Normal Topic Told the truth, failed the test (Read 4584 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gby
New User

Told the truth, failed the test
Sep 28th, 2005 at 7:05pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So here is my story - I was scheduled to take a poly as part of a job application. As part of the previous interview I have admitted to very minor drug use (smoked some pot in the past).

I was nervous about the test (for no good reason really) and read a lot of stuff about the poly exam. When I arrived to the test itself, the examiner told me which questions he is going to ask and I was very happy - I had no problem giving a truthfull answer to each and every one of them.

The one thing I was afriad of, which was that I will be asked regarding which of my friends I have smoked pot together in the past, was not a question and I even made a point to tell the examiner that I would prefer not to be asked about this and explained why (embarcement in betraying a friends trust).

I did not employ any counter measures what so ever - I thought I didn't need to, since I was telling the truth!

During the test, I fealt my heart pounding when answering the relevant questions, even though I told the truth and only the truth.

The examiner claimed I "failed" the test.

It's not such a big deal for me, but I sure got one thing for my trouble - I will never ever agree to take a so called "lie detector" test. They WILL fail a truth telling person!

G.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JB933
New User

Re: Told the truth, failed the test
Reply #1 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 11:29pm
The EXACT same thing happened to me a few weeks ago.  I was denied a job with a local LE agency because of it.  If they allow you to, go in and review your file and wite a letter to them about the experience.  It will go in your file in case you decide to re-apply.  Tough break, man.  Find an agency that uses the CVSA, you'll skate that.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Smokey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2005 at 10:30am
I applied at an agency back in April.  I took the CVSA and told the truth all the way through.  I was asked if I had ever used marijuana, which I told the truth, yes (I know very few people who haven't), but they said that my response in question was if I had ever tried cocain.  NO!  I have never seen the drug until my current job as a security officer.  I was not offered the job.  When I called back and asked the recruiter why, he stated that the chief didn't feel that I was ready for their department.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box flfd
New User

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 12:10pm
Going through a divorce and custody battle. My soon to be Ex-wife has accussed me of molesting my kids.  Against my lawyers advice I volunteer to take a polygraph test, because I had done nothing to my kids.  Everyone told me they are accurate.  However, It came back that I failed.  I don't know why.  The only thing I can figure is that I felt angery evertime I was asked about my kids.
Has anyone had a experince like this one?

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never taken the damm thing.  Maybe my experience will help someone else.  I will never take another one.   

One of the deputies told me that some one had admited to murder, but had failed the polograph test and they let him walk.  I thought you idiot, you just let someone walk because of this test.  We have some smart cops out their!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box redwriter
New User

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:45pm
I am so glad to know that I am not alone!  I was arrested on a charge of cocaine possession -- a small amount was allegedly found in a purse that a friend purchased as a trade sample.  Well, getting past that the point is that I had no idea it was in the bag and I agreed to take a polygraph test on the advice of my attorney.   

I was told that everything I said was true, including the fact that I had never lied about anything of a serious nature, but that I lied about knowing the bottle was in my purse!  If that is no something of a serious nature, what is?

I was telling the absolute truth and failed.  My advice is to never take a polygraph test which tells you that you are a liar when you know you are not!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:53pm
redwriter wrote on Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:45pm:
I am so glad to know that I am not alone!  I was arrested on a charge of cocaine possession -- a small amount was allegedly found in a purse that a friend purchased as a trade sample.  Well, getting past that the point is that I had no idea it was in the bag and I agreed to take a polygraph test on the advice of my attorney.   

I was told that everything I said was true, including the fact that I had never lied about anything of a serious nature, but that I lied about knowing the bottle was in my purse!  If that is no something of a serious nature, what is?

I was telling the absolute truth and failed.  My advice is to never take a polygraph test which tells you that you are a liar when you know you are not!

redwriter,

Indeed, I think anyone suspected of a crime would be well-advised to refuse to submit to any polygraph "test." Polygraphy has no scientific basis, and as used by police is often little more than a pretext for interrogating a suspect without a lawyer present. (Usually, no one is allowed to be in the polygraph room except the examiner and the examinee. Having a lawyer by the examinee's side would make getting confessions harder.) Your attorney gave you very poor advice, in my opinion.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2005 at 7:27am
I concur with George ......

Your lawyer was either ignorant of the polygraph and its lack of validity. Or just didn't have enough experience to counter the polygraph usage on you, as his client. The minute you sign that waiver, you give up your 4th & 5th amendment rights. According to other posts by DarkCobra on another thread. THe examiner is still not off the hook or the agency he works for. The examiner still can be sued. ( I am investigating that one as we speak, details to follow), Still never say yes to a polygraph.  The examiner never plays by the rules of fairness, he wants a confession, period.

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box spark
New User

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 5:56am
EOS,

What 4th Amendment rights is one giving up when they sign a waiver waiving their 5th Amendment rights?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2005 at 7:01am
Spark,

Here is the link to the posting I did earlier:

http://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?board=Proc;action=display;num=10...

You will see my post on the amendments ... 

Or see the Polygraph countermeasure challenge thread and go to Sept 4th of this year .... look for my ID on the message to Nonombre ... enjoy 

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X