Normal Topic Polygrapher Patrick J. Kelleher Guilty of DUI (Read 9200 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Polygrapher Patrick J. Kelleher Guilty of DUI
Sep 29th, 2005 at 3:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
This appears to be Petersburg, Virginia P.D. polygrapher Patrick J. Kelleher's second DUI conviction:

Quote:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Common%2FMGArticle%2FPri...

Veteran police officer found guilty of DUI

BY ANDREW PRICE
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Sep 29, 2005

COLONIAL HEIGHTS -- A veteran Petersburg police officer was found guilty yesterday of driving under the influence in Colonial Heights.

Lt. Patrick J. Kelleher, 50, was also found guilty of refusing to take a breath test, but that charge was dropped when he agreed not to appeal the DUI charge in circuit court.

The 26-year veteran was found slumped over in the passenger seat of his truck with the vehicle running shortly after midnight on June 12 in the 200 block of Cameron Avenue.

The driver-side door was open and right, rear tire on the curb, testified Colonial Heights police officer Scott Whirley, who found Kelleher.

Whirley said when he woke Kelleher, his eyes were bloodshot, his face was red and he kept repeating that he was OK and that he was sorry.

Kelleher was "polite and cooperative," Whirley said.

Kelleher testified that he had six beers that evening over an eight-hour period -- four earlier in the night at a retirement party in Prince George County and two in Petersburg closer to the time of his arrest.

Kelleher said an argument with his son had caused severe heart pains. He took Xanax, as instructed by doctors, and said the last thing he remembers was putting the vehicle in park because "he couldn't drive any further with these chest pains."

Mike Jagels of Richmond was brought in as special prosecutor because Kelleher had previously conducted polygraph work for Colonial Heights.

Colonial Heights General District Judge Thomas L. Murphey issued a 12-month suspended jail sentence, three years probation, a $500 fine -- half of which was suspended, and revoked Kelleher's driver's license for one year.

Court proceedings also revealed Kelleher had a DUI conviction in Tennessee in 1998.

According to his attorney, Kelleher has been on suspension with Petersburg police. He did not comment as he left the courtroom.

Contact Andrew Price at (804) 524-9725 or aprice@timesdispatch.com

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Re: Polygrapher Patrick J. Kelleher Guilty of DUI
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 7:06pm
George:

What was your reason for posting this article. There are thousands of DUI arrests everyday so what is your point?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 2:22am
retcopper wrote on Sep 29th, 2005 at 7:06pm:
George:

What was your reason for posting this article. There are thousands of DUI arrests everyday so what is your point?

retcopper,

You honestly don't notice anything significant about the article? The Times-Dispatch certainly deemed it newsworthy enough to write an article about it. You're right, there are thousands of DUI arrests everyday, but just how many of them get a decent-sized write-up in a daily newspaper with a fairly large circulation? Not too many, huh? Maybe you should read the article a few more times in hopes of grasping the irony of the situation.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2005 at 3:52pm
Polyfool:

Fill me in.  I don;t see the importance of the posting.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 1:25am
Sounds like he's lying to me.

Quote:
Kelleher testified that he had six beers that evening over an eight-hour period -- four earlier in the night at a retirement party in Prince George County and two in Petersburg closer to the time of his arrest.

Kelleher said an argument with his son had caused severe heart pains. He took Xanax, as instructed by doctors, and said the last thing he remembers was putting the vehicle in park because "he couldn't drive any further with these chest pains."

Yeah, right.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 3:54am
retcopper wrote on Sep 30th, 2005 at 3:52pm:
Polyfool:

Fill me in.  I don;t see the importance of the posting.

Retcopper,

If you insist. A 26- year police veteran, sworn to uphold and enforce the law is convicted of DUI, not once, but twice in 7 years. He was also uncooperative with authorities during his most recent arrest by refusing to take a breath test. His story about 6 beers in 8 hours--yeah, right. Even better is the fact that he chased them with a couple of xanax because he had chest pains after an alleged fight with his son. I'm sure the doc didn't advise him to to mix the highly addictive, controlled drug with alcohol. No wonder he passed out at the wheel. To top it all off, Mr. Kelleher-- had once been a polygraph examiner--imagine that.   Wink  A law breaking liar trusted to determine whether examinees are telling the truth and judging their character and integrity, quite possibly affecting their freedoms. I wonder if he's ever passed a polygraph? Need I say more? This stuff is better than fiction--you honestly couldn't make it up. No wonder The Times-Dispatch bit on this story--it's a no brainer.

Why so sensitive? You mean to tell me you've never worked in a shop with a dirty cop? Even the most respectable law enforcment agencies have a rotten apple every once in a while. I hope I've enlightened you, now maybe you should lighten up.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Oct 2nd, 2005 at 5:31am
Ill have a crack at it, retcopper. Most of us on this board have been screwed by self righteous, arrogant police or LE polygraphers who call us spies, traitors, drug dealers and send us packing. No one wants to believe our stories because they want to believe in the infallibility of the poly and the cop as paragon of virtue. Stories like this unfortunately remind us that cops can be as full of shit as anybody.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 4:35pm
I can't believe what I'm reading about the article. You people expect  cops to be GOD. Your bias and hatred towards cops and polygrpahers is so obivous that I don;t need to respond. Your responses say it all.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 6:48pm
Retcopper,

Keep in mind that the original story appeared as a news report.  You, as well as everyone knows that when a cop gets in legal hot water it becomes a sensationalized news story.  Cops get "cooked" in the news media for offenses that go untold when committed by ordinary citizens.  You being a retired officer should realize the fact that officers are held to a higher standard (goes with the oath).  However, the importance of this story for the purposes of this site is because the subject in question is a polygrapher.  After the treatment some have received at the hands of a polygrapher (the reason for this site) it is fitting that the story appears here.  I read the story with a chuckle as this person got caught doing something wrong, whereas I got booted for an unfounded allegation of deception.  Yes sir, pretty funny in my opinion.

...and my bias for cops is quite clearly positive.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 9:06pm
Brandon:

Contrary to what you and others think cops/polygraphers  don't revel in other people's  misery.  We might think that a person gets what they deserve but we don't relish it.  The guy got convicted of a DUI. He was wrong and will  do his punishement. Just can't see the newsworthiness of this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brandon Hall
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 9:21pm
Retcopper wrote:
Quote:
Contrary to what you and others think cops/polygraphers  don't revel in other people's  misery.  We might think that a person gets what they deserve but we don't relish it.  The guy got convicted of a DUI. He was wrong and will  do his punishement. Just can't see the newsworthiness of this.

Again this was a newstory.  If you are unhappy with the light shed upon this man perhaps you should contact the newspaper editor and writer.

Also, thank you for your glaring assumption about my thoughts, even if it is incorrect.  The thought of cops relishing the misery of people is not one I had prior to your mention.  Actually it is the opposite of my belief.  I see human misery and loss daily.  Never once have I enjoyed that.  However, I have enjoyed helping people, to the best of my abilities, through these devastating times, much the same as I believe police officers do.  I also do not believe that polygraphers are all bad people who enjoy the misery of their subjects.  However, their misguided belief in the "science" they practice is a sticking point for me.  A false-positive and subsequent rejection seems to have that effect.

After watching this thread for sometime I decided to chime in and give you the answer to your question, "Why is this newsworthy."  Again please read this quote from my earlier post:
Quote:
You, as well as everyone knows that when a cop gets in legal hot water it becomes a sensationalized news story.  Cops get "cooked" in the news media for offenses that go untold when committed by ordinary citizens.  You being a retired officer should realize the fact that officers are held to a higher standard (goes with the oath).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #11 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 10:37pm
Brandon

This is a para. of an article from the New York Daily News that was emailed to me today.

"New Orleans P. D., which in the 1990s, had the dubious distenction of being the nation's most corrupt police force and the least effective: the city had the highest murder rate in America. More than 50 officers were eventually convicted of crimes including murder, rape,and robbery; two are currently on Death Row". This is going some when you include the Las Vegas PD.

retcopper doesn't consider this type thing newsworthy. Why? Because it concerns police. Evidently, he thinks crimes by police should be swept under the rug and NOT come to light. He won't say these articles should be included in news reports about the everyday crimes by the civilian population. He has a canned reply. "You are anti police".

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 4:31am
retcopper wrote on Oct 3rd, 2005 at 9:06pm:
Brandon:

That's why you're not in the news biz and are a Retcopper.  Wink I honestly don't understand why you're getting all bent out of shape over the article when you know good and well that Mr. Kelleher's former colleagues are saying to each other (in reference to him) what a pathetic dumbass! Why do you feel so sorry for Mr. Kelleher? You should be furious with his actions, since they unfairly reflect negatively on your former profession. As Brandon pointed out, he is held to a higher standard than the average person. Society expects more out of him because he has been entrusted with upholding and enforcing the law. While I certainly don't relish what happened to Mr. Kelleher, let's face it, he probabaly got what he deserved.

IP Logged

Polygrapher Patrick J. Kelleher Guilty of DUI

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X