them calling me back for another examination? I really don’t want to go thru this again. Is the rejection rate high in adjudication? 

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:55pm
I have the same question...  I know I'm in adjudication now and I've completed two inconclusive polys.  Even after my second poly the BI people were still calling my friends. Not sure whether this is good... 

Are there any readers out there who made it to adjudication and were not offered the job?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 5:31pm
I can’t speak from personal experience, but I do know that there are cases where applicants have entered adjudication and then were not offered the job (due to being rejected a security clearance).

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

The above link is a record of DoD cases that were initially denied a clearance during adjudication, for which the decision was later appealed.  I assume that if there are instances of applicants being rejected a clearance during adjudication for the DoD, the same can happen with the CIA.

However, I believe there is a “suitability” screening that occurs before a case is placed in adjudication.  There are a number of people who have posted who were rejected due to suitability issues before they ever entered into adjudication.

So I guess what I’m trying to say is that since you have entered adjudication, you have already cleared some obstacles, but you are not home free.

And also, I have been in adjudication for SIX MONTHS now!  I’ve been told this is normal, but I sometimes get the impression they just tell me what I want to hear.  In any case, expect sort of a long wait while they adjudicate your case…

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #14 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 2:34am
Quote:
Then she took off the cuff off and shot a perky smile and "So, how was it?"  like we just finished a dental check-up or something.  Creepy.

Sounds like a carefully refined interrogation tactic at work there. Such a statement (i.e. “was it”—as in past tense) was likely an attempt at reinforcing in your mind that the “test” was over (when it really wasn’t), as anything you say from the moment you walk in to the time you leave the building can (and will) be reported as derogatory info.

I would be willing to be that the friendly, non-confrontational females like this get a substantial amount more damaging admissions than threatening, abusive male interrogators.

I can’t imagine than even a substantial portion of sophisticated people uninformed about polygraphy fall for the in-your-face, finger pointing, shouting, cursing tough guy interrogation techniques used by the more obnoxious examiners. To me, this type of thing is readily transparent. If I were subjected to something like this, it would immediately put me into a very defensive position about volunteering of any info.

On the other hand, the approach where the examiner portrays him/herself as the applicant’s ally against the administration is a lot harder to pick up on. I’d be willing to be that some examiners with super refined skills here manage to best a few people with complete knowledge of the entire polygraph process. We cannot underscore enough that to make the mistake of believing that YOUR examiner is somehow different—no matter how nice he or she is—will likely have fatal results for your career path.

As George and I note in the book, smart polygraphers realize that you can catch far more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

IP Logged

CIA application

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X