Normal Topic Lateral movement in federal LE (Read 3134 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box swivel
New User

Lateral movement in federal LE
Oct 2nd, 2005 at 4:01am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Is lateral movement within agencies common? 

how would the acceptance process differ in this instance?

I ask because I'm currently knee-deep in the Marshals
process, but might ultimately consider employment in
FBI.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Lateral movement in federal LE
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 6:24am
Dear Swivel,

Been there, done it.  The acceptance process is extreme.  The FBI does not accept any one else's background check except for negative information which they will hold against you (even if it was over ten years ago and adjudicated by another agency).

Congress is hopping mad about the inability of federal agencies to accept other agencies' background checks.  It does not seem to matter to the FBI and they insist that "no one does it better then us" type of justification.

Final conclusion, do not hold your breath.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2005 at 8:45pm
Swivel,

To answer your question

Yes, lateral movement among federal agencies is quite common.  Fair Chance does make a point, however, that you will indeed have to go through another BI, regardless of the fact that you already have gone through one.  Also, with any fed job you usually will go through a BI every 5 years until you retire.

Some agencies make the lateral process easy and even match your current pay if it exceeds the starting pay for the position you applied for, but some don't.  I believe that the FBI is one of those, in that you start off as a GS-10 regardless of whether you were a GS-12 or GS-7 when they hire you.

If you do make it through the US Marshals process it will help you greatly in a lateral movement as their is this "mystique and prestige" that comes with that agency.   

Either way good luck.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box swivel
New User

Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2005 at 7:08pm
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I'm still toiling away as an undergrad and am applying for the Marshals co-op program through school with the expectation of employment upon completion of the program.  I'll pursue FBI as well, but given the order and timing of things, I may (hopefully) be employed by the Marshals at that time.

I've completed the medical, am awaiting the FIT, and the the BI is ongoing.  With luck, I'll respond again soon with good news.

Until then, thanks again.

IP Logged

Lateral movement in federal LE

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X